Worst Case Scenario

DrDetecto

Ok, so here's a hypothetical for you: we get the 5th pick. The 1st round goes down like this:

Miami- Glenn Dorsey

St. Louis- Jake Long

Oakland- Sedrick Ellis

Kansas City- Ryan Clady

No one wants to trade up for McFadden, so you're stuck. Who do you go with? (Now I know it's not the most realistic situation, but it's worst case scenario possible)

Chris Long would be nice to add to our D Line, but taking him would seem like we are declaring Jamal Anderson is a bust. Matt Ryan... :sick:. I tried to list all the options on the poll I could think of.

DrDetecto (2/17/2008)
Ok, so here's a hypothetical for you: we get the 5th pick. The 1st round goes down like this:

Miami- Glenn Dorsey

St. Louis- Jake Long

Oakland- Sedrick Ellis

Kansas City- Ryan Clady

No one wants to trade up for McFadden, so you're stuck. Who do you go with? (Now I know it's not the most realistic situation, but it's worst case scenario possible)

Chris Long would be nice to add to our D Line, but taking him would seem like we are declaring Jamal Anderson is a bust. Matt Ryan... :sick:. I tried to list all the options on the poll I could think of.

Chris Long is probably not an option although he's a very good player. For one he's the perfect 3-4 guy--can play the 4-3--but a perfect 3-4 End. And while i don't think that drafting him declares Anderson a bust, i think it ties up a lot of valuable cap room. I know that the giants have a bevy of DEs that were first round talents. But they didn't draft them all in the first round, much less in the top 8. Tuck and Uminorya were 3rd and 2nd round guys. Ironically only MATHIAS KIWANUKA was a first rounder--#32 overall.

Top 8 rookie contracts in one position is not an option IMO.

Eric Obraiden (2/17/2008)
.leon (2/17/2008)
I reckon we could trade down in that situation. A number of teams would want Chris Long or Dmac or even Matt Ryan. I'm thinking Jets or Cincy.

Be nice, though it's tough to trade down from the top 5--lots of teams don't want to pay that price. We'd take Ryan

Maybe we wouldn't get the right value based on the points system, but I'd rather get Mendenhall than Dmac or Chris Long anyways, so if we could even pick up just 1 more extra pick to trade down a few spots it would be worth it, even if it seems stupid based on the points system.

Whoever said that Chris Long is a perfect 3-4 End is sadly mistaken. A perfect 3-4 end is one who weighs around 300 lbs and takes up 2 blockers. Long is about 20 pounds short of that, and he's way too much of a playmaker to be a guy who just takes up blockers. He'd be a great fit in a 4-3 because of his versatility and the fact that he'd play great on either side, even on the inside during obvious passing situations.

In my opinion, this isn't worst case scenario. Worst case scenario is

1. Chris Long

2. Glenn Dorsey

3. Sedrick Ellis

4. Jake Long

In which case we get Ryan Clady.