matt ryan

dan minnich

i swear you guys sound like philly fans when they drafted mcnabb over williams and ryan isnt even a falcon yet and may not be a falcon. i will say that i am a matt ryan fan however if we do end up with the 3rd pick i would much rather have ellis, dorsey or mcfadden but if we do draft ryan and he turns out to be a player as good as mcnabb i bet the same people who are bashing him are going to be the same people saying i wanted ryan this whole time.

dan minnich (2/17/2008)
i swear you guys sound like philly fans when they drafted mcnabb over williams and ryan isnt even a falcon yet and may not be a falcon. i will say that i am a matt ryan fan however if we do end up with the 3rd pick i would much rather have ellis, dorsey or mcfadden but if we do draft ryan and he turns out to be a player as good as mcnabb i bet the same people who are bashing him are going to be the same people saying i wanted ryan this whole time.

Tell me one thing about Ryan that makes him so much better than every other QB that affords him the #3-5 pick in the draft.

some of the things i like about him is that he is the opposite of mike vick. i like the fact that he is big qb and a leader.he is calm under pressure he is smart and can read defenses and has very good technique and throwing mechanics. he is also a winner and made B.C a winning team when they didnt have the talent or business of winnning 4 games. he can by time and move well in the pocket and set up his feet to make nice accurate throws when moving. he also ran a pro style offense at b.c so he can come in and start as a rookie if need be. i also like the fact that he is passionate and dedicated to the game of football.

i know what your going to send back at me so dont even bother, your going to bring up stats but if you went on stats colt brennen would be the first player drafted this year. like i said im a matt ryan fan but at pick 3 i would rather walk away either dorsey or ellis.

dan minnich (2/17/2008)
some of the things i like about him is that he is the opposite of mike vick. i like the fact that he is big qb and a leader.he is calm under pressure he is smart and can read defenses and has very good technique and throwing mechanics. he is also a winner and made B.C a winning team when they didnt have the talent or business of winnning 4 games. he can by time and move well in the pocket and set up his feet to make nice accurate throws when moving. he also ran a pro style offense at b.c so he can come in and start as a rookie if need be. i also like the fact that he is passionate and dedicated to the game of football.

i know what your going to send back at me so dont even bother, your going to bring up stats but if you went on stats colt brennen would be the first player drafted this year. like i said im a matt ryan fan but at pick 3 i would rather walk away either dorsey or ellis.

You have me mistaken, I'm not a stat guy. Like you I love the intangibles. I see where you say that he has good mobility and all. Please don't try and make this a Ryan vs Vick thing. It irks a little. That can actually start undo racial banter which I'm not interested in. You see, Ryan is not much different than the rest. I see various similarities in Ryan and Alex Smith as well (who I like, but where he is). For me I see a lot of QB's in this draft who have equal talents across the board and if you think on it you can either take Ryan in the first (passing up on Longx2, Dorsey, Ellis, or DMC) or get one of the guys that I mentioned and still get Flacco (opposite of Vick), Henne, Brennen (don't knock him), Dixon, or Johnson.

Legion (2/17/2008)
dan minnich (2/17/2008)

You have me mistaken, I'm not a stat guy. Like you I love the intangibles. I see where you say that he has good mobility and all. Please don't try and make this a Ryan vs Vick thing. It irks a little. That can actually start undo racial banter which I'm not interested in. You see, Ryan is not much different than the rest. I see various similarities in Ryan and Alex Smith as well (who I like, but where he is). For me I see a lot of QB's in this draft who have equal talents across the board and if you think on it you can either take Ryan in the first (passing up on Longx2, Dorsey, Ellis, or DMC) or get one of the guys that I mentioned and still get Flacco (opposite of Vick), Henne, Brennen (don't knock him), Dixon, or Johnson.

i can assure you this has nothing to do with race and when i say opposite of vick i mean from a football perspective only. vick to me never utilized all of his talents he just relied on them which was why he never got better. vick to me threw one of the best balls i have ever seen he just wasnt very accurate but when he dropped back steped into the pocket and released the ball on time it was a thing of beauty.

i some what agree with you that most of the qbs are bunched up but i still think ryan is top of the class followed by brohm(who is flying under the radar) than the rest is take your pick, for me its henne, flacco, booty, ainge, josh johnson and than woodson.

Booty, Ainge, they all have great tools to build around. I don't like Woodson though. As for Vick not using his skills, this could be off-field behavior affecting him to some degree. No excuses though as I understand the point. In college he was grad though. This year I'm just not seeing guys who place themselves apart from the pack enough to like the idea of spending a first round on them. 2nd round may seem like a First round part two if we play chess correctly in the first. If not, it'll be more like two second rounds if we are not careful and other teams like KC and St. Louis may end up having the draft that we could've had.

i dont think the guy is just getting by...hes 6'6 with a big arm and can escape pressure ..ala peyton manning....which is what flacco can become and what the falcons so desperately need...a solid franchise QB...and i think that flacco is just a better option than ryan. but just my opinion..

geminiBG (2/17/2008)
i dont think the guy is just getting by...hes 6'6 with a big arm and can escape pressure ..ala peyton manning....which is what flacco can become and what the falcons so desperately need...a solid franchise QB...and i think that flacco is just a better option than ryan. but just my opinion..

He is nothing like PM. He's pretty good, but not like Peyton.

Legion (2/17/2008)
dan minnich (2/17/2008)
geminiBG (2/17/2008)
joe flacco

to me joe flacco is the that is a little overrated. he is getting by on size and arm strengh but jim drunkenmiller had both of those qualities also.

This is true. This is so very true, but as I've stated Matt Ryan puts me in the mind of Alex Smith...

im not seeing the comparison of matt ryan and alex smith. why do you think that??? i would say ryan has a better throwing motion, and way better arm strength. alex smith to me is more mobile than ryan and i dont mean in the pocket i mean out of the pocket.

geminiBG (2/17/2008)

yeah i dont see peyton manning at all. i see more of drew bledsoe right now but im still doing my research on him.

dan minnich (2/17/2008)

It's sounding more and more like Brohm may be available with our first second round pick. If so, I'd be pleased if we picked him. It's slightly concerning that he's slipped so much, but that's mostly due to some minor injuries and lack of a supporting cast.

im not seeing the comparison of matt ryan and alex smith. why do you think that??? i would say ryan has a better throwing motion, and way better arm strength. alex smith to me is more mobile than ryan and i dont mean in the pocket i mean out of the pocket.

Well they were similar in college and Matt Ryan can duck and run pretty damned well when he has to. I see certain similarities. I've heard people compare him to Bledsoe and I don't buy it.

dan minnich (2/17/2008)
jeff george and flacco thats not bad either, lets hope flacco will be able to put together his huge talents and not be a head case.

as for brohm i cant see him falling into the 2nd round. i would have to think the bears would draft him with there 14th pick.

All true. Just watched some Ryan Highlights at his Heisman site and he looks pro-ish. He moves pretty hyper and to tell the truth he's not the opposite of Vick. He doesn't just move around, this guy is a headache to defend against (I play DB in the semi-pros). He's one of the better QB's in the draft, I stand corrected. Still not a top 5 guy though, but you can build around him.

dan minnich (2/17/2008)
s i like the fact that he is big qb and a leader.he is calm under pressure he is smart and can read defenses and has very good technique and throwing mechanics.

Since when is he calm under pressure? And smart and can read defense?? Please! The man throws way too many picks for anybody to say he can read a defense. Also, the man crumbles under pressure. He looked good against Va Tech in the first game because they were resting their starters because there was only 2 minutes left and they were up by 14. There's easily 3 Qb's that would be better picks than Ryan and 1 that if we were to pick in the top five that I'd rather have. He played average against average defenses.