Big Trade for hawks in the near future!!

SacFalcFan

Trade rumblings and Big Al shining

By Sekou K Smith | Friday, February 15, 2008, 11:33 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

NEW ORLEANS - With a plethora of the things to blog about from the Crescent City on All-Star Weekend, leave it up to me to hit you with some scraps of what I m hearing about the Hawks.

Yeah, those same Hawks you re beefin with right now over that 0-4 slide heading into the ASW.

Word is they ve got something brewing, a trade that could drastically change the look of this team heading into this week s Western Conference road trip and beyond.

It wouldn t be right to share details right now. Not with the particulars still somewhat murky and no deal officially done (what I can tell you is that not all the talent is heading to the Western Conference. Some of it might head East).

But if you come here anytime over the weekend, there will be updates. Seriously, I wouldn t leave you hanging after this type of build up. And if the deal I ve heard rumblings about doesn t happen, I m going break it down for you as well.

What I can tell you is this, after all the moaning and groaning that s gone on around here over the Hawks sitting on their nest and not seeking out a spark to shake things up a bit, there appears to be a serious roster shake up on the horizon. And I mean SERIOUS!

Seriously, it ll be worth checking in this weekend to see if the thing comes together.

Sights and sounds from the Big Easy on Friday:

Al Horford was the picture of efficiency in the Rookie Challenge, piling up 19 points and seven rebounds in just 21 minutes and 21 seconds of action. He shot a smooth 8-for-10 from the floor and handled his business. Very impressive. And there isn t a person here who doesn t think this kid will spend a few All-Star Weekends in the future in uniform. And Big Al was more than happy to represent for the city of Atlanta and the Hawks. I think it helps just to get the name out there - the Atlanta Hawks organization, he said of he and Joe Johnson s obligation this weekend. I m very proud to represent it and so is Joe Johnson. I feel like coming to a game like this gives us confidence going into the second half of the season.

Cleveland guard Daniel Gibson shot the lights out in the Sophomore s 136-109 win. He was a stunning 11-for-20 from beyond the 3-point line (and 11-for-20 from the floor). It was insane. LeBron James wouldn t sit down during the dazzling show, jumping to his feet every time Gibson drainer another shot. Yeah, it was unbelievable, Gibson said. It was special. I never imagined. I never dreamed that I would come out and shoot the ball as well as I did in an environment and atmosphere like that. So right now I really don t know what to say. Hope he saved some of that mojo for Saturday s 3-point shootout. But he wasn t alone Friday. The second year guys shot a wicked 17-for-32 from deep, amazing even in a game where Horford and Paul Millsap were the only dudes even attempting to play defense.

The folks questioning Joe Johnson s credentials as an All-Star better not ask his teammates here if they think he deserves it. They scoffed at the idea that he s here on credit (he got shafted last year and wasn t included until Jason Kidd got hurt and had to bow out) rather than merit. It was quite interesting the way they rallied to his defense when the questions (not necessarily from me but from other journalists, many from abroad) about whether he belonged cranked up.

As impressive, athletically, as some of these first and second year players looked, there has to be a better way to stage this type of game. I don t have any fresh suggestions. But it s getting uglier and uglier by the year. The rookies have lost six straight, and counting.

One last thing. Talk about putting your front office on the spot. Check out Carmelo Anthony s response when asked (not by me, there was a swarm of journalists around every player during Friday s media availability session) what he thought about all the trades taking place in the Western Conference? I m just waiting for my phone to ring and see what we are going to do, he said. The West is getting back to the way it used to be. The Western Conference race is tough right now even for us because we are in the ninth spot I think, so we are trying for eighth. It s going to come down to the last game in the season I can tell you that. Every team in the West has a chance to make the playoffs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sources: Kings close to trading Bibby to Hawks

The Kings have reached an agreement in principle to send veteran guard Mike Bibby to the Atlanta Hawks for guards Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue and forwards Lorenzen Wright and Shelden Williams, sources told The Bee on Saturday.

The deal is contingent upon league approval that could come as early as today. According to sources who did not want to be identified because of ongoing trade discussions, there is a 1 p.m. conference call scheduled between the two teams and league officials.

When reached Saturday morning, Bibby said he was a bit surprised to hear Atlanta was the destination, but not that he was going to be traded.

"I had some good times here in Sacramento," said Bibby, who became known with the Kings as one of the league's better clutch shot-makers. "Sometimes you need a change and you never know where that might take you. I just prayed and asked for what might be the best for my family and this is what happened, so you can't question it.

"I'll always have love for the people in Sacramento, the Maloofs and (President) Geoff (Petrie)."

Dallas and New Jersey this week worked out a trade that would send point guards Jason Kidd to the Mavericks and Devin Harris to the Nets as the central figures. However, the trade has not been able to get league approval because of a contract situation involving Dallas swingman Devean George.

The reasons behind the deal for the Kings and the Hawks are clear and different. Atlanta is a young team attempting to make the playoffs for the first time since the 1998-99 season. Sacramento, meanwhile, is trying to clear salary cap space to become a player on the free-agency market as well as increasing its ability to make trades. Each of the players acquired by the Kings has an expiring contract.

Atlanta makes its only visit to Sacramento on Wednesday, and starting for the Hawks in his first game, conceivably, could be Bibby. His expected departure removes the final piece from the Kings core that consistently challenged to make the NBA Finals during the first half of this decade, but never could get over the hump.

I don't like it.

If it was for AJ and Wright that would be one thing since Sactown just wants to get some expiring contracts but Lue is good for us off of the bench and to give up on Williams after spending such a high pick on him just doesn't make sense.

What this would do however is tighten the rotation for us a bit and free up some more time for Law and maybe Staudemire but neither seem to be playing with much confidence these days.

coryb78 (2/16/2008)
I don't like it.

If it was for AJ and Wright that would be one thing since Sactown just wants to get some expiring contracts but Lue is good for us off of the bench and to give up on Williams after spending such a high pick on him just doesn't make sense.

What this would do however is tighten the rotation for us a bit and free up some more time for Law and maybe Staudemire but neither seem to be playing with much confidence these days.

the reasoning for the kings is obvious.. you get expiring contracts and you can get a bunch of available money next year.. and i see why the hawks want bibby.. it's not a bad trade for either team.. at least i can still root for bibby..

coryb78 (2/16/2008)
Yeah I can see why Sacramento wants these players but I just don't like the inclusion of Lue or Williams.

Very serious question: You do realize that Bibby is a solid, productive, fulltime starting pg who's a former allstar caliber player, and is still just 29....and we got him for a pair of backup point guards who can't defend, nor be playmakers...and Blorenzen Wright and Shelden Williams...neither of which get much playing time here. What the **** do you expect Bibby is worth? AJ and Wright?...Are you kidding? He's at worst a decent starting Pg...you have to give up something.

So is this the projected line-up:

PG-Bibby

SG- J.Johnson

SF- Marvin Williams

PF- Josh Smith

C- Al Horford

depth:

PG- Acie (who needed some more playing time, so trading both Lue & AJ isn't a bad deal)

SG- Salim Stoudamire (also needed more PT), Josh Childress

SF- ? Mario West?

PF- ?

C- Zaza Pachuilia

Not much for depth, but a pretty solid starting line-up, if you ask me.

coryb78 (2/16/2008)
I don't agree with trading 1/3 of your roster for any guy.

I'm not wholly against the trade because it's not like any of these guys are gamebreakers but unfortunately Bibby is also not a gamebreaker.

Even if it's the 1/3 of your team that shouldn't see decent minutes for any legit team in the leauge? Lue and Wright are straight up scrubs, AJ is old, and Shelden is zero upside...he's a solid rebounder and has a solid mid range jumper, but can't score in the post, and can't protect the paint......We just traded 4 guys who can't really play for one who can..I fail the see the loss.....

Saying these guys aren't gamebreakers is technically true, but it's the understatement of the year. No who else isn't a gamebreaker? Josh Childress....is he in any way comparable to Tlue? The guys we gave away are garbage, who only got playing time here because we had no other legit options.....Bibby has started and played well for a finals contender in the West..........I'm thrilled...I don't think Bibby is elite anymore, but he's a legit, solid starter at the point...something we desperately needed, and we didn't give up anything of real worth, outside of a decent backup big in Shelden.

mr pickle (2/16/2008)
coryb78 (2/16/2008)
Yeah I can see why Sacramento wants these players but I just don't like the inclusion of Lue or Williams.

Very serious question: You do realize that Bibby is a solid, productive, fulltime starting pg who's a former allstar caliber player, and is still just 29....and we got him for a pair of backup point guards who can't defend, nor be playmakers...and Blorenzen Wright and Shelden Williams...neither of which get much playing time here. What the **** do you expect Bibby is worth? AJ and Wright?...Are you kidding? He's at worst a decent starting Pg...you have to give up something.

Exactly.

I like this deal.

The only thing that I don't like about it is giving up yet another draft pick.

our second rounder pick is also included in this deal. We won't have a first round pick because of the Joe Johnson trade and now the second rounder will be gone as well.

Kings fans should like getting expiring contracts (w/except for Sheldon Williams) and a second round pick. They can be players in free agency and get another shot at a younger player via the draft.

biggdawg96 (2/16/2008)
The only thing that I don't like about it is giving up yet another draft pick.

our second rounder pick is also included in this deal. We won't have a first round pick because of the Joe Johnson trade and now the second rounder will be gone as well.

Kings fans should like getting expiring contracts (w/except for Sheldon Williams) and a second round pick. They can be players in free agency and get another shot at a younger player via the draft.

Where have you seen that we are giving up a 2nd? That would certainly change my opinion on the trade as well, but I have yet to see that anywhere.

Edit: just saw it on ESPN, the Sacramento Bee is reporting a 2nd will be included. That sucks...

Good trade for us. We get a proven, All-Star calibur PG, who can run an up-tempo offense and can hit the open jumper.

We give up Shelden (role player off the bench, at best), Wright (no comment), Johnson (who gave us good minutes, but has a very inconsistent shot), and Lue (very good shooter, below average on defense). Not a bad deal at all.

EddieK (2/16/2008)
Good trade for us. We get a proven, All-Star calibur PG, who can run an up-tempo offense and can hit the open jumper.

We give up Shelden (role player off the bench, at best), Wright (no comment), Johnson (who gave us good minutes, but has a very inconsistent shot), and Lue (very good shooter, below average on defense). Not a bad deal at all.

This is a great trade for the Hawks. People obviously don't know much about bibby to say that it's bad to trade 4 role players for a guy of his ability.. He is 29 years old and an all-star talented player.