Strike looming after next year. Will YKW be the reason?

hawkeyes

hawkeyes (2/16/2008)
The NFL and is wanting to vacate the Federal Judge ruling that YKW can keep 16 million, because that would mean other players could keep money that are in situations. Will there be no pro football in 2009 because of YKW?
Yes, and I hear global warming can be directly traced back to #7.

You may be onto something. There was a report on ESPN that said the owners were going to either pull out of the current collective bargaining agreement or not renew it as it currently is because they have no recourse in situations similar to Vicks.

By similar I don't mean "players who go to prison", but instead I believe they were referring to the idea that once a bonus is given there isn't a dependable way to reclaim any of those funds if a player does something to warrant being removed from the team. I may not be using the correct wording here but there appears to be a concern that the Vick situation has highlighted something that the owners do not like in the current agreement and that they are willing to fight over it after next season.

xnex (2/16/2008)
You may be onto something. There was a report on ESPN that said the owners were going to either pull out of the current collective bargaining agreement or not renew it as it currently is because they have no recourse in situations similar to Vicks.

By similar I don't mean "players who go to prison", but instead I believe they were referring to the idea that once a bonus is given there isn't a dependable way to reclaim any of those funds if a player does something to warrant being removed from the team. I may not be using the correct wording here but there appears to be a concern that the Vick situation has highlighted something that the owners do not like in the current agreement and that they are willing to fight over it after next season.

Maybe they simply should not pay players ahead of time. Owners pay roster bonuses and the like for salary cap reasons. If they were not able to foresee that paying someone a huge amount of money with no recourse of getting it back was problematic -- well, so be it. They signed on to the system. If I pay a guy a small fortune (maybe I want a big tax writeoff) to reinsulate my house, knowing full well I can't get my money back if he gets thrown in jail, or whatever, before the house is insulated, how smart am I?