The common sense reasons why Alge was cut

1) He was a salary cap cut -- according to nfl.com, Alge was going to be a $5.1MM cap hit. My guess is that he would not renegotiate his contract as many people thought he might have to.

2) He wasn't traded because no one else viewed him to be valued that high

3) He's 30 and he's not viewed to have recovered from his knee injuries, thus might not regain his former levels of production

4) Alge was done with the Falcons and may have requested the cut

ether422 (2/16/2008)
and look up how many dropped passes he's had over the past 2 years.. more specifically dropped td passes.

Exactly , Give me a TE and a WR that can catch everything over one that can do everything else but drops passes . I don't care how fast he is , as long as he hasd great hands and is smooth in his routes.

chickenfried (2/16/2008)
1) He was a salary cap cut -- according to nfl.com, Alge was going to be a $5.1MM cap hit. My guess is that he would not renegotiate his contract as many people thought he might have to.

3) He's 30 and he's not viewed to have recovered from his knee injuries, thus might not regain his former levels of production

Now give us some common sense reasons why Harrington, Brooking, Dunn, Jenkins, Finneran,

Forney, Weiner, Horn, Milner shakes his head and others weren't.

The cut makes perfect sense to me.

With the $5 mill Crump was to make, we can sign a big, strong possession FA WR to compliment Roddy and Laurant Robinson. This scheme needs the possession WR more than it needs a TE that can catch the ball like a WR.

Crumpler is a high priced 30 year old complete TE that is not a great match for the new scheme. Furthermore, the Falcons are in a major rebuilding phase that is more than a year or two off from coming together. If Crumper was 25 years old he could possible still be here, but he's not.

Excellent TE's can be found in the middle rounds and we need a young guy to develop far more than a 30 year old overpaid vet at this point.

Actually, if Finneran can stay healthy and is still able to play, he would be exactly that.. a posession receiver ;)

So is Horn at this point in his career.

But we can easily sign a good blocking TE for around 2-3 Millions and then spend the rest on someone else.. Sad to see Crump go, but i really think his knees must be very, very close to giving out completely.

Remember he had been having problems (chronical problems) for over 3 years now!

gazoo (2/16/2008)
The cut makes perfect sense to me.

What part of Harrington, Brooking, Dunn, Finneran, Horn, etc. makes sense?

With the $5 mill Crump was to make, we can sign a big, strong possession FA WR to compliment Roddy and Laurant Robinson. This scheme needs the possession WR more than it needs a TE that can catch the ball like a WR.

Harringtons 8 yard bombs on 3rd and 12 make this point moot.

Crumpler is a high priced 30 year old complete TE that is not a great match for the new scheme. Furthermore, the Falcons are in a major rebuilding phase that is more than a year or two off from coming together. If Crumper was 25 years old he could possible still be here, but he's not.

Refer back to my earlier point.

Excellent TE's can be found in the middle rounds and we need a young guy to develop far more than a 30 year old overpaid vet at this point.

And how old is Brooking, Dunn, Finneran, Horn etc.? And they make how much??

Now give us some common sense reasons why Harrington, Brooking, Dunn, Jenkins, Finneran,

Forney, Weiner, Horn, Milner shakes his head and others weren't.

The reason Harrington wasn't cut is because with Lefty gone the only QBs under contract are Harrington and DJ. With DJ's injury last year they are not sure if he will be able to recover. So keeping Harrington was smart because they want at least one healthy QB under contract, and Harrington was better then Lefty and not as injury prone. Redman has to be resigned, and there is no guarantee the falcons will be able to resign him, they most likely will be able to though. Harrington might be cut later, DJ too for that matter, but that is why he is still here at this time. I heard that Finneran is thinking about retirement, so it would make sense to see if he retires before you cut him. Some of these players might be cut later, but you don't want to cut everyone all at once, it's easier to replace a few then the whole team. But they might be thinking about keeping some of them too, just because you guys don't like them doesn't mean the coaches don't like them. Besides if you look at the cuts you can see that they are more focused on the line for both sides. It looks like to me that they want to get them as strong as they can. They must feel they can get more good linemen through draft, free agents then other positions. Some positions like WRs etc might not be their top priority for this year. They might be top priority next year. Then again those cuts could come later.

Smashmouth, none of us know what is going on behind the scenes with all the guys that have been kept so far. There could be trade options, restructuring options or it could have been that guys wanted out and an early chance to hook on with other teams.

Alge has been awesome for this team but I know he was a bit disgruntled last year and maybe, just maybe, he was ready to move on. Who knows.

This is a brand new chapter for the Falcons and I am willing to wait and see what TD and Coach Smith have in mind as a WHOLE before I get all wigged out.

Just see it through the draft and then start making your mind up. I think its a little early at this point to start getting all fired up.

Smashmouth

What part of Harrington, Brooking, Dunn, Finneran, Horn, etc. makes sense?

Reading is fundamental (RIF)

Crumpler was cut for several reasons and I laid them all out. He wasn;t just cut for his age, he wasn;t just cut for his salary, he wasn;t just cut for any one reason.

As far as these other names, we are not done yet. Brooking had more solo tackles than Ray Lewsis and Lance Briggs last year, Brooking fits our scheme not to mention Brooking has probably been asked to take a paycut. It has been said we are trying to trade Dunn for a draft pick or player. Are you saying since Dunn wasn;t cut he;s a lock to make next years starting lineup? You know that BS so just stop.

Of course, you are smart enough to interpret my post as clearly defining multiple reasons Crumper was cut , but you shoose to provide a response based on your intentionally false interpretation anyway.

goosedaddy70 (2/16/2008)
This is a brand new chapter for the Falcons and I am willing to wait and see what TD and Coach Smith have in mind as a WHOLE before I get all wigged out.

It's coming though... New Chapter same ole tired book! :doze:

Just see it through the draft and then start making your mind up. I think its a little early at this point to start getting all fired up.

Unfortunately my mind works a **** of alot faster then that.

There is a extremely slight chance we visionaries could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

You'll see...

Smashmouth (2/16/2008)
chickenfried (2/16/2008)

Now give us some common sense reasons why Harrington, Brooking, Dunn, Jenkins, Finneran,Forney, Weiner, Horn, Milner shakes his head and others weren't.

Harrington, Finneran, Milner, Jenkins are not costing very much against the cap. But they can still also be released before Feb. 29th.

Forney, possibly Dunn & Brooking might still hold a little trade value. If there are any discussions with any of those 3, you wouldn't cut them while discussions were ongoing.

Weiner, may be waiting to see how he is recovering. If it's slow, he's a possible June 1st cut, because it's not going to really affect him that much if he's not going to be ready by the start of the season. Also, his contract, like Forney's is reasonable.

Brooking probably won't be released, he's probably working a restructure of his deal right now to make it more cap friendly. He'll most likely move outside where D-Mo/Nicholas are/were.

Dunn, has to be most likely an attempt to trade him before releasing him. Not sure what they hope to get out of him though.

goosedaddy70

Smashmouth, none of us know what is going on behind the scenes with all the guys that have been kept so far. .

You are telling him something he already knows. He knows we aren't done. He knows this scheme requires a bigger possession WR more than pass catching TE. Yet he acts confused at how Horn, the only bigger possession WR we have could still be here (for now) and Crump is gone.

For whatever reason he set forth a bogus counter argument to the multpile reasons I set out, ostensibly becuase he doesn't want to listen to sound reasoning.

gazoo (2/16/2008)
Reading is fundamental (RIF)

Crumpler was cut for several reasons and I laid them all out. He wasn;t just cut for his age, he wasn;t just cut for his salary, he wasn;t just cut for any one reason.

That Crumpler cut is not as big a surprise as the Brooking, Dunn and Finneran non cuts.

As far as these other names, we are not done yet. Brooking had more solo tackles than Ray Lewsis and Lance Briggs last year, Brooking fits our scheme not to mention Brooking has probably been asked to take a paycut.

Perhaps if your scheme is modeled after the AARP flag football team he fits...

Brooking has always benefited from a lot of mysterious paper tackles precipitated by some

PA announcer payola or something.

It has been said we are trying to trade Dunn for a draft pick or player. Are you saying since Dunn wasn;t cut he;s a lock to make next years starting lineup? You know that BS so just stop.

Trade him? To who?? Pigtrino :blink: I mean really...

Gazoo, Do you really believe we could trade that guy to anyone with modern technology as a information source.

Of course, you are smart enough to interpret my post as clearly defining multiple reasons Crumper was cut

Crumpler's not the issue here.

but you shoose to provide a response based on your intentionally false interpretation anyway.

I choose to look at it in my own unique way, as opposed to buying into the cool-aid club pov.

Smashmouth (2/16/2008)[hr
It has been said we are trying to trade Dunn for a draft pick or player. Are you saying since Dunn wasn;t cut he;s a lock to make next years starting lineup? You know that BS so just stop.

Trade him? To who?? Pigtrino :blink: I mean really...

Gazoo, Do you really believe we could trade that guy to anyone with modern technology as a information source.

We got value for allen rossum, and jason webster still managed to be signed as a starter after we released him. it might not be a very high pick, but i'm sure someone will find some value in dunn

Robb4242 (2/16/2008)
Harrington, Finneran, Milner, Jenkins are not costing very much against the cap. But they can still also be released before Feb. 29th.

Unless they're being paid monopoly money, they're being over paid for lack of production.

Forney, possibly Dunn & Brooking might still hold a little trade value. If there are any discussions with any of those 3, you wouldn't cut them while discussions were ongoing.

Keep dreaming :satisfied:... I wouldn't be saddled with any of them to begin with.

Weiner, may be waiting to see how he is recovering. If it's slow, he's a possible June 1st cut, because it's not going to really affect him that much if he's not going to be ready by the start of the season. Also, his contract, like Forney's is reasonable.

Unfortunately they're play on the field is unreasonable!

At this point keeping much less paying them should be out of the question!!

Brooking probably won't be released, he's probably working a restructure of his deal right now to make it more cap friendly. He'll most likely move outside where D-Mo/Nicholas are/were.
Dunn, has to be most likely an attempt to trade him before releasing him. Not sure what they hope to get out of him though.

Complete matching pair of Mummy's for the "ghoul" eeerrrummm "cool aid" club.

Smashmouth (2/16/2008)
birds_till_death (2/16/2008)
We got value for allen rossum, and jason webster still managed to be signed as a starter after we released him. it might not be a very high pick, but i'm sure someone will find some value in dunn

Name me one team and why they would do a deal for Dunn?

No one knows what a team wants, or is willing to give up for a player!! But there may be one out there!! Only time will tell.:D

Smashmouth, it seems to me like you are the type of guy that has an excuse for everything in life that you don't like.

If things aren't exactly like YOU think they should be then something is horribly wrong.

Guess what, you don't matter that much. Crumpler may not have wanted to be here or he may have much more serious health problems than we know.

Whatever the reason, our Front Office thought it was best to let him go and therefore I am behind them.

Keep blaming everyone else for what you don't like and just see how far that gets you in life.

Joey is one of two Qb's under contract for the team until Reman can be resigned Joey will stay. After that he may get cut depending on how Shock rehab is doing.

Milner is a mid round draft pick that is not costing the team alot of money and did his job when asked last year and also cam from a running college so he understands how to block he could work well in the new system. Not a pro bowler or anything just a solid player for cheap

Horn this suprised me I thought he would be cut he must have had more to do with helping the yong WR then we think ???????????

Jenkins he has the size and speed to be a good slot WR I do not understand what has held him back he has shown promise and then will look bad???????

Brooking I can only think that he is willing to restructure his contract or at least talks are on going and until those are finished no desicion will be made on his future with the team

Dunn He just needs to go he time is gone, but maybe he is also under contract negotiations is the only reason why he is still here.

We will have to wait and see what the FO does but this the only reasons I can see to why more moves where not made

chickenfried (2/16/2008)

1. 5.1M? So what, he was by far the best TE we had and easily one of the better TEs in the league. What about Dunn and Brooking, don't give me cap issues. He was worth that 5M. When you rebuild, you don't make more holes.

2. That's a load of bull. If a team knows you're about to drop around 11 people and you need cap space, why would they try to trade for a veteran player on the team?

3. He had a knee issue early last year. That didn't stop him from coming back when Petrino stopped calling the plays and Redman was actually throwing the ball to score 3 TDs in the final 2 games.

4. Pure speculation.