HD-DVD Officially Dead. Toshiba Stop HD-DVD Fabrication.

womfalcs3

GEORGIAfan (2/16/2008)
yep its almost official. im not going to lie at 1st i was PS3, but then i switched, but after seeing the last company move it was over and bluray won. i feel bad for the people who picked HD DVD, and i wonder if they will have an Blu Ray drive for your comp, that works with Cds and dvds.

All blu-ray playing devices play back BD's (blu-ray discs), DVD's, and CD's. Some, like the older PS3's, even play SACD's.

Guess all the people that were excited that M$ didn't force HD-DVD on them with the 360 were right...sucks to be one of the people that bought the HD-DVD add on at full price though...

I wonder when we'll find the add on in the bargain bin at stores for like 30 bucks? Think I'm gonna stock up on my HD collection when Toshiba finally pulls the plug and everyone slashes prices on HD-DVD stuff to get rid of it.

I'm so glad I waited until this competition was over before buying one. I would have went with HD about a year ago, now I know Blu-ray is the better product, so I will be purchasing one soon. Come to think of it I'll probably just buy a PS3.

After supporting the XBOX 360 for years, I am finally giving up on them, entirely too many problems for me to continue giving them money.

Headshot (2/16/2008)
I'm so glad I waited until this competition was over before buying one. I would have went with HD about a year ago, now I know Blu-ray is the better product, so I will be purchasing one soon. Come to think of it I'll probably just buy a PS3.

After supporting the XBOX 360 for years, I am finally giving up on them, entirely too many problems for me to continue giving them money.

The 360 isn't so bad if you got yours after September 07. (read: if your 360 has a HDMI port) Is M$ only replacing the broken 360s with refurbished old version 360s?

btrain5489 (2/16/2008)
Headshot (2/16/2008)

The 360 isn't so bad if you got yours after September 07. (read: if your 360 has a HDMI port) Is M$ only replacing the broken 360s with refurbished old version 360s?

I'm not sure, I have went through 3 different 360's in 10 months, and all of them had the same problems. Couldn't read completely unscratched disks, loud noises coming from the XBox every couple of minutes and continuous freezing of my games, not the mention the RLOD on 2 of them so far.

Gears of War and Halo is nowhere close to being enough for me to stick with the 360.

Headshot (2/16/2008)
btrain5489 (2/16/2008)
Headshot (2/16/2008)

I'm not sure, I have went through 3 different 360's in 10 months, and all of them had the same problems. Couldn't read completely unscratched disks, loud noises coming from the XBox every couple of minutes and continuous freezing of my games, not the mention the RLOD on 2 of them so far.

Gears of War and Halo is nowhere close to being enough for me to stick with the 360.

that sucks. (i'm sure womfalcs is about to crap himself in joy, but still) everybody says the new ones don't have problems, but i'm still kind of skeptical. the original xbox was pretty fragile too, as i remember.

the only problem i've ever had with my PS3 is that once or twice the screen froze in the middle of COD4 multiplayer and i had to reset it manually (the controller reset wouldn't work). but it started right back up.

Hey Womfalcs: here's a random ps3 question- how come sometimes when i start it up the background is yellow and other times it's just black?

Hey Womfalcs: here's a random ps3 question- how come sometimes when i start it up the background is yellow and other times it's just black?

The wave background changes colors based on day and month. It's always black at night. It starts off pink/yellow/orange/red/blue/etc. depending on month, and as the day progresses, it gets darker until it's black.

You can put on your own backgrounds though. You don't have to settle for the default PS3 background. Just use any picture on your HDD. You can also download themes from the internet or from the PS Store (Then you can alter the background image). Here's my theme/background:

http://i12.tinypic.com/8a0kmzt.jpg

womfalcs3 (2/16/2008)

The wave background changes colors based on day and month. It's always black at night. It starts off pink/yellow/orange/red/blue/etc. depending on month, and as the day progresses, it gets darker until it's black.

You can put on your own backgrounds though. You don't have to settle for the default PS3 background. Just use any picture on your HDD. You can also download themes from the internet or from the PS Store (Then you can alter the background image). Here's my theme/background:

wow that's crazy. thanks for the info.

i have a pic of my dogs as my background.

also- any word on when rumble controllers are coming out? these same dogs have completely chewed 1 of my controllers to crap and completely removed the rubberized skin on the sticks, and started destroying another. i'll just hold out for the rumble-function ones if they're coming out anytime soon.

XLDenaliReturns (2/16/2008)
womfalcs3 (2/16/2008)

wow that's crazy. thanks for the info.

i have a pic of my dogs as my background.

also- any word on when rumble controllers are coming out? these same dogs have completely chewed 1 of my controllers to crap and completely removed the rubberized skin on the sticks, and started destroying another. i'll just hold out for the rumble-function ones if they're coming out anytime soon.

DualShock 3 comes out in the US some time in the spring (Motion sensing + Rumble). I will buy one as soon as I buy MGS4. I believe DS3 will come out before MGS4.

Also, the themes/wallpaper images on the PS Store are free. (Implied attack from me to something else :P)

btrain5489 (2/16/2008)
Guess all the people that were excited that M$ didn't force HD-DVD on them with the 360 were right...sucks to be one of the people that bought the HD-DVD add on at full price though...

I wonder when we'll find the add on in the bargain bin at stores for like 30 bucks? Think I'm gonna stock up on my HD collection when Toshiba finally pulls the plug and everyone slashes prices on HD-DVD stuff to get rid of it.

Good thinking

Anyone who bought bluray or HDDVD this early in the game is out of their mind

Eh, Ill admit I was sceptical about blu-ray, but now it has won and its not a bad format so Im not too displeased.

Part of me really hopes that they take HDDVDs name... its going to be such a pain because blu-ray is such a random name, while HDDVD makes sense enough that people know what it is. I swear for the next 10 years Im going to have to deal with people mixing up blutooth and bluray.

lax32 (2/16/2008)
Eh, Ill admit I was sceptical about blu-ray, but now it has won and its not a bad format so Im not too displeased.

Part of me really hopes that they take HDDVDs name... its going to be such a pain because blu-ray is such a random name, while HDDVD makes sense enough that people know what it is. I swear for the next 10 years Im going to have to deal with people mixing up blutooth and bluray.

Soon everything will be blu. You are witnessing the beginnings of a blu world order.

lax32 (2/16/2008)

i disagree. h-d-d-v-d is too clunky. blu-ray just rolls off the tongue. besides, we need less acronyms in this world.

XLDenaliReturns (2/16/2008)
lax32 (2/16/2008)

i disagree. h-d-d-v-d is too clunky. blu-ray just rolls off the tongue. besides, we need less acronyms in this world.

But then how could we give players nicknames?

What will happen to KG, AI, TO, VY, LBJ, and everyone else?

morphy (2/16/2008)
As the owner of an HD-DVD player and about 12 titles, the biggest tragedy here is womfalcs thinking he is right and continuing to post about it.

Shut up. Through the midst of you and your anti-Sony posse saying blu-ray would fail and HD-DVD would win, my logic trumped yours. I was certain of BD's victory. Just as I am certain of the PS3's. So continue to doubt me... you will always fail.

----------------------

Although many people just say blu-ray, there's an acronym associate with it too. Blu-ray disc is abbreviated as BD.

So we go from DVD to BD.

womfalcs3 (2/16/2008)
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSL1627196120080216

Now with Best Buy recommending PS3's and BD players to its consumers who are looking for HD, and with Wal-Mart announcing that they will drop HD-DVD from their stores, we can all go home now as the war has ended.

Do you visit Videohelp. that my fav site.

womfalcs3 (2/16/2008)

Shut up. Through the midst of you and your anti-Sony posse saying blu-ray would fail and HD-DVD would win, my logic trumped yours. I was certain of BD's victory. Just as I am certain of the PS3's. So continue to doubt me... you will always fail.

Actually I've never said that HDDVD would win, or that BD would win. I don't hate Sony nor am I "anti-Sony". To hate Sony would mean that I'm pathetic enough to feel emotional about a brand war and come post about it on a message board.