What I Would Do

Knight of God

I'm not going to sit and drop names or anything, nor am I going to say what or how but I will give my planner if I were in the mode of this staff.

QB: I'd look for someone who is a straight athlete. What I mean is, Vick and Brady Quinn are athletes in a similar mode when you look at a natural standpoint. Quinn is a monster who can shrug off tackles/sacks and Vick is like catching a wet pig. Now that I've given you the idea. I'd find a guy in FA, the Draft, or trade that can handle himself and can make athletic plays on his own whether by scrambling or buying time in the pocket. A laser arm would be nice, but I'd prefer a mind like a computer.

RB: We have a burner and a TB/FB hybrid. Now we need a workhorse with some serious legs. Fast doesn't matter and neither does size, but I'd like the prototype version of a RB who can get 3-4 yds on every carry. He doesn't have to get 100ypg, but to gain 60-75yds on 20 carries and with a little steam behind him can soften a defense for our speedback to make the KO punch. With our bulldozer type FB, this can soften a DL pretty well and open the game up for some great plays.

TE: With A-Crump gone...we can now focus on runblocking and short yardage receptions. We have someone who may be in the wrong position who may be worthy of this role and may earn his dollars, if not we have a 2nd year man who has proven to be able to do the job if he isn't cut.

OL: Beef it up man! Find guys like Blalock who bench 225lbs for 40reps and have some size and go from there. You want runblockers not passblockers because you want a power running game. If the power running game is working then so will the pass blocking.

WR: Two more cuts please. One is old and the other is hurt. You have two young receivers in the same mold and one guy who can stand another year. If not, there are some guys with no-name tags and size who can play "big-man" slot which is a lot like TE and if taught well can be vital in crack-backs and block-downs in a power scheme.

DE: Since we may be going big here there is a DT who is good as a back-up LE to rotate with our 2nd year man and another back-up who can be cut. Somewhere in the mid-rounds you find a guy to back-up our right end or get a guy in FA who may have gone down in stock. One guy was cut by the Raiders after dropping from the 1st to 2nd to 3rd last year and he'd work well as a back-up. That will depend on the DT's though. DT's sometimes make all of the difference.

DT: PURGE!!! One guy should be a back-up LE, one should be a career back-up and one guy who is placed as a starter should be a roving back-up. Do away with the UT allocation altogether and get bulldozing monsters. They don't have to be HUGE, just mean as ****. Soldiers of the Apocalypse types who take no fodder from no one. If this happens watch our RE go to the Pro-Bowl, his back-up get good number (4-6 sacks) our second guy do better (6-7 sacks) and his back-up do well too. Also watch out LB corps monster up.

LB: Don't re-sign one guy, cut another guy, and hook another guy up thats on the team right now. We have a middle LB already. If you've already done the work to the DL then he may actually look like a certain Raven. On the other side keep our 2nd year man who can play middle as well as weakside, but as a back-up. Its time to man up at this position and get someone who can help the DE's. Turn this position into a monster position and to tell the truth, you're good.

CB: One guy doesn't make the secondary. The one that we have, you keep though. No one like throwing his way. This is why you keep the four guys at their current position. No change.

Safety: Don't re-sign one guy, cut the older one and rebuild! We have a 3rd year man who can play both positions and a 2nd year 6'3" guy who can back-up both. There are guys in the FA, draft(mid-round), or with a good trade who can really make a huge difference at the SS position.

KS: You want accuracy, not necessarily power.

Punter: Power and not necessarily accuaracy

PR/PR: Lets not get a repeat of last year. I don't like our speed back doing this job, it makes me nervous and the receiver who does this job is an idiot. Hey, here's an idea...give a DB a chance...anyone who isn't a starter or huge playmaker. I fear for guys that can make a difference at another position returning kicks.

Thats all...thoughts?

bret coburn (2/16/2008)
good luck finding that QB in FA or on earth lol no one has brady quinns size and strength and mike vicks athletic ability...the closest i can think of would probaly be jamarcus russell

Either FA or Draft. Maybe a trade. ****, Quinn Gray is in that frame, but he doesn't have to be a mixture just one of the above.

Legion (2/16/2008)
I'm not going to sit and drop names or anything, nor am I going to say what or how but I will give my planner if I were in the mode of this staff.

QB: I'd look for someone who is a straight athlete. What I mean is, Vick and Brady Quinn are athletes in a similar mode when you look at a natural standpoint. Quinn is a monster who can shrug off tackles/sacks and Vick is like catching a wet pig. Now that I've given you the idea. I'd find a guy in FA, the Draft, or trade that can handle himself and can make athletic plays on his own whether by scrambling or buying time in the pocket. A laser arm would be nice, but I'd prefer a mind like a computer.

RB: We have a burner and a TB/FB hybrid. Now we need a workhorse with some serious legs. Fast doesn't matter and neither does size, but I'd like the prototype version of a RB who can get 3-4 yds on every carry. He doesn't have to get 100ypg, but to gain 60-75yds on 20 carries and with a little steam behind him can soften a defense for our speedback to make the KO punch. With our bulldozer type FB, this can soften a DL pretty well and open the game up for some great plays.

TE: With A-Crump gone...we can now focus on runblocking and short yardage receptions. We have someone who may be in the wrong position who may be worthy of this role and may earn his dollars, if not we have a 2nd year man who has proven to be able to do the job if he isn't cut.

OL: Beef it up man! Find guys like Blalock who bench 225lbs for 40reps and have some size and go from there. You want runblockers not passblockers because you want a power running game. If the power running game is working then so will the pass blocking.

WR: Two more cuts please. One is old and the other is hurt. You have two young receivers in the same mold and one guy who can stand another year. If not, there are some guys with no-name tags and size who can play "big-man" slot which is a lot like TE and if taught well can be vital in crack-backs and block-downs in a power scheme.

DE: Since we may be going big here there is a DT who is good as a back-up LE to rotate with our 2nd year man and another back-up who can be cut. Somewhere in the mid-rounds you find a guy to back-up our right end or get a guy in FA who may have gone down in stock. One guy was cut by the Raiders after dropping from the 1st to 2nd to 3rd last year and he'd work well as a back-up. That will depend on the DT's though. DT's sometimes make all of the difference.

DT: PURGE!!! One guy should be a back-up LE, one should be a career back-up and one guy who is placed as a starter should be a roving back-up. Do away with the UT allocation altogether and get bulldozing monsters. They don't have to be HUGE, just mean as ****. Soldiers of the Apocalypse types who take no fodder from no one. If this happens watch our RE go to the Pro-Bowl, his back-up get good number (4-6 sacks) our second guy do better (6-7 sacks) and his back-up do well too. Also watch out LB corps monster up.

LB: Don't re-sign one guy, cut another guy, and hook another guy up thats on the team right now. We have a middle LB already. If you've already done the work to the DL then he may actually look like a certain Raven. On the other side keep our 2nd year man who can play middle as well as weakside, but as a back-up. Its time to man up at this position and get someone who can help the DE's. Turn this position into a monster position and to tell the truth, you're good.

CB: One guy doesn't make the secondary. The one that we have, you keep though. No one like throwing his way. This is why you keep the four guys at their current position. No change.

Safety: Don't re-sign one guy, cut the older one and rebuild! We have a 3rd year man who can play both positions and a 2nd year 6'3" guy who can back-up both. There are guys in the FA, draft(mid-round), or with a good trade who can really make a huge difference at the SS position.

KS: You want accuracy, not necessarily power.

Punter: Power and not necessarily accuaracy

PR/PR: Lets not get a repeat of last year. I don't like our speed back doing this job, it makes me nervous and the receiver who does this job is an idiot. Hey, here's an idea...give a DB a chance...anyone who isn't a starter or huge playmaker. I fear for guys that can make a difference at another position returning kicks.

Thats all...thoughts?

Love your thinking on tha QB situation. BRADY QUINN ALLLLLL THA WAY!!!!

Legion (2/16/2008)
no response

Good post. May be the longest post I've ever seen from you! :P

I'm not going to act like I know who you're talking about here, bcuz they're not all obvious to me. Couple of things, though.

Glad to see you agree w/Morten staying on the team. ;) oh, and koenen as far as I'm concerned.

Joe Horn - did I read correctly somewhere that cutting him would not help our cap situation in the least? That's my only issue w/that one. And who are you talking about converting to a TE? Don't say if you don't wanna, but I'm just curious.

Totally agree w/the RB need. And though I've got Choice in my sig, it's mostly as a thought to replace Dunn should they cut him. Not sure he's the best answer for what you're talking about here as he's kinda small.

CB, agree too. Long as THAT guy in my sig stays healthy, just watch him continue to imporove. Bank that. Maybe draft some help in the lower rounds?

PR - yes, we need some help, but I haven't been watching this need enough to know who to recommend. Totally agree I'd rather not see a repeat of last year. Our ST needs work in getting down the field and technique etc... though.

falconfootball (2/16/2008)
Legion (2/16/2008)
no response

Good post. May be the longest post I've ever seen from you! :P

I'm not going to act like I know who you're talking about here, bcuz they're not all obvious to me. Couple of things, though.

Glad to see you agree w/Morten staying on the team. ;) oh, and koenen as far as I'm concerned.

Joe Horn - did I read correctly somewhere that cutting him would not help our cap situation in the least? That's my only issue w/that one. And who are you talking about converting to a TE? Don't say if you don't wanna, but I'm just curious.

Totally agree w/the RB need. And though I've got Choice in my sig, it's mostly as a thought to replace Dunn should they cut him. Not sure he's the best answer for what you're talking about here as he's kinda small.

CB, agree too. Long as THAT guy in my sig stays healthy, just watch him continue to imporove. Bank that. Maybe draft some help in the lower rounds?

PR - yes, we need some help, but I haven't been watching this need enough to know who to recommend. Totally agree I'd rather not see a repeat of last year. Our ST needs work in getting down the field and technique etc... though.

There is a question of youth in my opinion. Rebuilding starts with youth. Not really just cap room. There is also a question of a guy on our team who may not be in a good position as a pro. This would be a guy with TE size and WR experience. Sometimes it takes going back to basics with a guy to get him back on track.

A few good points in there, I agree with the wide-receiver position (I think... It's hard to tell when you don't mention names.) I disagree about the DT spot, you do not purge our DT's, Trey Lewis is going to be very good, Babs is solid as well. Bring back Grady and draft a DT in the first 2 rounds. As far as a QB, yeah it would be great to have Michael Vick's physical abilities and Peyton Manning's smarts .... I don't know a quarterback that fits the bill, it's not Brady Quinn.

You also said we don't need pass blockers, we need run blockers. ...been there, done that. Didn't work out to well in passing situations. How about players that are solid at both, spectacular at neither? That would work for me.

Dem Birds Can Fly (2/17/2008)
A few good points in there, I agree with the wide-receiver position (I think... It's hard to tell when you don't mention names.) I disagree about the DT spot, you do not purge our DT's, Trey Lewis is going to be very good, Babs is solid as well. Bring back Grady and draft a DT in the first 2 rounds. As far as a QB, yeah it would be great to have Michael Vick's physical abilities and Peyton Manning's smarts .... I don't know a quarterback that fits the bill, it's not Brady Quinn.

You also said we don't need pass blockers, we need run blockers. ...been there, done that. Didn't work out to well in passing situations. How about players that are solid at both, spectacular at neither? That would work for me.

On DT, the two guys who were mentioned should not be purged. I had other ideas for them. What I meant at QB is get an athlete with a brain. If he has a great powerful arm and smarts...good and if he's quick and can read a "D"...good, if he can take a licking and just gets cockier...good. When you have runblockers who block in a power run scheme, then you run most of the time and that means less pressure on the QB and wearing out DL's. When this happens there is less pressure on the QB and he has more time which equals to good P-Blocking.

We should sign a free agent KR/PR - hopefully one that doesn't get drafted. Two on my mind are: Brian Witherspoon and Jayson Foster.

For RB, we should draft Matt Forte or Tashard Choice in the 2nd/3rd. Both are north and south backs that like to play physical. They should be able to get consistent 3-4 yards a carry.

Flacco is sort of mobile - but I don't know. He played against smaller D2 defenders that can't tackle as well.

DT: we should take a risk with Jason Shirley at 7th round or definitely if he doesn't get drafted. He's probably the best DT/NT that won't get drafted. He has off-the field problems, which is bad - that's why he shouldn't be drafted. But he's a 5th round talent that isn't going to be drafted. 6'5 338 - and he runs under a 5 forty. Give him the 1 strike and your out spiel to make sure he doesn't get in trouble.

We need to also draft either Frank Okam or Red Bryant. In order for big DTs to work, they need to be rotated (like the Eagles DT). We should also take a look at Shaun Rogers if he gets released. Give him a break here and there and rotate him, and he should be fresh every down. Also, give him an incentive laden contract.

More DTs we should look at that is projected to be drafted 7th/undrafted are:

Nate Robinson 6'4 320

Chris Norwell 6'6 305

Carlos Feliciano 6'5 312

Ropati Pitoitua 6'8 292

*note: if you got the size, you'll be a force if you don't get pushed back and tie your gaps. these guys should be paid minimum, 1 year, no bonus contracts if they make the team. purpose of these guys is to keep our starters fresh

However, rebuilding takes a couple of years - so keep an eye on

Fili Moala and Demonte Bolden for DT