Regarding the Crumpler cut. Remember how unpopular the move was by the Patriots a few years back when they cut Milloy.

southga08

Everybody dogged them for cutting Milloy. Milloy said he didn't understand it. Milloy was signed by Buffalo (in division team; aka Panthers rumor) and Buffalo beat New England in the first game. The Patriots wound up winning the Super Bowl that year. Crumpler will be receiving a top 5 tight end's salary over the course of the next three years. Yes we lost about $1 million against the cap this year by cutting him, but we will gain 4 million a year in 2009 and 2010 by cutting him. They must feel that they can get close to the same production with Milner, Blakely, or somebody from free agency or the draft for a lot less money. Crumpler's numbers were good because he was Vick's security blanket. He was the only decent reciever we had. Now with Robinson and White he is the third or fourth option. He actually had more trouble catching the ball last year than anyone else and even if he stays healthy this year there is a good chance that his knees could cause him to miss a lot of time in 2009 and/or 2010. This was as much of an accounting decision as a football decision. I liked Crumpler as a Falcon, but he would have never made all of those pro bowls if we had actually had some good receivers for Vick to throw all of those years. He was a fan favorite and that is why people are emotionally tied to him. TD and Coach Smith does not have any emotional ties to these players, so they are free to evaulate without subjection. The fact of the matter is he is 31, he has been injured, he did not play that good last year at all compared to what he was getting paid, he is not fast, he is actually probably the slowest tight end out there who makes his money by being a reciever, he is at best an average blocker. I was a big fan of Crumpler's, but the NFL these days is a business. I understand the questions about his trade value, but I am sure the Falcons went down that alley. IMO, this is the reason Dunn was not cut; because they he must have garnered some interest from somebody. Also IMO Forney will be released, but first the Falcons will want to make sure they can sign a free agent to take his place first.

cankles (2/15/2008)
when they cut lawyer milloy, they did so knowing they would be able to start Rodney Harrison in his place. do we have an All-Pro TE waiting in the wings to replace Alge?

that'sw what i'm saying.i'm not against upgrading but with no leader at the position a rookie will have it BAD at lease as a falcon for now.they better get it right in f.a.,boy they better get right................

cankles (2/15/2008)
when they cut lawyer milloy, they did so knowing they would be able to start Rodney Harrison in his place. do we have an All-Pro TE waiting in the wings to replace Alge?

True, but they signed Harrison the same offseason that they let Milloy go.

I am just going to have to trust the Falcons that the 5 million or some odd dollars that they are going to save on Crumpler in 2009 and 2010 is going to be better spent elsewhere. The Falcons are not going to win the Super Bowl in 2008, and by the time that they have a good product on the field in 2009 and 2010 the Falcons must feel that they will need that money to be spent on better, younger talent. This talent does not have to be a pro bowl tight end. They may prefer to have an average tight end, and spend the money to get better at another position, whether that is offensive line, wide reciever, linebacker, etc.

From everything I have heard about TD and Coach Smith, they seemed to be very well organized. This tells me that they have a plan and a road map in place. Nothing was done by accident. If they come out and said that they released Crumpler so they could have more money next year so they could sign a pro bowl offensive linemen I don't think anybody would be complaining.

cankles (2/15/2008)

Hey now...Dwayne Blakely...say his name and let it sink in.

Does it feel better now?

No...yeah I didnt think so either...

I dont understand what the fuss is about.The TE position is not like a QB and a rookie can come in to the NFL and compete,not dominate but play at a respectable level with a rookie.This will depend on how smart this player is and what systems they have been in in years past.There is also a crazy thing called Free Agency and I am sure there will be some talent that will pop up in FA.

Just let things play out.Then make a decision and dont go off the depend prior to knowing all the facts.