Horrible!

bigbirdfanDC

The message is loud and clear:

We don't want hard working, pro bowl, veterans who have always produced on this team.

If you lose your quarterback, and you have a few injuries, you're done. Apparently we don't care if you have plenty of football left in you. We really want to suck! Got it?

I'm sorry. I know I am the 5000th person to freak out about this today. I just got home and saw it and I had to come on here and be heard. This stinks, it sucks and I haven't been this mad in awhile.

Coleman? Okay, maybe I can see that. I don't think we are going to find a better replacement, but whatever. Alge? What the ****? This is one of the worst roster moves the Falcons have ever made. I GUARANTEE YOU HE WILL BE MORE PRODUCTIVE THAT ANYTHING WE PUT AT TIGHT END FOR THE NEXT THREE YEARS!

I disagree with virtually everything you put in your post....

You're remembering the Alge Crumpler from 3-5 years ago. He's not that player anymore. His knees are chronically bad, he's been overweight for 2 years now, and he's probably had more drops in the last 2 years then he did in all of his prior years put together.

Alge was a great player for this team, definitely the best tight end this team ever had. He can be proud of the production he had as a Falcon.

Those days are more than likely over.

gritblitzer (2/15/2008)
I disagree with virtually everything you put in your post....

You're remembering the Alge Crumpler from 3-5 years ago. He's not that player anymore. His knees are chronically bad, he's been overweight for 2 years now, and he's probably had more drops in the last 2 years then he did in all of his prior years put together.

Alge was a great player for this team, definitely the best tight end this team ever had. He can be proud of the production he had as a Falcon.

Those days are more than likely over.

more than likely, at least we hope. we hope crump doesn't go straight to carolina and take revenge on us for the next 3-4 years.

Its funny how people ask for big things to happen to this team and than b!tch when we do something big.....

How do we know that the FO doesnt have someone else lined up for the TE pos.? There is a reason for everything....jus because it doesnt make sense to you doesnt mean it doesnt make sense to the FO....They did it for a reason.....just wait for that reason

i loved alge crumpler but he did not play as well last year as he had in the past, and dropped passes he used to make in his sleep in the past. the fact of the matter is he had a 4.7 million dollar cap charge, his play dropped off a bit last year, he is getting a bit older, he was not happy with petrino at all, he missed vick and he deserved a chance to play for a winner and not suffer through another rebuilding process. alge deserves this opportunity to sign with a team that can win a championship and i hope that motivated his release more than his playing ability or his cap charge, but those certainly had to come into play. not only that, but he has had some injuries recently in his career.

you act like this is some kind of outrage, but honestly im sure alge appreciates it. mike vick was his guy and hes gone, so what was keeping him here? all the wins? the great qb play? all the attention he was getting from the qb and the touches he was getting consistently every game?

the fact is, as hard as this is to say, maybe alge wasnt as hard working as you thought he was. i love the guy, but with that high of a salary, that high of expectations and the offense needing a lift, he could have been more productive and the injuries didnt help, along with the supremely erratic qb play. let him go play somewhere else where he can be a big lift to an offense needing a tight end like seattle, and he can make a big impact that he wouldnt have made here. he just wasnt as involved last year and why spend 5 million on a guy that wouldnt help you enough to warrant that salary?

and im sure you are right. i still consider alge one of the best TE's in the nfl. but this move is a rebuilding move and it is a cleaning house move. we dont need expensive guys like him right now, we need young guys we can develop as we start to build the foundation for a new team. this is the same reason i dont want to go out and sign expensive free agents in the offseason. it just wont do us enough good! lets get some breathing room under the cap and not spend it all in one offseason like mckay always did. lets build through the draft with a few free agent signings to help shore up a couple need areas, perhaps saftey since that is weak in the draft and we need upgrades their for the cover-2. other than that though, we need to clean out the clutter (and today was a big step, gandy and coleman needed to go, along with leftwich) and i dont think we are done yet. brooking, milloy (which im torn on both of them, but if we cut brooking then i hope that we keep dmo, he fits much better in the cover 2 than brooking at wlb) weiner, forney, harrington, dunn, horn, finneran even mcclure could have a case made for their release. if we can cut alge we can and probably should cut brooking and milloy, and i wouldnt think twice about either cutting or significantly adjusting the contracts of any of the other guys i mentioned.

we are doing the right thing, and having tons of cap space and not spending it all sounds like a good plan of action to me. unless we are getting a younger guy that will be with us for a while, lets not spend a lot this offseason.

but as far as "what the ****? what are we doing?" i totally disagree with you. i was shocked to see alge gone too, but instead of freaking out about it because he is one of my 2 favorite players along with dhall on this team, i thought about it and to be honest it makes sense from a business and rebuilding standpoint, and it gives alge a chance to win which helped make me feel better.