The Reason Crump got cut

irish_falcon

Its actually just started to make sense. he has 3 years left on the contract with salaries of 3.4, 3.8 and 4.3 million.

He 's also got a 1.3 million of signing bonus to count against the cap in each of those years.

If we traded him we would have only got a second day draft pick, but in the 08 cap we would have to pay 3.9 million of cap penalties due to the prorated signing bonuses, which combined with the 3.4 we'd save by not paying his salary would leave us with a net loss.

By cutting him we can make him a june 1st cut which means we take his first 1.3 mil cap hit this year, and take the other two next year. which means we'll have 2.1 million extra cap room this year.

I still would have preffered to keep the guy, but this was a business decision.

vagus_x (2/15/2008)
in football you spend top money to bring top players , Crumpler Is on of the best TEs in the league , he worth every dollar .....
Just not in our system our OC requires more of a run blocking TE first and a pass catching TE second whick in not Alge. It was a sytem move as much as anything else he did not fit so we might as well spend his money elsewhere

ugadawg (2/16/2008)
vagus_x (2/15/2008)
in football you spend top money to bring top players , Crumpler Is on of the best TEs in the league , he worth every dollar .....
Just not in our system our OC requires more of a run blocking TE first and a pass catching TE second whick in not Alge. It was a sytem move as much as anything else he did not fit so we might as well spend his money elsewhere

I agree. Defenses have caught up a little in the last couple of seasons with "the pass catching TE" and offenses are getting more creative with the 3rd and 4th WR's. Crump has become a museum piece

irish_falcon (2/15/2008)
Its actually just started to make sense. he has 3 years left on the contract with salaries of 3.4, 3.8 and 4.3 million.

He 's also got a 1.3 million of signing bonus to count against the cap in each of those years.

If we traded him we would have only got a second day draft pick, but in the 08 cap we would have to pay 3.9 million of cap penalties due to the prorated signing bonuses, which combined with the 3.4 we'd save by not paying his salary would leave us with a net loss.

By cutting him we can make him a june 1st cut which means we take his first 1.3 mil cap hit this year, and take the other two next year. which means we'll have 2.1 million extra cap room this year.

I still would have preffered to keep the guy, but this was a business decision.

This is the most reasonable explanation I've heard thus far. Perhaps it also has something to do with the new offensive scheme.

Nevertheless, I will miss him. The fallout from last year's offseason continues.