Falcons release 10-year vet Coleman

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/15/08

Rod Coleman was released by the Atlanta Falcons on Friday, according to a person familiar with the situation.

It's the first of what is expected to be many cuts made by general manager Thomas Dimitroff as the team begins to reshape after last year's disastrous season.

Coleman, a 10-year veteran on the defensive line, started five games last season before missing the final six games because of injuries.

>Not a really big suprise, when you think of all his injuries, But I wonder how many more will get there walking papers today? Should be interesting.

falcons4life (2/15/2008)
Kind of saw this one coming. It has begun folks. Get ready for madness.

Technically, last season was the season of madness.:w00t:

This is the start of a return to sanity for the Falcons.

Let's hope that the purge happens quickly and decisively so that the players don't die the 'death of 1000 paper cuts'.

origin8502 (2/15/2008)
Yeah but I can think of 4 - 5 other players who shouldve been cut before Coleman....I do not agree with this move.

He may very well not have been the first cut. He was just the first that got leaked to the media before the official release comes from the Falcons organization.

Why would they cheer? They were 1 - 0 with Coleman.....

I could certainly see us trying to score Alan Faneca and Flozzell Adams now in FA. If that ruleing gets reversed, I think we could afford them. If that were the case, Dorsey or Ellis in the 1st would be fine with me... that way we could draft Chris Williams or Gosder Cherilus with 2a and Chad Henne, Joe Flacco, or Andre' Woodson with 2b

much needed cut. I hate to say it but I think we will see at least 1 huge suprise today. and it is good to be back on the boards been to busy to do it the past year and even forgot my old email addressand my password I registered with so many years ago and therefore couldnt figure it out. But I guess its a new account for me and a rebirth for our team. sometimes you just have to start from scratch

falcons4life (2/15/2008)
One cut and all the draft speculators come out of the woodwork.

Is everyone forgetting free agency?

You cant project anything about the draft until we finish up the inital free agency wave.

No, but I really don't see the Falcons breaking the bank hiring a FA DT

I can see, however, the common sense in drafting another DT, especially when there are two talents in this year's draft with Ellis and Dorsey.

that's true, but free agency doesn't seem to be what it used to. players get paid so much now. I'm not sure it's worth paying a guy like Faneca for instance out the yin yang when we can get someone almost as good as him who will become better than him in the draft. I just think you should try to build through draft. besides, some of our free agent pick ups haven't worked out so great in recent years.