is the defense really that far off??

looking at the stats from last year:

passing yards 228.4 - 26th tennessee 199.2 - 10th

rushing yards 127.1 - 26th new england 98.2 - 10th

total yards 355.5 - 29th philly 311.4 - 10th

points 25.9 - 29th jacksonville 19.0 - 10th

if we bolster the defense enough to shave 30 yards rushing per game, 30 yards from the passing game, 60 yards total per game and 7 points per game... our stats would make us a top 10 defense....top 10!!!!

its not unthinkable to be able to do this.

I don't really think we are at the point where we blow up the whole team.

we do need to get stronger up the middle...DT,MLB, and free safety.

I think that if we can get linebackers to make tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage instead of 5-7 yards down the field, we can get close to those numbers. Of coarse you have to have DTs to allow the LBs to roam and make those hits, but they have to have the speed to get there and when they do get there they have to bring the wood.

the DTs also would push the pocket backwards so that the QBs couldn't step up and throw perfect passes all over the field. Our DEs would be able to get there and make sacks because the Qb would be deeper in the pocket.

DTs will make a huge impact.

I agree that the offense was pretty bad...but there was some life shown from roddy white and L.robinson. a pleasent surprise. I think we get a RB and some Oline help this year and in a major way. I just don't know how deep we go in gutting the QB position this year...

kind of a crazy situation...do you keep guys who failed last year or do you go completely young and inexperienced and you really don't know what you have.

free agents are slim pickins this year.

although on the defense we were ranked pretty low in every category even worse that the offense.

If we drafted Dorsey he would open up the game for Abraham and Anderson who could pressure the QB more and reduce his pocket time opening the game up for the rest of the defense.

We do have a pretty good defense, one great cornerback, one pretty good cornerback, a solid linebacking corps, a great DE, one that might blossum, and a good DT in Lewis.

yeah I think we have the makings of a top 10 defense...we just need, like you said Dorsey or Ellis and I think we still need to bring back grady jackson. That way we can get the rookie some rest on the long season plus it never hurts to have a rotation where guys can get some rest.

On the linebackers we are going to need a head bussa up the middle. after that we can draft and pick up bargain free agents to fill the roster and provide depth.

I agree with the rest of you in general regarding our defense. At times it looked really sound; however, I do have some concerns that I hope to be addressed with the draft, some coaching/player maturity and free agency.

I think our D looks pretty good on 1st and 2nd down, but it looks medicore when it's 3rd down. We seem to allow our opponents to move the chains on 3rd down with regularity: we don't get any consistency in stopping them. As good as he is at stopping most big completions, even DHall seems to play off of his receiver a bit too much on 3rd and short situations, allowing the completion and chains to be moved. Of course, our other CB didn't exactly stop many 3rd down completions either, plus they allowed far more big plays.

We also need to get more pressure on the QB, which I hope will come from Anderson this season (can't expect Abe to do it all alone!) and I agree if we were to add a stud like Dorsey it would be a huge improvement to our ability to attack both the QB and clog up the middle and stop the RB's from punching through for large chunks of yardage.

NewFalcon (2/15/2008)
I agree with the rest of you in general regarding our defense. At times it looked really sound; however, I do have some concerns that I hope to be addressed with the draft, some coaching/player maturity and free agency.

I think our D looks pretty good on 1st and 2nd down, but it looks medicore when it's 3rd down. We seem to allow our opponents to move the chains on 3rd down with regularity: we don't get any consistency in stopping them. As good as he is at stopping most big completions, even DHall seems to play off of his receiver a bit too much on 3rd and short situations, allowing the completion and chains to be moved. Of course, our other CB didn't exactly stop many 3rd down completions either, plus they allowed far more big plays.

We also need to get more pressure on the QB, which I hope will come from Anderson this season (can't expect Abe to do it all alone!) and I agree if we were to add a stud like Dorsey it would be a huge improvement to our ability to attack both the QB and clog up the middle and stop the RB's from punching through for large chunks of yardage.

You need to rethink that again, they mentioned several times on TV that the Falcons were best in the league on getting off the field and stopping people on 3rd downs that was the one bright spot.

If the offense could have sustained some drives the Defense would have been rated much better.

NewFalcon (2/15/2008)
I think our D looks pretty good on 1st and 2nd down, but it looks medicore when it's 3rd down. We seem to allow our opponents to move the chains on 3rd down with regularity: we don't get any consistency in stopping them.

I agree but I've been blaming it on poor play calling by the DC seems that the D attacked on 1st and 2nd but set back waiting on 3rd. I thought that was due to the play called by the DC. Don't know but if this is true and the new DC chanes that then this D may be better than we think. If it's the players waiting on someone else to make the play then there are big prolems.

trubirdfan4life (2/15/2008)
looking at the stats from last year:

passing yards 228.4 - 26th tennessee 199.2 - 10th

rushing yards 127.1 - 26th new england 98.2 - 10th

total yards 355.5 - 29th philly 311.4 - 10th

points 25.9 - 29th jacksonville 19.0 - 10th

if we bolster the defense enough to shave 30 yards rushing per game, 30 yards from the passing game, 60 yards total per game and 7 points per game... our stats would make us a top 10 defense....top 10!!!!

its not unthinkable to be able to do this.

I don't really think we are at the point where we blow up the whole team.

we do need to get stronger up the middle...DT,MLB, and free safety.

I think that if we can get linebackers to make tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage instead of 5-7 yards down the field, we can get close to those numbers. Of coarse you have to have DTs to allow the LBs to roam and make those hits, but they have to have the speed to get there and when they do get there they have to bring the wood.

the DTs also would push the pocket backwards so that the QBs couldn't step up and throw perfect passes all over the field. Our DEs would be able to get there and make sacks because the Qb would be deeper in the pocket.

DTs will make a huge impact.

Cutting Rod Coleman sure does not help.