seems that crocker and milloy is out

cshot4

Falcons: Crocker won't be re-signed Thursday 2/14, 5:37 PM CT

Chris Crocker's contract is about to expire, according to AJC.com, and the Falcons don't plan to re-sign the veteran safety. The Falcons are in rebuilding mode and keeping high-priced safeties is not a formula for success in this league.

Our View: The safety position has its playmakers, but it's also the one NFL position that can be filled with aging corners and undersized linebackers. The Falcons, contrary to the Atlanta Constitution Journal's report that the team is releasing leadership (Lawyer Milloy and Crocker), have far more pressing priorities than defensive safety

Kenny Phillips S 6 2 210 Miami Jr.

By: Robert Davis

Kenny Phillips came to Miami with the expectations of being the next study safety from the U. Early on he showed that those lofty expectations were valid. He was on everyone s Freshman All American lists after finishing the year with 88 tackles, three for loss and an interception. As a sophomore, he stepped his game up even more, finishing with 71 tackles, six for loss, and four interceptions despite missing the final three games with a broken thumb. Phillips ended his Hurricane career after three seasons, and went out with 82 tackles, six for loss, and two interceptions.

Phillips has it all. From a physical standpoint, he has everything you want. He has excellent size and can match up with just about anyone in coverage. He also possesses the athleticism, quickness, and speed to fly around the field making plays. He is aggressive, active, and willing to do whatever it takes to get to the football. Phillips is a complete safety as he can attack the line of scrimmage in run support and make plays on the football in coverage. He has also earned All ACC honors for his success in the classroom, so he is getting it done off the field as well.

There is not much to dislike about Phillips game. He is a rare safety that can do it all and is a legit Top 10 pick. If you want to pick things apart, he can go for the big hit a little too often instead of making the safe play.

Phillips was one of the first players to declare for the draft, and he is an almost certain selection in the top half of the first round. He is a playmaker in the secondary, and has all the skills to develop into a perennial pro bowler

cshot4 (2/14/2008)
Falcons: Crocker won't be re-signed Thursday 2/14, 5:37 PM CT

Chris Crocker's contract is about to expire, according to AJC.com, and the Falcons don't plan to re-sign the veteran safety. The Falcons are in rebuilding mode and keeping high-priced safeties is not a formula for success in this league.

Our View: The safety position has its playmakers, but it's also the one NFL position that can be filled with aging corners and undersized linebackers. The Falcons, contrary to the Atlanta Constitution Journal's report that the team is releasing leadership (Lawyer Milloy and Crocker), have far more pressing priorities than defensive safety

Kenny Phillips S 6 2 210 Miami Jr.

By: Robert Davis

Kenny Phillips came to Miami with the expectations of being the next study safety from the U. Early on he showed that those lofty expectations were valid. He was on everyone s Freshman All American lists after finishing the year with 88 tackles, three for loss and an interception. As a sophomore, he stepped his game up even more, finishing with 71 tackles, six for loss, and four interceptions despite missing the final three games with a broken thumb. Phillips ended his Hurricane career after three seasons, and went out with 82 tackles, six for loss, and two interceptions.

Phillips has it all. From a physical standpoint, he has everything you want. He has excellent size and can match up with just about anyone in coverage. He also possesses the athleticism, quickness, and speed to fly around the field making plays. He is aggressive, active, and willing to do whatever it takes to get to the football. Phillips is a complete safety as he can attack the line of scrimmage in run support and make plays on the football in coverage. He has also earned All ACC honors for his success in the classroom, so he is getting it done off the field as well.

There is not much to dislike about Phillips game. He is a rare safety that can do it all and is a legit Top 10 pick. If you want to pick things apart, he can go for the big hit a little too often instead of making the safe play.

Phillips was one of the first players to declare for the draft, and he is an almost certain selection in the top half of the first round. He is a playmaker in the secondary, and has all the skills to develop into a perennial pro bowler

I'd consider him with one of our 2nd round picks, and ONLY if DaJuan Morgan is off the board.

I doubt that Milloy is...OUT. He is still pretty good plus he's one of THE FEW players who stood up as a LEADER. Until someone else does that..we need him in that role at least. Now, JOE HORN is another matter...he may have helped Roddy develop...keep him for WR development but his WR days are just about behind him.

Releasing both Crocker and Milloy would be a shock to me. I can see letting Crocker go, even though he has improved... but Milloy? Cutting him does nothing for us and it's an uncertainty if anyone we have can step into the SS role. We already have an issue at FS... why make a gaping hole in center field by releasing the two guys who have been able to start there?

I love Kenny Phillips, but I seriously seriously doubt he is even an option for us if we trade down. There are a few good options between the 2nd and 4th, based on where these guys will fall in relation to everyone else.

If we need a new FS... I say Quintin Demps or DaJuan Morgan.

If we need a new SS... I say Craig Steltz, Josh Barrett, or Jamar Adams.

Robb4242 (2/15/2008)

I'd consider him with one of our 2nd round picks, and ONLY if DaJuan Morgan is off the board.

the only way kenny phillips could slip to the second round is if he runs a 4.5 40 and i do not see that happening...he will go in the late teens to early 20's......but we will see