Listen to what Mcfadden said

atljbo

Top draft prospects McFadden, Jones are Cowboys fans

By CLARENCE E. HILL, JR.

chill@star-telegram.com

NFL draft prospects including Darren McFadden, left, and Nate Jones work out at the Michael Johnson Performance Center in McKinney.

STAR-TELEGRAM/RON T. ENNIS/RON T. ENNIS

NFL draft prospects including Darren McFadden, left, and Nate Jones work out at the Michael Johnson Performance Center in McKinney.

MCKINNEY -- Arkansas running back Darren McFadden has heard the rumors of the Cowboys possibly trying to make a trade with Miami for the top pick in April s NFL draft to select him.

He s obviously flattered and wouldn t be opposed to it considering he grew up a Cowboys fan.

"I loved to watch Emmitt Smith run the ball," he said, "I was a big Cowboys fan."

But McFadden, who is training for the draft and next week s NFL combine at the Michael Johnson Performance Center in McKinney, said he can only worry about what he can control.

"I ve heard so many rumors about what s going on with the draft, I just try not to pay attention to any of it anymore," McFadden said. "You have to block it out, because if you don t, it ll take control of you, getting caught up in where you want to go and where you think you should go. You try to block it out and focus on getting better out here."

McFadden knows the rumors won t go away mainly because of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones connection to Arkansas. McFadden talked to Jones, a Razorback alumnus, at the HomeDepot College Football Awards Show in December in Orlando.

"He s a great guy," McFadden said. "I feel like if he had it his way, he would pick me and have me as a running back for him. But the draft works funny."

No kidding.

Presently, the Cowboys don t have what it takes to trade with Miami to move up to the No. 1 spot. McFadden s agent, Ian Greengross, said based on his knowledge of the draft trade value chart, the Cowboys would have to do more than trade their two No. 1 picks.

Both said McFadden will be happy wherever he goes, but would love to be the No. 1 overall pick.

As rumors have it, if the Cowboys don t get McFadden, they could select his Arkansas teammate Felix Jones, who has first-round talent but is expected to be available when the Cowboys pick at No. 22 or No. 28.

"I grew up watching the Cowboys in Tulsa, Okla. They were the closest team to our state," Jones said. "I grew up a fan and it d be an honor to wear the star on my helmet."

dan minnich (2/14/2008)
i dont see anything wrong with that.

I'll be happy with whoever the Falcons get if the team get's back to winning. That being said though, I must say, I have always felt that if your team makes the playoffs the previous season then there should be restrictions as to how far you can move up to take a player in the draft. That's just the way I feel about it.

freeze1st (2/14/2008)
dan minnich (2/14/2008)
i dont see anything wrong with that.

I'll be happy with whoever the Falcons get if the team get's back to winning. That being said though, I must say, I have always felt that if your team makes the playoffs the previous season then there should be restrictions as to how far you can move up to take a player in the draft. That's just the way I feel about it.

i respect that as an opinion but if you think about it if a team wants to move up that far then they have to give up a lot therefore making it where they have earned that spot just as much as the team they get it from

i understand that it is about a team moving up in front of another team that might want to take the player that team move in and took but one that note any team can move up and take what they want and the lower in the draft you start the cheaper it is for you to move up

i mean saying that is like saying punish those teams for being good when they can not make a team trade their pick but offer them a deal that would fill their holes better then the one pick they give away

I TRY NOT TO SPECULATE WHO WE SHOULD DRAFT, WHERE WE SHOULD DRAFT, HOW MUCH SHOULD WE PAY. I JUST TRY (I said try) TO LET THE DUST SETTLE AND SEE WHO'S MADE THE TEAM ......... AND ROOT LIKE (The Devil's Home) FOR THEM. THIS METHOD SAVES ME A LITTLE FRUSTRATION. McFADDEN'S COMMENTS WERE NORMAL. INTERESTING POST.:)