Coach Rodriguez on recruiting committed players..

SacFalcFan

MORGANTOWN--He never mentioned any names, but West Virginia head coach Rich Rodriguez made it clear on Wednesday that he was not pleased with the recruiting antics of a former WVU assistant coach.

In a thinly veiled diatribe directed at former WVU assistant head coach Rick Trickett, who recently left Morgantown to take the same position at Florida State and seemingly took a few Mountaineer recruits with him, Rodriguez vented about the ethical incongruity of a coach talking a player out of a commitment at one school to join him at his newest place of employment.

"Every coach has his own philosophies. I'm going to tell you what my philosophy is," Rodriguez said. "You always hope that a young man is committed to your school when he says he is committed to your school. When a coach decides to leave, and that player is committed to a school, that coach shouldn't recruit that guy [to another school]. If you're recruiting a guy who is not committed to West Virginia, that player is still out there, and you go ahead and recruit him. Otherwise you don't," Rod said.

"I recently hired Coach (Rod) Smith and Coach (Greg) Fry, but not once did I ask them about any players they were recruiting at South Florida," Rodriguez continued. "Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel like that would be the right thing to do."

"I could go on about it in not so G-rated terms. The hard part about it is when a young man is committed to you and you're committed to him, that's a spot on the roster that's taken. So maybe there are some guys who are out there that you quit recruiting because you're locked into him. Then three or four days before signing day, he switches on you, and you're like, 'Golly, I wish I would have known that three or four months ago so I could have signed someone else," said the WVU head coach.

"That's the type of behavior that creates bad feelings in our profession."

Demetrius Dew (2/14/2008)
Although I am a Rich Rod fan know that he is at UM, I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Because he or other UM coaches went after players already committed on Signing Day.

know this is an older interview but I guess he must have changed his views since than.:ermm::ermm:

This was an older interview and it was posted by a michigan fan and they were wondering as well what rich's opinion is now. He was asked to comment on this since he made such a big deal of trickett and what he did on his way down to fsu and Rich stumbled around it. I think any player is open game because that's just what is going on with recruiting now. All teams have gotten a player committed elsewhere and most if not all have lost a player. I think his biggest issue was trickett taking guys who he recruiting to wvu and then taking them with him to fsu. I don't know about that myself, but if it works for your team you love it, but if it works against you then you hate it.

This was an older interview and it was posted by a michigan fan and they were wondering as well what rich's opinion is now. He was asked to comment on this since he made such a big deal of trickett and what he did on his way down to fsu and Rich stumbled around it. I think any player is open game because that's just what is going on with recruiting now. All teams have gotten a player committed elsewhere and most if not all have lost a player. I think his biggest issue was trickett taking guys who he recruiting to wvu and then taking them with him to fsu. I don't know about that myself, but if it works for your team you love it, but if it works against you then you hate it.

Do you think stuff like this will prompt the NCAA to make an early signing day, like in December?

Demetrius Dew (2/14/2008)

Do you think stuff like this will prompt the NCAA to make an early signing day, like in December?

No I don't think the ncaa does that. Primarily because most coaches are against it. The Presidents/ADs don't see a big reason to do it and you don't want to tick off your coaches and i haven't heard one coach in favor of it. I do see something happening in the next 5 years and that's a 5th year of elgibility..