who would u rather have the falcons pick?

I've been a D-Mac fan for a long time, and I'm still hurting at our missing out on AP in last year's draft. Having said that, if I'm put on the line here, I have to agree with Sean Salisbury that QB is the most important position in sports, and if you don't have one, then you aren't going anywhere. That's why I'd suck it up, and (ugh!) let McFadden go and draft Matt Ryan. He actually reminds me alot of Favre the way he gunslings on the field, and I like that mentality in a QB.

It actually makes my stomach clinch thinking about this topic, because I know D-Mac is going to produce from day one, but RBs are sooo much easier to find than a top QB. Play it safe or go for it? I've always been one to roll the dice...

1989fan (2/15/2008)
both players carried their teams on their backs. both players have their share of bust potential. I would take Ryan because a QB is a harder position to fill, and one we have a bigger void at.

But Matt Ryan is LESS LIKELY to fill a void because he has bust written all over him with his average physical skills and decision making skills.

But at this point, the biggest void we need to fill is in the trenches. QB and RB are sexy picks, but we need either the guy in your avatar or Sedrick Ellis.

busboyisback (2/15/2008)

But at this point, the biggest void we need to fill is in the trenches. QB and RB are sexy picks, but we need either the guy in your avatar or Sedrick Ellis.

that we agree on 100%

I am hoping for Dorsey (DT), Henne(QB) and Collins (OT) as our top 3 picks.

1989fan (2/15/2008)

I dont know why people cant read the thread....he didnt say what player do you want....he said would you prefer Ryan OR McFadden....period. :doze:

Actually He said "If both Ryan and McFadden are still...."

And I will agree with most other posters.... He forgot the option of "None of the Above"

id probably take ryan and just hope he turned into something. mcfadden is just a replication of norwood that costs more money and has higher expectations as a result of it. so if we already have a lower-cost version of norwood on the roster, why wouldnt we take a shot in the dark to see if we can get a good qb. i dont think it would work out well at all considering matt ryan is extremely turnover prone when he throws the ball deep (over 10 of his 19 ints came throwing deep passes) and our offense is by name a "vertical passing offense". but id still go for him over mcfadden just because im tired of people saying mcfadden is a sure thing and that he would be a power back for us, because he would not be. he would be a souped-up norwood.

busboyisback (2/15/2008)
If we took Matt Ryan over Darren McFadden that would be the biggest debacle I've ever seen.

Passing on a potential All-Pro RB for a QB with the biggest bust tag I've ever seen

Amen. I thought it was a trick question at first. D-MAC of course! Ryan is about the most over rated prospect in this draft. Plus, he doesn't have the arm strength to run Mularky's vertical passing game.

Sting129 (2/15/2008)
I cannot fathom why some posters would rather draft Ryan than McFadden. If you like Ryan that's fine, but he is not worthy of a top-5 pick. If we're gonna draft him we better trade down, or just take McFadden and be set at RB for the longterm.

Like the Saints are set @ RB long term after taking Bush #2? That is about the best recent comparison I can find for him, but Bush is an amazing reciever as well.

DMC is no Peterson, and I dont know why people dont get that..... I wanted Peterson over every player but Joe Thomas last year. So its not that I am against the right RB early, but DMC is not AP.

1989fan (2/15/2008)
Sting129 (2/15/2008)
I cannot fathom why some posters would rather draft Ryan than McFadden. If you like Ryan that's fine, but he is not worthy of a top-5 pick. If we're gonna draft him we better trade down, or just take McFadden and be set at RB for the longterm.

Like the Saints are set @ RB long term after taking Bush #2? That is about the best recent comparison I can find for him, but Bush is an amazing reciever as well.

DMC is no Peterson, and I dont know why people dont get that..... I wanted Peterson over every player but Joe Thomas last year. So its not that I am against the right RB early, but DMC is not AP.

That's a horrible comparison, because Bush and McFadden are in no ways similar except speed. Bush isn't even the same type of running back that Darren is.

1989fan (2/15/2008)

Had DMC come out last year, he would have had a higher grade than Peterson. So, personnel folks think he is that type of player. He's got the power, the between-the-tackles toughness, and speed to burn. Plus, he doesn't have Peterson's injury history. I do not expect him to have the rookie season that Peterson did, but as I said the entire time we discussed AP last year, DMC is a slightly better prospect. What he's done with Casey **** as his QB and SEC defenses knowing he was the key has been mythic.

jidady (2/16/2008)
1989fan (2/15/2008)

Had DMC come out last year, he would have had a higher grade than Peterson. So, personnel folks think he is that type of player. He's got the power, the between-the-tackles toughness, and speed to burn. Plus, he doesn't have Peterson's injury history. I do not expect him to have the rookie season that Peterson did, but as I said the entire time we discussed AP last year, DMC is a slightly better prospect. What he's done with Casey **** as his QB and SEC defenses knowing he was the key has been mythic.

That's exactly right. AP's terrific rookie season was also aided by the fact that he was running behind 3 great offensive linemen. McFadden will be unfairly compared to AP.

I'm going to walk a fine line here and try to be honest that I watched Minnesota play 10 times this year. While I like their offensive line, Peterson made them look better than they were. He's such an explosive back that even the surest tacklers in the NFL struggle matching up with him. Like 89, I was a huge supporter of AP last year (he was either my #2 or #3 player in the draft...can't recall if it was him or Thomas I liked better), but I was surprised by how quickly he not only acclimated to the NFL but dominated. At least three of his biggest runs of the year were all him. A lesser back would have gotten four yards.

The point of contention here is whether McFadden is that kind of back. Since he was a true freshman running over people (he was a power back then...no idea when that reputation changed), I've felt he was. Lately, at least on this board, he's become just another Norwood/Bush speedster. Guys like that shouldn't be drafted so high. So, if that is the perception a person has about McFadden, their reticence to draft him is understandable. I just can't see it. At all. This kid is the apocalypse walking.

jidady (2/16/2008)
I'm going to walk a fine line here and try to be honest that I watched Minnesota play 10 times this year. While I like their offensive line, Peterson made them look better than they were. He's such an explosive back that even the surest tacklers in the NFL struggle matching up with him. Like 89, I was a huge supporter of AP last year (he was either my #2 or #3 player in the draft...can't recall if it was him or Thomas I liked better), but I was surprised by how quickly he not only acclimated to the NFL but dominated. At least three of his biggest runs of the year were all him. A lesser back would have gotten four yards.

The point of contention here is whether McFadden is that kind of back. Since he was a true freshman running over people (he was a power back then...no idea when that reputation changed), I've felt he was. Lately, at least on this board, he's become just another Norwood/Bush speedster. Guys like that shouldn't be drafted so high. So, if that is the perception a person has about McFadden, their reticence to draft him is understandable. I just can't see it. At all. This kid is the apocalypse walking.

LOL. Dude. drop back and punt. The running back "made" one of the 3 best groups of linemen in the NFL look better? Steely Dan had a song for that probably before you were born called Pretzel Logic