Some FA QB's to consider...

thanat0s

The Sirius NFL guys talked pretty glowingly of the potential of Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom they say is on more than one team's radar.

Others I'm interested in are Tim Hasselbeck and Jared Lorenzen. Tim has experience and a good pedigree, and I've always thought J-Load had alot of potential, even if he's humongous, lol.

Outside of giving Shockley a chance, I think I might weep openly if we bring back any of the has-beens and never-was guys we have on the roster now...

thanat0s (2/14/2008)
The Sirius NFL guys talked pretty glowingly of the potential of Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom they say is on more than one team's radar.

Others I'm interested in are Tim Hasselbeck and Jared Lorenzen. Tim has experience and a good pedigree, and I've always thought J-Load had alot of potential, even if he's humongous, lol.

Outside of giving Shockley a chance, I think I might weep openly if we bring back any of the has-beens and never-was guys we have on the roster now...

Yes, lets bring back Shockley who has NEVER taken a snap in the reg. season of a NFL game, and who only start his Sr. year of college, and lets NOT bring back Redman who is the BEST QB on our team, and go with a FA who is NO better.

You're making my point for me. Outside of Hasselbeck, who has a bit of a track record, the people our roster with the exception of Shockley are known quantities. Quantities that don't amount to much. If this team is going to develop itself from the ground up, the best way to do that is by getting someone with potential and developing them from the ground up. Fitzpatrick, Lorenzen and Shockley would all qualify as skilled individuals with an upside that is unknown at this point.

Keeping Redman, or any of the others, imo, might mean a couple more wins, or a few fewer mistakes behind center, but in the end, we'd just be treading water, not building toward anything at the most important position in the NFL...

67camaro (2/14/2008)
thanat0s (2/14/2008)

Yes, lets bring back Shockley who has NEVER taken a snap in the reg. season of a NFL game, and who only start his Sr. year of college, and lets NOT bring back Redman who is the BEST QB on our team, and go with a FA who is NO better.

Shockley is under contract... Redman is not.... Lefty may or may not be depending on the option... and i dont know if harrington has a option on the second year.... i hope he does so he can get cut

thanat0s (2/14/2008)
Quinn Gray is another guy with alot of upside potential. I'll never get my mind around anyone who thinks keeping any of our 07 starting QBs will mean anything to us in the long run...

Who's saying that? A lot of people who support Redman, don't believe he is the long term answer for that position, least I don't. But of the QBs on our roster, he gives us the best chance to win. I look at 08 as a rebuilding year anyway, so I'm not looking for a QB to take us to the playoffs and beyond. It would be nice to have a winning season, but I'm not expecting it. If you were talking about backups from other teams like Sorgi or Rodgers, I'd say you may have a point. I don't know much about Gray, but I'm not too exited about Tim H. or Lorenzo (who's the only one I've had a chance to see play some.)

thanat0s (2/14/2008)
Quinn Gray is another guy with alot of upside potential. I'll never get my mind around anyone who thinks keeping any of our 07 starting QBs will mean anything to us in the long run...

Redman and Harrington are still very young in qb years. They have reached an area where they have a year under their belt with the same receivers. Continuity is key in the passing game. You can't always be changing. Redman and Harrington were studs in college, bot are above avg. IQ and were drafted very high. It is worth giving them another year to see what they can do with better blocking and better coaching.

The only time a proven starting QB is on the open market is when he is coming off an injury. (i.e. Brees). And the fan base would storm Flowery Branch with torches and pitchforks if we signed yet another FA with a history of injuries.

It will take time to rebuild, and no qb will provide the kind of quick fix some fans want. I say stick with Red and Shock. Let Leftfoot and Harrytongue go, and draft for the future.

thanat0s (2/14/2008)

Tim Hasselbeck? Jared Lorenzen? Ryan Fitzpatrick? AND I got yelled at for recommending JP Losman. Geez!

texasbirdfan (2/14/2008)
thanat0s (2/14/2008)

Redman and Harrington are still very young in qb years. They have reached an area where they have a year under their belt with the same receivers. Continuity is key in the passing game. You can't always be changing. Redman and Harrington were studs in college, bot are above avg. IQ and were drafted very high. It is worth giving them another year to see what they can do with better blocking and better coaching.

Your an idiot.....Harrington and potential dont belong in the same sentence...hes had his chance....hes absolutely terrible.....no arm....no awareness....no pocket presence.....no mobility....no accuracy.....the only thing...is he can take a hit...