When do we get our compensation pick?

formul8or

bossFALCON (2/14/2008)
rev_hal (2/14/2008)
Technically, we get it on draft day, like all of the other draft picks.

yea. the pick will come after the 3rd round is over, but before the 4th round starts.

We hope.

Honestly, we're all assuming that we'll get a pick for Kerney, but I'm really wondering about the rules covering opting out. Compensatory picks apply to players whose contracts run out. Kerney's contract technically didn't run out; he opted out of the last year. While it's certainly a very fine distinction, I'm not 100% sure that we'll be getting a pick at all. Can anyone answer that question with some real information? All I've gotten so far when I ask this question is, "Yes, we will" without a shred of information to back up the claim.

If we do, it should be a high one; he was damned near Defensive Player of the Year. And we should find out before too long, though I can't recall when we found out last season.

Direwolf

direwolf (2/14/2008)
bossFALCON (2/14/2008)
rev_hal (2/14/2008)

yea. the pick will come after the 3rd round is over, but before the 4th round starts.

We hope.

Honestly, we're all assuming that we'll get a pick for Kerney, but I'm really wondering about the rules covering opting out. Compensatory picks apply to players whose contracts run out. Kerney's contract technically didn't run out; he opted out of the last year. While it's certainly a very fine distinction, I'm not 100% sure that we'll be getting a pick at all. Can anyone answer that question with some real information? All I've gotten so far when I ask this question is, "Yes, we will" without a shred of information to back up the claim.

If we do, it should be a high one; he was damned near Defensive Player of the Year. And we should find out before too long, though I can't recall when we found out last season.

Direwolf

Well if you are looking at contract law, his contract did have a specific ending at 2 different points and Kerney chose one- so it did run out. He could have extended it to another point.

direwolf (2/14/2008)
bossFALCON (2/14/2008)
rev_hal (2/14/2008)

We hope.

Direwolf

By him opting out of his contract it made him a FA. He was free to sign with anybody he wanted even the Falcons, but he chose not to. So YES, we will get a comp pick for him.

Help me understand. So none of the Mock drafts have taken in account that Comp pick? That pick maybe a 1st day pick also?

What if we packaged that comp pick with our potential #3 pick over all? Say if that trade with Dallas went thru for their 2 1st rd picks and some more of their picks say in 3rd or 4th round? Depends on what that comp pick is worth.

What a package deal that could be!! Dimitroff can find talent later in the draft with more 3rd and 4th picks. This team could actually have a complete face lift.

BayouFalFan (2/14/2008)
Help me understand. So none of the Mock drafts have taken in account that Comp pick? That pick maybe a 1st day pick also?

What if we packaged that comp pick with our potential #3 pick over all? Say if that trade with Dallas went thru for their 2 1st rd picks and some more of their picks say in 3rd or 4th round? Depends on what that comp pick is worth.

What a package deal that could be!! Dimitroff can find talent later in the draft with more 3rd and 4th picks. This team could actually have a complete face lift.

Dallas has a history of trading DOWN. But Jerry Jones has traded up in the same draft before. TD knew before he was hired what our draft prospects were coming up (he also knew we had a terric 2007 draft class)- it helped him say yes.

I understand we had a good draft last year. I think if we take a DT and Trey Lewis on the line we will see J Anderson perform. I believe last year was a bad year for our rookies at any position because of BP calling the shots. L Robinson and Blaalock are solid. I know I will be jumped on the Blaalock comment, but I think we can run behind him this year.

We need as many picks as possible. Dimitroff was a scout all year. He was not a GM last year. I believe we get the biggest opportunity this year since he spent 250+ days scouting.

OL, DL, QB, RB, MLB, SS could possibly addressed this draft. My point was the potential of combining our #3 pick with a comp pick that no one has considered for a bucket load of picks. I personally like the Dallas 2 1st rounders and a bunch more of the later picks.

BayouFalFan (2/14/2008)
I understand we had a good draft last year. I think if we take a DT and Trey Lewis on the line we will see J Anderson perform. I believe last year was a bad year for our rookies at any position because of BP calling the shots. L Robinson and Blaalock are solid. I know I will be jumped on the Blaalock comment, but I think we can run behind him this year.

We need as many picks as possible. Dimitroff was a scout all year. He was not a GM last year. I believe we get the biggest opportunity this year since he spent 250+ days scouting.

OL, DL, QB, RB, MLB, SS could possibly addressed this draft. My point was the potential of combining our #3 pick with a comp pick that no one has considered for a bucket load of picks. I personally like the Dallas 2 1st rounders and a bunch more of the later picks.

Can't trade a comp pick.

The earliest that a comp pick can be granted is at the end of the third round. There are very few 3rd round picks.

I believe that the announcements are made during the Spring meetings which are held right after the combine. I have read someone said that they are announced at the combine.

Comp picks are not really awarded just for individual players. They take into account the free agents that a team has lost and those that a team has signed. If we signed a Kearney like valued player the same year that we lose Kearney, they would cancel out each other. A mysterious formula is applied that takes into account the contracts, playing time/starting, and post season honors to assess the values and thus the pick that are awarded.

Cut or released players do not enter into consideration.

If there are fewer than 32 comp picks awarded, teams are granted extra picks in order of their draft status to bring the total up to 32. These picks are after all other picks at the end of the seventh round.

When will we actually find out what Kerney got us?

Probably before the end of March. Last year it was March 27. The Falcons 2007 announcement of comp picks as follows:

Tuesday - 03/27/07, 06:50AM

Falcons receive two compensatory selections in 2007 NFL Draft

by Chris Pika, AtlantaFalcons.com

The Falcons picked up a pair of compensatory selections in the upcoming NFL Draft as Atlanta was awarded a fourth round choice (#133 overall) and a seventh rounder (#244 overall) by the NFL Management Council.

The picks were awarded under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, in which a team which loses more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks. Since the system was instituted in 1994, the Falcons have a total of seven compensatory selections in the NFL Draft, which include the two awarded this year. Dallas has the most over the 1994-2007 period with 26 while Cleveland has had the least with one.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four (Falcons lost two: Barry Stokes, Kevin Shaffer). The 32 compensatory choices announced today will supplement the 223 choices in the seven rounds of the 2007 NFL Draft. This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

One club this year (Cincinnati) will receive a compensatory pick even though it did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents Cincinnati lost were ranked higher than the ones it signed (by a specified point differential based upon salary and performance).

The following 2007 draft picks have been determined by the NFL Management Council:

Third Round

33-96 -- San Diego

34-97 -- San Francisco

35-98 -- Indianapolis

36-99 -- Oakland

Fourth Round

33-132 -- Pittsburgh

34-133 -- Atlanta

35-134 -- Baltimore

36-135 -- San Francisco

37-136 -- Indianapolis

38-137 -- Baltimore

Fifth Round

33-170 -- Pittsburgh

34-171 -- New England

35-172 -- San Diego

36-173 -- Indianapolis

37-174 -- Baltimore

Sixth Round

33-207 -- Baltimore

34-208 -- New England

35-209 -- New England

36-210 -- Seattle

Seventh Round

33-243 -- Green Bay

34-244 -- Atlanta

35-245 -- Tampa Bay

36-246 -- Tampa Bay

37-247 -- New England

38-248 -- St. Louis

39-249 -- St. Louis

40-250 -- N.Y. Giants

41-251 -- Jacksonville

42-252 -- Jacksonville

43-253 -- Cincinnati

44-254 -- Oakland

45-255 -- Detroit

Picks 254-255 are supplemental compensatory picks (based upon draft-order formula) to fulfill the number of draft choices permitted by agreement with the NFL Players Association in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.