Why Is YKW Still On The Roster?

dilkin

It's for cap reasons. He is still under contract w/us, and if we cut him, all of his future allocated bonuses will escalate and count against our cap this year. Keeping him on the roster allows us to only count a percentage against the cap each year--that's still a big hit.

capATL (2/14/2008)
It's for cap reasons. He is still under contract w/us, and if we cut him, all of his future allocated bonuses will escalate and count against our cap this year. Keeping him on the roster allows us to only count a percentage against the cap each year--that's still a big hit.

It does count against are cap.... every game that games salary is taken off the cap... it is not all taken off the cap at once when hes on the suspended list.... so it does us no good to clear space but it would hurt more to cut him....

Petrino is NOT my hero (2/14/2008)

It does count against are cap.... every game that games salary is taken off the cap... it is not all taken off the cap at once when hes on the suspended list.... so it does us no good to clear space but it would hurt more to cut him....

not sure about that. I think I read that he doesnt count as long as he is suspended by the NFL.

Strictly for cap reasons. As long as he is suspended, his base salary does not count against the cap. But his bonus money does.

If they cut him now, the remaining portion of his prorated bonus money gets accelerated and counts against this year's cap. They most likely will cut him after June 1, or wait until next year and do the same.

It was that way last season because of the uncertainty of the situation. Given that he's in jail and won't be playing, we'll get all the base salary off the books upfront this year from what I understand...

capologist (2/14/2008)

It was that way last season because of the uncertainty of the situation. Given that he's in jail and won't be playing, we'll get all the base salary off the books upfront this year from what I understand...

You are right, because he was not officially suspended right away. Now that he is and definitely will not play this season, it immediately comes off the cap.

I thought I heard rumors a few weeks back that he would be cut soon and designated a June 1st cut.

Does anyone know how much more he accounts for bonus wise?

Would it be in the teams best interest to sign all the players we want and if possible cut to a point where we could fit his entire cap hit onto this year's roster? I would think they would want the spectre of MV to be gone ASAP.

thanat0s (2/14/2008)
One obvious reason is, the day he gets out of jail, he has trade value, and probably alot of it...

an overpaid qb with a huge ego problem who is an average passer at best who will not have even touched a football in at least 2 years has trade value?

we MIGHT be able to get a 5th round pick when he gets out