I got 2 words for you - TRADE DOWN!!!!!

Rev_Hal

I want to see the Falcons use their #1 pick in the most effective way possible, especially if it is the #3 pick. We need to trade down and get more picks. At #3, we can get a 1st and 2nd, or a 1st and 3rd at worst.

This draft is deep at OL, and a quality QB can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round. If we trade down in the first, we can still get a quality defensive lineman, and use the additional pick for another OL in 2 or 3.

I really see the Falcons addressing the QB situation with thier 2nd round pick.

f@lc0n$ (2/14/2008)
Agreed...

trade down with the bengals, get there #9 and their 2nd round pick

they might take this trade cause they really want to get their hands on Ellis

Then start the draft something like this

1st Round- Ryan Clady

2nd Round-Pat Sims

2nd Round-Gosder Cherilus

2nd Round-Chad Henne

I agree I lke the trade with Cin. and these 4 are the ones I had in my mock except I had Williams or Clady as LT since I think Williams will continue to climb

ugadawg (2/14/2008)
f@lc0n$ (2/14/2008)
Agreed...

trade down with the bengals, get there #9 and their 2nd round pick

they might take this trade cause they really want to get their hands on Ellis

Then start the draft something like this

1st Round- Ryan Clady

2nd Round-Pat Sims

2nd Round-Gosder Cherilus

2nd Round-Chad Henne

I agree I lke the trade with Cin. and these 4 are the ones I had in my mock except I had Williams or Clady as LT since I think Williams will continue to climb

The Benglas would only give up a 3rd to move up a few spots. I see teams in the 16-22 range being willing to give up their #2 to move up.

nobkowski (2/14/2008)
I agaree unless we can get Jake Long with our 1st. Trade DHall for an early pick (if we can)

and get Asante Samual in FA.

I really dont want to try sign Asante Samuel, hes gonna be overpriced. i do see why people wanna trade Hall however, its unlinkely he will resign next year, and i suppose people want to try get some value from him, but i would choose to keep him at this stage. He is a solid CB and one of the best in the league. Im not too keen on picking Jake Long either, people are saying he may struggle at LT, and taking him that early, he will expect to recieve Lt sort of wages. When in reality we may have to switch him to RT or G.

I think we dhould trade down. There are so many holes in this team, and we need as many picks as possible. This draft is very deep, and is filled with quality, more picks will lead to more holes being filled!!

The Benglas would only give up a 3rd to move up a few spots. I see teams in the 16-22 range being willing to give up their #2 to move up.

If you look at points

if we got the #3 pick thats worth 2200 ponts

the bengals #9 is worth 1350 points and their second rounder will be worth about 490.

the bengals are trading 1840 worth of picks, for a pick worth 2200....technically we would be losing out, but i would take this trade

I'm not on the "trade down" bandwagon yet. If the Falcons already have five picks in the first three rounds (pending comp pick eval), that seems like more than enough for one draft class. Also, why trade down from the top of the first round just to "plug a hole" when you can get a real difference maker at a position instead.

I think too many people want to assemble the team in one year and that's just not going to happen. With no QB, no team identity yet, the Falcons aren't going to challenge for a SB in '08. Rather than hit this year with quantity, I'd rather make sure we get quality and the pick from the likes of either Dorsey, Ellis, or Long (either one) if the staff thinks they are the right fit for the team.

I would agree on the trade down, but how far do we trade down? If we happen to get the 3rd pick, I think most teams would have to trade multiple 1st rounders to get in our spot. I think it depends who is left on the board. If Dorsey or Ellis are there, then I can see us staying in our spot. If they are gone and McFadden is still there, and we get a reasonable offer, then I would love to trade down somewhere between the 10-15 spot.

analogk37 (2/14/2008)
I'm not on the "trade down" bandwagon yet. If the Falcons already have five picks in the first three rounds (pending comp pick eval), that seems like more than enough for one draft class. Also, why trade down from the top of the first round just to "plug a hole" when you can get a real difference maker at a position instead.

I think too many people want to assemble the team in one year and that's just not going to happen. With no QB, no team identity yet, the Falcons aren't going to challenge for a SB in '08. Rather than hit this year with quantity, I'd rather make sure we get quality and the pick from the likes of either Dorsey, Ellis, or Long (either one) if the staff thinks they are the right fit for the team.

I would like to trade down. Getting several good players builds a TEAM not just drafting 1 great player. If you make the trade with Cin. that would be great. We need to explore what is out their, whether it be Dallas Cin. or anybody else. We have so many holes to fill that the more picks we have the better we come out.

Tiny (2/14/2008)
analogk37 (2/14/2008)

I would like to trade down. Getting several good players builds a TEAM not just drafting 1 great player. If you make the trade with Cin. that would be great. We need to explore what is out their, whether it be Dallas Cin. or anybody else. We have so many holes to fill that the more picks we have the better we come out.

If the Falcons do get the 3rd round comp pick for Kerney, then your talking about either 5 or 6 picks in the first three rounds. More may seem better, but I'd take my chances with a top five pick and four picks in rounds 2 & 3 rather than a mid to late first round pick and five picks in the next two rounds.

Remember, there's going to be more players to draft high in the '09 draft for the Falcons as well. The team doesn't have to be built all in '08.

Many say teams will not trade UP into the top 10 because of the saleries demanded nowdays, so that may present a problem. I've never been for trading DOWN until I starting asking these questions.

If McFadden was not there do the Falcons NEED an RB enough to draft one of the others this high?

IF RYAN was not there do the Falcons NEED a QB enough to draft one of the others this high?

IF Ellis or Dorsey were not there do the Falcons NEED a DT enough to draft one of the others this high?

I think this helps in deciding what the real NEEDS are and it has led me to think trading down may not be a bad idea if they can find a team that want to trade UP.

rev_hal (2/14/2008)
I want to see the Falcons use their #1 pick in the most effective way possible, especially if it is the #3 pick. We need to trade down and get more picks. At #3, we can get a 1st and 2nd, or a 1st and 3rd at worst.

This draft is deep at OL, and a quality QB can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round. If we trade down in the first, we can still get a quality defensive lineman, and use the additional pick for another OL in 2 or 3.

I really see the Falcons addressing the QB situation with thier 2nd round pick.

we can probably get 1st 2nd and 2nd of next year

nobkowski (2/14/2008)
I agaree unless we can get Jake Long with our 1st. Trade DHall for an early pick (if we can)

and get Asante Samual in FA.

and thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. your going to make asante the highest payed cb ever while other fa cbs are better tahn him.

analogk37 (2/14/2008)
Tiny (2/14/2008)
analogk37 (2/14/2008)

If the Falcons do get the 3rd round comp pick for Kerney, then your talking about either 5 or 6 picks in the first three rounds. More may seem better, but I'd take my chances with a top five pick and four picks in rounds 2 & 3 rather than a mid to late first round pick and five picks in the next two rounds.

Remember, there's going to be more players to draft high in the '09 draft for the Falcons as well. The team doesn't have to be built all in '08.

With you 100%. If we get a 3rd for PK then we will have 6 picks in the top 100-105. If when we pick 3-4-5 the guy who's sits top of our board is there then you take him. Only if you want a guy you can get lower down do you try to trade down.

This board cracks me up. There is very little opportunity to trade down before you are about to go on the clock. It's at that point other teams have bought into someone's hype out there and "have" to have a certain player. A good front office prepares for "all" scenarios in the draft and hopefully we have a plan in place for the first round.

In an ideal world I think it is always advisable to trade down. It's a numbers game and it's a salary cap world. It's a no-brainer. The local Cowpokes here have only not traded down at least one time in the Draft only twice in their 47 years