American Idol is making a comeback...

Peyton

Let's be honest. American Idol sucked last year. Badly. There were like 5 good looking people, and there were like 5 talented singers, and there were like 1 or 2 people that were both. Ok maybe just one that was both, and she won. And she was pretty fat.

This year there are at least 6 or 7 smoking hot girls in the top 12 and everyone of them can really sing. Did I mention they are smoking hot.

Oh yeah, a few of the guys sing well too.

Did I mention there are a bunch of smoking hot girls?

Congrats AI, you've sucked me back in for the moment, at least as long as we keep the smoking hot chicks on the show.

Well, it is a superficial show. But admittedly, I'm sucked back in again this year. My niece has auditioned 3 times, and she got a callback this year, but didn't make it to Hollywood. I don't think she even made it on TV, but I'm not sure cause I wasn't watching closely the first few shows. Tonight was good, and I think it will be a good competition this year. Better than we've seen in a while in terms of good singers.

I like that blonde girl but they never show her. She's hot. They just flash for like a second on her. Maybe they're saving her for later.

Know who I'm talking about? Not the goodie goodie "no rated R movies" pasty girl. She's tan and has like light hazel eyes.

I also predict the Irish girl with the blue eyes will be in the final 3.

prolikewhoa (2/13/2008)
I also predict the Irish girl with the blue eyes will be in the final 3.

Her name is Carly Smithson, and there's already some serious controversy surrounding her inclusion into the top 24...she's already had 1 major label record deal, with MCA. I like her too, and she can sing...but she had a major label album release a couple of years ago, and it flopped...so there's a storm brewing on whether or not her as a "professional" should've been allowed to compete against a bunch of amatuers...Personally, I hope she does well...but my odds on favorite of winning is Michael Johns, the Australian guy...but I like nearly all 24 of them to some degree...this will be a very interesting season. :P

Steve_Bartkowski (2/14/2008)
I turned it to that channel cuz I was gonna watch that "tell the truth" show and the end of American Idol was still on. They showed all the contestants dancing around like a bunch of fairies. That show is soooo ghey...

Well...it is Thursday...:P

BTW, if you were given an opportunity of showcasing yourself on that "ghey" show, in the hopes of landing yourself a major record deal, to do what you love to do AND get paid well for it, would you take it? Would you show up on that show, doing the fairy dancing in the closing credits, just so you could have the opportunity for several weeks to go out and perform in front of MILLIONS of people, and maybe, just maybe get a multi-million $$$ record deal? :unsure:

No I wouldn't. First of all I can't sing. I was never blessed with that ability (not that it's all about singing anyway). Second of all, I'm not young enough for American Idol anymore (they seem to only want teenagers). Third of all, I will not dance around like a fairy on national tv. So NO THANKS to American Idol. That show sux donkey ballz.

Fair enough...but if you dislike the show so much, then why are you always in these threads (either here or on the previous version of this MB) disscusing it? Or railing against those that find good fortune from appearing on it? If you find it so repugnat, why devote so much time to it? :crazy: :P

And to add to that point... The lead singer at my church who CAN sing VERY well tried out for American Idol. The prelim judges said he was a great singer and to come back next time. He didn't have the ghey teeny bopper image they were looking for nor did he dress like a freak. I told him if he dressed in a pink tootoo and sang like a girl they would probably let him through to the main judges where he could then sing for real.

Dont know what you mean by the 'teeny bopper image'. There have been plenty of contestants on there who have looked normal, heck there are more than a half dozen that dont fit the image you are talking about now.

I dont follow hardcore, I only watch until the eye candy is gone but I did get sucked into the one a couple years ago.

I just don't get it, I have tried numerous times to watch, but I just can't stand watching a karaoke contest unless I am at a bar and the singers are ripped.......someone please explain the fascination.........

It's really no different than watching MTV or VH1.

What keeps me involved (somtimes) are people that I dont like. Last year it was that ****** kid. This year it will be that doosh Chekeze Eza (or somthing like that).

Just getting the message out. A lot of other musicians are disgusted at what American Idol has done to the music industry. I'm embarrassed for the people that religiously follow that show.

Why be embarrased for those of that like and follow this show? I'm not asking for your empathy, sympathy, or pity...I'm a fan of good music. I don't need you or anyone else telling me what's good and what's not...I, like everyone else in this world, know best what I like...and I happen to find that many of the contestants on this show are very talented. Whether or not they have a future in the music industry, simply comes down to how many people are willing to buy their music.

As for what AI is doing to the industry...its not doing anything more than what the industry has always done...it's seeking out new talent, and promoting that talent, in the hopes of coaxing the buying public to purchase their music. The industry has always overhyped flavor of the month artists, whether it was Elvis, the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Britney Spears, Poison, Carrie Underwood, etc...whether or not these overhyped flavors go on to become megastars simply comes down to how many people like their music well enough to go purchase it, and pay to see them in concert.

As I've said dozens of times before, AI is nothing more than a modern day version of Battle of the Bands competitions that so many musical giants used to catapult themselves into stardom. Otis Redding won a local talent show in Macon for 15 or 16 weeks straight, which helped to lead to his discovery...and I doubt that many, if any, folks would ever think or say that he wasn't worth signing to a record deal. It's an opportunity for talented singers and performers to perform before a large group of consumers...just accept it for what it is...a talent show where, on occasion, some performers prove to be genuinely talented artists. It's entertainment with purpose...

;)

That sounds great and all *IF* American Idol really was a talent competition. It's not... It's a TV show designed to get ratings and promotes image, youth, and gheyness over real talent.

Well that's your opinion, and you're most certainly entitled to it. I think that the millions of albums that have been sold by artists who got competed on this show, as well as the Grammy, CMAs, People's Choice, and Oscar won by former participants of the show, prove your opinion to be incorrect. These may not be YOUR cup of team artists, but based on the past successes that this show has led to, I have to believe that they have talent. Just because I don't like certain artists or musical genres, doesn't mean that they're talentless. It's absurd to assume such a thing...

I've seen the show go against image and in some instances even age, many times in the past...but ultimately, since winners are based on votes, all of those things you hate, come into play, because those are things that are weighed and metered by the voting public. It's a talent contest, because these performers have talent, and they're competing for a common prize. What I find most refreshing is that someone doesn't have to win the competition to experience superstardom...performers like Mandisa, Melinda Doolittle, Chris Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, and Anthony Federov, just to name a few, have all gone on to experience tremendous success in the music world, and none of them won...****, most of them didn't even make the top 3 in their respective seasons. This competition has talent in it...you just have to be willing to put aside your automatic dislikes and biasness, and watch the show...

I don't worry about the first couple of weeks where they're auditioning in all the different cities...I watch it, and laugh, and cringe at the horrible ones...but I really take notice when they get ready to go into the live telecasts...thats when we get to concentrate on the talent. Image is a byproduct of the music industry. The music industry, NOT AI, puts a heavy emphasis on image...it's perceived that ugly, fat folks can't sell albums or pack concert halls, so you don't see many of them out there getting promoted. IMO, if you can sing, and sing well, then you've got a right to be heard, and in some cases, judged by the consumer. However, just because you have a right, doesn't mean you'll get the opportunity. It's on you to get yourself noticed...shows like AI provide opportunities to those that might not otherwise get a shot...

I don't think this is the greatest show on the planet...nor do I believe that most of the performers that come through its cast will make it big...or even make it modestly...but I've seen enough of them have success to believe the show is legit...;)

I can understand not wanting to watch the show. But I can't understand blaming the downfall of the music industry on American Idol. People buy crap music. That's not the music industry's fault, that's the public's fault.

As for me, I don't watch the show for the quality of the singing, although it's going to be pretty **** good this year. I watch it to see the human drama unfold and to check out the hot chicks.

Kady Malloy, Alaina Whitaker, Amy Davis, Brook White, Asia Epperson, Alexandra Lushington, Kristi Lee Cook, and Ramiele Lubay - 8 complete babes that can sing.

Plenty of reason for me to watch.

By the way, am I the only one that got a terrible headache listening to biker nurse chick (Amanda Overmyer)?

Peyton (2/14/2008)

By the way, am I the only one that got a terrible headache listening to biker nurse chick (Amanda Overmyer)?

Not sure about that...I think she's got talent...she needs to show she can sing something other Woodstock rock...but she's not bad...then again, I'm a huge fan of Janis Joplin too, so what Amanda was doing doesn't really bother me...she's not my favorite though...on the ladies' side, it's either Carly or Asia, although all of those gals can sing...again, I still think that Michael Johns (the Aussie) is the early front-runner...not that that's a good spot to be in, but I think he's there...:P