Leftwich will be given every opportunity to win the QB job

geraldg

I think Byron will be given every chance to start this year. In my opinion, Joey will be cut outright. The team will do everything it can to sign Redman at a reasonable price. If he is not re-signed, a QB will be drafted around the third or fourth round. DJ Shockley is the wild card. The time is now for him to show everyone he belongs. I really believe in this guy. Petrino never gave him a real chance in preseason last year. I see three scenarios on opening day:

1. Leftwich

2. Redman

3. Shockley

1. Redman

2. Shockley

3. Draft Pick

The one I prefer:

1. Leftwich

2. Shockley

3. Draft Pick

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im not in love with shockley like most others but i would rather have him as a starting qb than leftwich. i know shockley has proved anything but we all know what leftwich can and cant do and i just dont think he gives us the best chance to win. i would rather see what shockley can do and give him a chance.

now i say all of that as if we are not drafting a qb however i do believe we will be drafting a qb at some point early.

Leftwich never really had a chance. They guy had no chemistry with the WRs and was brutalized in the pocket. Is it a coincidence that the best QB last year was the one that had played in Petrino's system before and who actually threw to the receivers in training camp. Like I said before, if Leftwich can't win the job outright, he should be gone.

FalconFan13 (2/13/2008)
1. Redman

2. Shockley

3. Draft Pick

Thats my scenario i like. Im a Jag fan also as i like them as much as i do the Falcons. So i have followed lefty way to much to deal with him anymore lol. Him and Harrington can both kick rocks.

good to see you have Shock up there.

id go Shock, Redman, Gray. the Best is the starter and the worst is off the team if we draft a QB, which i doubt, because we only need a 4th qtr star/ game manager.

GEORGIAfan (2/13/2008)
FalconFan13 (2/13/2008)
1. Redman

2. Shockley

3. Draft Pick

Thats my scenario i like. Im a Jag fan also as i like them as much as i do the Falcons. So i have followed lefty way to much to deal with him anymore lol. Him and Harrington can both kick rocks.

good to see you have Shock up there.

id go Shock, Redman, Gray. the Best is the starter and the worst is off the team if we draft a QB, which i doubt, because we only need a 4th qtr star/ game manager.

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting Gray. I believe they are gonna lock him up as their backup for a descent payday as far as backups go. He isn't really gonna get a shot to start anywhere as of yet i don't think. But if JDR is crazy enough to release him i wouldn't mind signing him with the quickness and go in with those 3 as the QB's an save a draft pick.

geraldg (2/13/2008)
I think Byron will be given every chance to start this year. In my opinion, Joey will be cut outright. The team will do everything it can to sign Redman at a reasonable price. If he is not re-signed, a QB will be drafted around the third or fourth round. DJ Shockley is the wild card. The time is now for him to show everyone he belongs. I really believe in this guy. Petrino never gave him a real chance in preseason last year. I see three scenarios on opening day:

1. Leftwich

2. Redman

3. Shockley

1. Redman

2. Shockley

3. Draft Pick

The one I prefer:

1. Leftwich

2. Shockley

3. Draft Pick

I disagree , I think Lefty will be cut and Harrington will get another chance . We'll see. I will never understand why anyone would want to keep a QB who has never been successful any where he has been. I think he will be the first one to be cut after they watch the tapes his days will be over here in Atalnta.

geraldg (2/13/2008)
Leftwich never really had a chance. They guy had no chemistry with the WRs and was brutalized in the pocket. Is it a coincidence that the best QB last year was the one that had played in Petrino's system before and who actually threw to the receivers in training camp. Like I said before, if Leftwich can't win the job outright, he should be gone.

He played 1 year under Petrino and it wasn't even his best year. It wasn't just his chemistry with the WRs. It was his accuracy, his mobility, his awareness, his touch, and his arm stength that has been on his band wagon.

The Falcon Ace (2/13/2008)
geraldg (2/13/2008)

He played 1 year under Petrino and it wasn't even his best year. It wasn't just his chemistry with the WRs. It was his accuracy, his mobility, his awareness, his touch, and his arm stength that has been on his band wagon.

really what was his best year??

In 1998, under the guidance of Bobby Petrino and new Louisville head coach John L. Smith, Redman started 10 of 11 regular-season games as a junior and established Conference USA and Louisville season records for attempts (473), completions (309), yards (4,042) and touchdowns (29) despite missing a game because of a knee injury. His 404.2 yards-per-game average was the fifth highest in I-A history. On Nov. 14, 1998, Redman torched East Carolina by completing 44 of 56 passes (with six touchdown passes) for 592 yards -- the 10th-best single-game yardage total of all time.

^ under petrino.

As a senior in 1999, Redman started every game and completed 317 of 489 passes for 3,647 yards with 29 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He became the first quarterback in Division I-A history to complete more than 1,000 passes in a career, and he matched the I-A record for most seasons (three) with at least 3,000 passing yards. Redman received the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (named for the former University of Louisville and Baltimore Colts star), which is presented each year to the nation's top senior quarterback. Redman was the Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year, guiding Louisville to seven come-from-behind wins and helping the Cardinals make their second consecutive bowl appearance.

^senior year without Petrino.

he did better with petrino than without, and like it says he missed a game the year petrino was there.

geraldg (2/13/2008)

1. Leftwich

2. Redman

3. Shockley

1. Redman

2. Shockley

3. Draft Pick

The one I prefer:

1. Leftwich

2. Shockley

3. Draft Pick

The only choice I would take is the 2nd one. And I think Smith will too, Why? its not like he wasn't with the Jagz last year and could have talked to Del Rio about cutting leftwich. Coaches never talk about that between each other about final rosters.< (sarcasm) And he can look at our tapes with him, which sucked, with his .73 release speed SLOWEST in the league. I'm not saying he won't give leftwich a chance, but I bet its going to be a SLIM chance. ;)

i have a feeling leftwich will get a chance to start for us. he has a better track record then harrington and he just played 2 1/4 games for us (not even that if you count the injuries) he got thrust into tenn in the 4th(looked rusty). he started @ NO and only played the first half (looked pretty good). he started at tampa and played like 3 qtrs i think (probably his worst game in the NFL, couldnt do anything right). plus he has more respect around the league than harrington. remember the analysts were surprised that he was cut.

monoxide (2/13/2008)
How could you prefer anyone over Redman? He out performed EVERYONE easily. Even prefering Leftwich over Redman? WTF???

Perhaps you've never been introduced to some of our fans.

LMAO!! :D

Wouldn't they have to make a decision on Leftwich before "letting them battle it out"? I will be disappointed if they keep him around. Although I've kind of got mixed thoughts on it. On the one hand, I see 2008 as a rebuilding year, and am not really expecting anything in the way of a post season, so it's kind of like "What difference does it make?" On the other hand, I would like to see the rest of the offense get a chance to gel w/one guy, and have that guy be on the field the majority of the games, the majority of the time. I'm just not buyin' that Lefty can do that here. Maybe. If they do enough of the right things w/the OL. Otherwise, forget about it. He'll be shoppin' for aircasts early...

falconfootball (2/13/2008)
monoxide (2/13/2008)
How could you prefer anyone over Redman? He out performed EVERYONE easily. Even prefering Leftwich over Redman? WTF???

Wouldn't they have to make a decision on Leftwich before "letting them battle it out"? I will be disappointed if they keep him around. Although I've kind of got mixed thoughts on it. On the one hand, I see 2008 as a rebuilding year, and am not really expecting anything in the way of a post season, so it's kind of like "What difference does it make?" On the other hand, I would like to see the rest of the offense get a chance to gel w/one guy, and have that guy be on the field the majority of the games, the majority of the time. I'm just not buyin' that Lefty can do that here. Maybe. If they do enough of the right things w/the OL. Otherwise, forget about it. He'll be shoppin' for aircasts early...

if lefty had a clean pocket all the time he would ball for us...but then again any qb probably would...:blink:

bossFALCON (2/13/2008)
monoxide (2/13/2008)

if lefty had a clean pocket all the time he would ball for us...but then again any qb probably would...:blink:

I wouldn't go that far. Jags O-line is pretty good. Garrard rarely hit the ground unless the other team brought the house.

FalconFan13 (2/13/2008)
bossFALCON (2/13/2008)
monoxide (2/13/2008)

I wouldn't go that far. Jags O-line is pretty good. Garrard rarely hit the ground unless the other team brought the house.

yea you have a point. we would probably have to play NO's secondary all the time. he did good against them the first time. and roddy had 100+ yds.

Leftwich will be given the chance. If he doesn't cut it in training camp he'll be gone. What most people don't realize is that Del Rio's cutting of Leftwich was not that popular in Jacksonville. The only people who were really happy were the people screaming to bring back Mark Brunnell. The general thought was to keep him as a back up for whenever Gerrard went down, as Gerrard did.