I pray that the Falcons do not go out and sign to an outrageous contract any aging veteran OL

gazoo

The Falcons are not "one OL away" from greatness, we have a ton of holes in this roster and we are not playing with Monopoly Money.

Many decry "how could McKays put us in this position" as far as Brooking and Dunn's contract this year, yet will scream up and down for us to sign the most expensive FA OG this offseason (Alan Faneca) without realizing that that will eventually put us in the same place we are with Brookng and Dunn. YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

Faneca is 31 years old. He is going to require a MONSTER multi year contract. At the end of that contract he will be around 36 years old and have huge payouts due.

I think FA's is mopre about complements than it is rebuilding. I do not promote signing top end, brake the bank FA's that have never played a snap here to these monster contracts unless you are only a player away.

To rebuild this OL, we can find a veteran OG not named Faneca to service the RG spot while we develop a young stud we draft this year. We also need to draft a LT in the 2nd round (the draft is FULL of talent at LT in the top of the 2nd round) and posibbly can sign a servicable FA LT to hold down the position until the young stud learns the position and can start in a few games. Clabo actually played well at RT once he got his feet wet there so tha position is ok for now.

In FA, I would not mind getting a power back, FS, monster DT, MLB, TE and complements like this....but still, lets get young underpriced FA's and not go for these big names!

gritblitzer (2/13/2008)
With Dimitroff calling the shots now I'm sure he'll probably stick close to the Patriots blueprints by building this line through the draft.

This is my hope as well. I think we are more than a year away, so getting some talent via the draft for the OL is much better than blowing a huge wad on a high priced aging FA.

The Patriots blueprint is a good one for the OL. Build the OL through the draft with blue collar, tough nosed footbal players you dig out of the draft.

BTW.....I hope Blalock overcomes what appeared to be the rookie wall and has an excellent second year.

gazoo (2/13/2008)[/bBTW.....I hope Blalock overcomes what appeared to be the rookie wall and has an excellent second year.
Way too many people are giving up on this kid already. I think he's a heckuva lot better than he showed this year.

The Roddy White example ought to teach everyone to cool the jets on disregarding these kids' futures so quickly.....

Jamaal Anderson comes to mind. Played defensive end at Arkansas for less than 2 years and people want him to be Michael Strahan already. Not saying his year wasn't dissapointing, but I'm sure with the quality kid he is he's more upset about his performance than anyone on this MB could ever be.

somecut8 (2/13/2008)
agreed, but we are sort of one ol away - an LT. If clabo can step in at RG, then our oline will look like this

Draft, Blalock, McClure, Clabo, Weiner

which is pretty solid

Solid is ok but it doesnt win championships we need to get dominant in the trenches to become a contender

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Long either but that maybe too high for TD to take an O-lineman. I think we look for a sleeper with our first 2nd round pick and from my understanding LT Sam Baker from USC falls there or my personal sleeper Anthony Collins of Kansas with our second 2nd round pick. I think Smitty convinces Maurice Williams to sign with us and possibly Mularkey recruits Max Starks(although I have been told he has slow feet on the pass protection plateau). Great thread ZOO!

It's good to see many are on board with the idea that we are not one 31 year old brake the bank veteran OL away fro greatness and that it may not be wise to sign a FA like that.

Faneca would be older than Brooking and Dunn in 5 years, and the payout the last coupl,e of years of any contract Faneca signs will be enormous.

YOUTH.........dig around and find young guys you can develop.

If Weier is healthy, Clabo could man the RG spot until a draft pick is developed. Could take a year or more. LT is vital this year and at the top of the second round we should be able to find a starter....mabe not from day one, but signing a FA Stud LT is probably not going to happen for a couple reasons.....teams don;t le their stud LT's get away, and guys like Kevin Shaffer getting outrageous money in FA.

gazoo (2/13/2008)
The Falcons are not "one OL away" from greatness, we have a ton of holes in this roster and we are not playing with Monopoly Money.

Many decry "how could McKays put us in this position" as far as Brooking and Dunn's contract this year, yet will scream up and down for us to sign the most expensive FA OG this offseason (Alan Faneca) without realizing that that will eventually put us in the same place we are with Brookng and Dunn. YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

Faneca is 31 years old. He is going to require a MONSTER multi year contract. At the end of that contract he will be around 36 years old and have huge payouts due.

I think FA's is mopre about complements than it is rebuilding. I do not promote signing top end, brake the bank FA's that have never played a snap here to these monster contracts unless you are only a player away.

To rebuild this OL, we can find a veteran OG not named Faneca to service the RG spot while we develop a young stud we draft this year. We also need to draft a LT in the 2nd round (the draft is FULL of talent at LT in the top of the 2nd round) and posibbly can sign a servicable FA LT to hold down the position until the young stud learns the position and can start in a few games. Clabo actually played well at RT once he got his feet wet there so tha position is ok for now.

In FA, I would not mind getting a power back, FS, monster DT, MLB, TE and complements like this....but still, lets get young underpriced FA's and not go for these big names!

I agree. This draft is deep at OL, and there is going to be a lot of talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I'd like to see the Falcons trade down from #1 and get an extra pick to address the OL.

gritblitzer (2/13/2008)
gazoo (2/13/2008)[/bBTW.....I hope Blalock overcomes what appeared to be the rookie wall and has an excellent second year.
Way too many people are giving up on this kid already. I think he's a heckuva lot better than he showed this year.

The Roddy White example ought to teach everyone to cool the jets on disregarding these kids' futures so quickly.....

Jamaal Anderson comes to mind. Played defensive end at Arkansas for less than 2 years and people want him to be Michael Strahan already. Not saying his year wasn't dissapointing, but I'm sure with the quality kid he is he's more upset about his performance than anyone on this MB could ever be.

I'd like to see how Blalock performs when he has an actual NFL quality tackle playing next to him.

Well, your wrong. Having Alan Faneca will put one piece of the puzzle together that will help us build us an OL. He can be an anchor, mentor Blaylock, solitify the run game and tell us what we have and don't have.

Letting go of Dunn is the smart thing to do, that will happen anyways. Brooking just needs to accept less money. That alone will free up millions. Getting Alan Faneca will help anchor the line with a known Pro-bowler. Can't say enough about how important that is.

New Qb you say? how about getting him protection to allow him to grow.