Root cause of Falcon's weaknesses......

Bring It

If you analyze their fall from grace or competitiveness, the main problems, which can be fixed without major, major changes are :

1) O line - way below NFL calibre. Just pathetic in both run and pass blocking. Totally inconsistant.

2) Defense. Need one more major impact player on the line of scrimmage. A beast of a pass rusher. Total overhaul of the D backfield, especially up the middle, desperately need more speed there. Also, more aggressive approach on pass coverage. More physical, and tighter coverage schemes.

On defense over the past 5 years, the Falcons would play well on 1st and 2nd downs, then give away the farm on 3rd down...........regardless of yardage. Over and over again. This was because of poor defensive coaching, poor pass rush, mediocre speed in the defensive backfield.

All this will be addressed by Dimitroff and Smitty..............no doubt about it.

good points.i'ma say it til it's over free agency this will be a mark for some key playmakers or linemen depending on who's tagged.i'm just suggesting here,but i think we're going for haysworth and faneca or possibly j.gross since both line need one good,heathy player away from a solid line........

bigpoon (2/13/2008)
good points.i'ma say it til it's over free agency this will be a mark for some key playmakers or linemen depending on who's tagged.i'm just suggesting here,but i think we're going for haysworth and faneca or possibly j.gross since both line need one good,heathy player away from a solid line........

The only problem with free agency is : it's not as FREE as we would think. lol Many, many times over the past few years teams got burned bad by signing overpaid, mediocre players. Of course there were exceptions. I think we have TWO excellent evaluators of talent in Dimitroff and coach Smith, to avoid disaster in this area.

Bring It (2/13/2008)
bigpoon (2/13/2008)

The only problem with free agency is : it's not as FREE as we would think. lol Many, many times over the past few years teams got burned bad by signing overpaid, mediocre players. Of course there were exceptions. I think we have TWO excellent evaluators of talent in Dimitroff and coach Smith, to avoid disaster in this area.

yes, we do and their names ain't mckay and blank..

bigpoon (2/13/2008)
Bring It (2/13/2008)
bigpoon (2/13/2008)

yes, we do and their names ain't mckay and blank..

Amen !!!!!!!!!

Bring It (2/13/2008)

1) O line - way below NFL calibre. Just pathetic in both run and pass blocking. Totally inconsistant.

2) Defense. Need one more major impact player on the line of scrimmage. A beast of a pass rusher. Total overhaul of the D backfield, especially up the middle, desperately need more speed there. Also, more aggressive approach on pass coverage. More physical, and tighter coverage schemes.

On defense over the past 5 years, the Falcons would play well on 1st and 2nd downs, then give away the farm on 3rd down...........regardless of yardage. Over and over again. This was because of poor defensive coaching, poor pass rush, mediocre speed in the defensive backfield.

Offensive Line - I completely agree.

Defense - We need to just stay healthy. Abraham, Lewis, Coleman, and Anderson isn't really a bad lineup. However, since we hardly ever have all 4 on the field at once it gets annoying. A UT is something to think about drafting high. Dorsey and Ellis are looking like possible picks in the 1st round for us.

Under Zimmer we usually played aggressive schemes. 4-3 and 4-6, man to man, blitz often what we saw when things we working out way. The one thing I didn't like about Zimmer is that he would back off and let people pick us apart when the game was on the line, one example is the Arizona game.

However, we were one of the best or THE best in some catagories when it came to defense on 3rd downs. Our defense was great at the start of the season, but do to being on the field for 35+ minutes or more a game they wore out of the season. Out of our back 7, we should keep Hall, Houston, Milloy, and Boley. Crocker and DMO are shaky and if we can find a good replacements things would be great. Brooking is a enigma, but he cannot be at the MLB for even one more season.

Here is what I would do via defense.

1. Draft an MLB with one of our first 3 picks, let him compete with Taylor for starting position.

2. Move Brooking to OLB to replace DMO, keep DMO for special teams/2nd string or cut him.

3. Draft a DT high, Dorsey/Ellis seems what most draft predictions have us taking. Keep him as backup behind Coleman/Lewis, if one gets injured our their play drops have him come in.

4. Test Jimmy Williams at FS, if he doesn't show any sign of improvement we need to trade/cut him so we can get a FS via FA.