chris redman

prov1playa630

There is some talk that Atlanta quarterback Chris Redman played well enough to generate the interest of some other teams around the league. If the Falcons want to keep him, which all signs point to, they might have to add another year to a new deal or pay him a little bit more than initially anticipated. Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich are in limbo and there is no guarantee, with the potential roster purge, that either could be back.

from cnnsi.com

we definetely dont need Harrington and Leftwhich but i dont know about giving him too much money, he did good against bad D teams and i think he should get some money but he shouldnt be to greedy for the big contract before he proves he can do it, (look at Tony Romo he got his money than lost in the playoffs, thats not what we want to happen with Redman).

prov1playa630 (2/13/2008)
There is some talk that Atlanta quarterback Chris Redman played well enough to generate the interest of some other teams around the league. If the Falcons want to keep him, which all signs point to, they might have to add another year to a new deal or pay him a little bit more than initially anticipated. Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich are in limbo and there is no guarantee, with the potential roster purge, that either could be back.

from cnnsi.com

Which if you notice CNNSi lifted the story from the AJC -- and we all know how reliable the AJC is :w00t: -- that's why the story is placed in the truth and RUMORS section of the site

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/39954

When I've heard Chris interviewed it sounds like he wants to be here. Hopefully that will work in our favor. I would certainly rather have Redman playing for us this year over any of the QBs in the draft or other available free agents.

Just to shoot down the inevitable, I don't think he's the guy for the future, but he's proven to me that he's plenty tough enough (mentally and physically) to be our guy while we rebuild the line. The last thing we need to do is throw an inexperienced rookie to the wolves and basically ruin his career.

BruceReville (2/13/2008)
He had good games against the 19th - 21st - 28th - & 30th ranked pass defenses -- his only game against a quality pass defense he was 4-15 - 34 yards 0 TDs - 2 INTs -- QB rating of 0.0

I don't think any other team other than us is really looking hard at him

C'mon Bruce, you've got to be honest; how many QBs perform well in their first game against the Tampa 2? Not to mention a Tampa 2 that's polished and a Buccaneer defensive unit that's very good. I'll take one bad game.

IMHO, it won't take a great amount of money to keep Chris Redman here and I hope that TD offers him a contract. Chris is certainly not the long-term solution for us, but until we draft and develop a new QB, he has the necessary skills to lead us to greater success in 2008. This is especially true if we can improve our OL play and running game.

Redman is tough, has an accurate arm, good leadership skills, seems to have developed a chemistry with the receivers, reads defenses well and has good 'pocket awareness' that buys him the extra time to find open receivers. He also led the offense to their best production all season, behind the same OL that couldn't protect Joey or Byron.

C'mon Bruce, you've got to be honest; how many QBs perform well in their first game against the Tampa 2? Not to mention a Tampa 2 that's polished and a Buccaneer defensive unit that's very good. I'll take one bad game.

To properly evaluate a player you look at all games and all situations within those games -- you don't give a player a bye because one team has a really good defense and he played like crap - especially a defense we play twice a year - if that's the case then we should give Dunn a bye because of the 6 top 10 rushing defenses we played -- one of those teams we faced twice so that is 7 games he should get a bye

BruceReville (2/13/2008)

To properly evaluate a player you look at all games and all situations within those games -- you don't give a player a bye because one team has a really good defense and he played like crap - especially a defense we play twice a year - if that's the case then we should give Dunn a bye because of the 6 top 10 rushing defenses we played -- one of those teams we faced twice so that is 7 games he should get a bye

People keep forgetting that was the game where Petrino left earlier in the week. See how well you play when your team is in disarray. I swear Falcons fans are this team worst supporters.

direwolf (2/13/2008)
Redman would likely make a good stopgap while we train a new QB. I'm not looking at him as a long term solution, but he showed more than any other QB we've got and his teammates seem to respond to him.

Direwolf

I agree 100%. And IMHO he's proven to be better than Joey (loser), Byron (injured) and DJ (not proven to have NFL skills.)

To properly evaluate a player you look at all games and all situations within those games -- you don't give a player a bye because one team has a really good defense and he played like crap

Nor do you make your sole decision based on that one game. That logic suggests that Peyton Manning sucks because of his 6 interception performance against the Chargers this year. Everybody is going to have a bad game, everybody. And that game wasn't just because of Tampa's good defense. So yeah, the 1 bad game carries less weight than the other better performances.

Besides, that was the week after Petrino quit and you're kidding yourself if you believe that wasn't the biggest factor in the performance of the entire team in that game (not just Redman). Also, the game before was on Monday night. Petrino is gone by Tuesday so the Falcons have a very short week to gameplan for a playoff team, I really wasn't surprised at the results. What impressed me the most though is how Redman was able to bounce back after the worst statistical performance of his career. To me that speaks volumes. To me its clear that of the 3, Redman is by far the best fit for this team right now given its needs and circumstances.

Redman is my man, but I think $7 million over 3 years might be a bit much. It won't take that much to keep him around. If other teams are looking at him, it will be as a quality backup. But, I don't think you're going to see people throwing money at him.

Personally, I think he has what it takes to be a starter for the next couple of years. However, if I'm the GM or coach, I'm not betting my career on that. ATL should let Leftwich and Harrington go, give Shockley a chance to compete for the job, and bring in some new blood through the draft or a FA with proven ability. I still think Redman will win the starting job next year no matter who's on the roster, but I'd be perfectly okay if he's the backup QB because he got beat out by someone better during preseason. Most NFL clubs would kill to have a backup QB as good as Redman sitting on the bench. Just look how not having a quality backup QB bit Seattle when they put Seneca Wallace in against us.

BruceReville (2/13/2008)
He had good games against the 19th - 21st - 28th - & 30th ranked pass defenses -- his only game against a quality pass defense he was 4-15 - 34 yards 0 TDs - 2 INTs -- QB rating of 0.0

I don't think any other team other than us is really looking hard at him

You can look at it like that, but the Tampa Bay game was less than 4 days after Petrino left when he ran the offense. 4 days to hire a new HC and prepare for the #1 ranked pass defense and #2 overall one.

Most starters stayed the whole game or all the way through the 4th Q in the Seattle game.

No matter how you look at it though, he is still by far the best QB we have on this team.