I know people think brooking is the heart of team...

Did you know that Brooking made more money that the franchise tag for a LB.

Brooking was the 3rd highest paid LB in the NFL the only 2 guys making more money was Ray Lewis and Zack Thomas. Come on people the guy is not even close to this amount of money.

Ray Lewis $9.4 mil

Zack THomas $7.9 mil

KEITH BROOKING $7.9 MIL

just a few other names:

brian urlacher $5.8 mil

derrick brooks $3.7 mil

takeo spike $4.6 mil

jonathan vilama $1.9 mil

joey porter $3.4 mil

julian peterson $6.3 mil

Lance briggs FRANCHISE TAG $7.2 mil

I like brooking I think he played hard and is a good guy, but come come now.

I would take ANY of these guys on this list in place of Brooking. wouldn't you? I really think that brooking is worth about 3-4 mil a year nothing more than that. I actually think that is too much, but at this point he wouldn't take anything less than that from us.

what are your thoughts??

trubirdfan4life (2/13/2008)
very true he made tackles...how many were after a 5-7 yard gain?

how many were for loss?

those other guys on the list made plays...not just pile up tackles

Don't know but you're right he just piled up tackles -- he should have just let them run on by -- I mean he only averages close to 90 solo tackles a year -- Heck Julian Peterson got 74 this year his best yet -- wait that's total tackles (Solo + Assist) Zach averages around the same but he only paid 5 games last year due to injury Brooking has played every game since 2001.

Brooking also has had better years than Ray Lewis over the last 2 or Spikes in 7 out of his 10 years. Vilma has had 1 great year rest average while Brooking has had 84+ solo and over 100+ total for the last 7 years running.

But then again it s all numbers and numbers don t matter **** why even keep stats on anything all these numbers prove is that Brooking pursues and does make a play consistently. Consistency however doesn t seem to matter at all as long as you have a popular name or play on a popular team.

prov1playa630 (2/13/2008)
it takes more than tackles to be a great linebacker. brooking is slowing down when it comes to covering people downfield. he is a great player but not a 7.9 mil great player. cut that in half we got a deal. if he was truly the team player that we say he is he'll do it for the team

Never said he was great just said he was consistent -- it's funny when we have a player that is consistent and NOT a detriment to the team everyone wants to @$$ rape him because of the money he earns but if it's someone who is causing problems and has been a negative force on this team they want him to keep his money -- AND THEN SOME!!!

Well at least we let that Kerney guy go - he was slowing down and washed up as well

agree with this post......Keith Brooking's salary needs to be "halved" - i would propose it to him - if he beotches about it, then his arss is "cut".

If he wants to stay and take "market value" for his performance and get to live in the city/state he grew up in - great, glad to have ya!

dude we never let kerney go, he opted out of his deal. nothing the team could do about that.

why is it so hard to see that a consistant player, that brooking is, on this team is not worth that salary. He may be worth that on another team that could far more have use for what he brings...like the pats. He could go there and have success and take that big paycheck with him. I know that won't happen because no other team would pay him above the franchise tag. They are going to pay him market value which would bring him 3-5 mil a year.

You know that bruce. come on big guy. I love brooking and always have and I do value him as a player. The post is about the salary as it related to his impact on the team.

Brooking is NOT an impact player for us anymore. He hasn't laid wood on anyone in years.

at LB you should blow up someone every game. Brooking has stayed clean and he has stayed healthy and he has gotten compensated very well for that. But with that extra 3 or 4 mil we can get a safety, or an OG.

dude we never let kerney go, he opted out of his deal. nothing the team could do about that.

why is it so hard to see that a consistant player, that brooking is, on this team is not worth that salary. He may be worth that on another team that could far more have use for what he brings...like the pats. He could go there and have success and take that big paycheck with him. I know that won't happen because no other team would pay him above the franchise tag. They are going to pay him market value which would bring him 3-5 mil a year.

You know that bruce. come on big guy. I love brooking and always have and I do value him as a player. The post is about the salary as it related to his impact on the team.

Brooking is NOT an impact player for us anymore. He hasn't laid wood on anyone in years.

at LB you should blow up someone every game. Brooking has stayed clean and he has stayed healthy and he has gotten compensated very well for that. But with that extra 3 or 4 mil we can get a safety, or an OG.

I know he opted out -- but we still could have tried to resign him - just didn't go into the bid process for him

If we cut Brooking the upside is yeah we save money on his base salary but we would still take the cap hit for his remaining signing bonus which would come out to about 7 million salary cap hit this year - if we keep him his cap hit will be 8 million - 1 million dollar differance - no big savings -- if we wait until next year his cap hit would only be around 4 million total - so 1) No real savings on salary cap if we cut him - 2) Experience and consistency if we keep him - 3) Who will we get to come in and replace him?

I would hope that a LB be drafted and could rotate in with him and learn as he goes - instead of throwing him to the winds and having him not perform as well (Ala Anderson)

BruceReville (2/13/2008)

I know he opted out -- but we still could have tried to resign him - just didn't go into the bid process for him

If we cut Brooking the upside is yeah we save money on his base salary but we would still take the cap hit for his remaining signing bonus which would come out to about 7 million salary cap hit this year - if we keep him his cap hit will be 8 million - 1 million dollar differance - no big savings -- if we wait until next year his cap hit would only be around 4 million total - so 1) No real savings on salary cap if we cut him - 2) Experience and consistency if we keep him - 3) Who will we get to come in and replace him?

I would hope that a LB be drafted and could rotate in with him and learn as he goes - instead of throwing him to the winds and having him not perform as well (Ala Anderson)

ALRIGHT EVERYONE LISTEN TO BRUCE. He actually knows what he's talking about. Personally I would keep Brooking too. We have to wait till next year because, there aren't that many good MLBs in the draft. We probably won't sign a good MLB in the FA. But next year, there will be tons of good MLBs.

Plus, he's a team leader in the locker room, the only player that has superbowl experience on the team, and a player that I'm sure the FO would like to retire as a Falcons player.

brooking only had 2.2 in bonus money this year, his base salary was 4.9 his total cap hit was 7.9. we would not take the hit for his base salary of 5 mil. and these figures are for 2007 he get even more money in 2008. his total cap figure from reports I have read is about 10 mil and I heard this on the NFL network.

he will restructure or get traded for minimal return.