PS3 Breaks 1 Million Units Sold in the UK (Faster than PS2)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33064

Sony has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that the PlayStation 3 has sold over one million units in the UK.

The console was released in the UK on March 23 last year, meaning it has reached the milestone quicker than the PlayStation 2, which took 50 weeks to sell one million units.

The Wii broke 1 million 38 weeks after launch. The PS3, a product that was over double the price of the Wii, sold 1 million in 46 weeks after launch.

Of course, the PS2, which has sold over 120 million units in the world, and 45 million units in Europe, took longer than 46 weeks to reach the milestone.

It's only beginning for the PS3's dominance.

Remarkable (2/14/2008)
It's funny how you always see Sony fans pimping their sales overseas. We live in America where the PS3 is still in 3rd place.

Well unlike your ignorant self, Sony is globally-minded. Worlwide including the US, the PS3 is outselling the X360. Out of the 120 million PS2's sold so far, 80 million have been sold OUTSIDE the US. It's basically 1/3 for every region (NA/PAL/Japan).

Sales in the US will be in favor of the PS3 soon.

Remember back when I said blu-ray would win soon and you like a **** said I was wrong? Remember back when I said the PS3 will soon outsell the X360 in Europe?

Well guess what? I'm saying the PS3 will murder the X360 this year in total sales. The X360 will fall down in sales soon as no new system sellers are coming out. 2007 was the only year for the X360 due to Halo 3 and remnants of Gears of War.

Most big X360 games coming out this year are niche games like NGII, LO, and Too Human.

Now sit down and watch as you get proven wrong once more.

Did I mention the major manufacturing facility that has decided to stop fabricating X360's? This is why Microsoft right now is having trouble with their shipments in the US. Uh oh.

womfalcs3 (2/14/2008)
Remarkable (2/14/2008)
It's funny how you always see Sony fans pimping their sales overseas. We live in America where the PS3 is still in 3rd place.

Well unlike your ignorant self, Sony is globally-minded. Worlwide including the US, the PS3 is outselling the X360. Out of the 120 million PS2's sold so far, 80 million have been sold OUTSIDE the US. It's basically 1/3 for every region (NA/PAL/Japan).

Remember back when I said blu-ray would win soon and you like a **** said I was wrong? Remember back when I said the PS3 will soon outsell the X360 in Europe?

Well guess what? I'm saying the PS3 will murder the X360 this year in total sales. The X360 will fall down in sales soon as no new system sellers are coming out. 2007 was the only year for the X360 due to Halo 3 and remnants of Gears of War.

Most big X360 games coming out this year are niche games like NGII, LO, and Too Human.

Did I mention the major manufacturing facility that has decided to stop fabricating X360's? This is why Microsoft right now is having trouble with their shipments in the US. Uh oh.

man you guys really care about console sales. i have both a 360 and a ps3 and couldn't be happier. best of both worlds. who cares which one sells more in france? it's not going to change anything. both next gen consoles have already sold enough to guarantee their survival through this gen and that they will have both have a console in the next generation.

womfalcs3 (2/14/2008)
Remarkable (2/14/2008)

It's quotes like these that leave no doubt in my mind that you are an overweight virgin who lives in your parents basement collecting comic books. I hope your second life avatar can interact with people better than you can here.

By the way, your rapid love for Sony is really creepy. Seriously, seek help.

"It's quotes like these that leave no doubt in my mind that you are an overweight virgin who lives in your parents basement collecting comic books. I hope your second life avatar can interact with people better than you can here.

By the way, your rapid love for Sony is really creepy. Seriously, seek help."

Couldn't agree more. It really is pathetic to back a company so much. You take knocks on Sony as a knock on you.

ucsbdirtybird (2/14/2008)
womfalcs3 (2/14/2008)
Remarkable (2/14/2008)

It's quotes like these that leave no doubt in my mind that you are an overweight virgin who lives in your parents basement collecting comic books. I hope your second life avatar can interact with people better than you can here.

By the way, your rapid love for Sony is really creepy. Seriously, seek help.

Rather than attempting to profile members, at which you fail as I'm not whom you describe, contribute to the threads in which you post.

I love it actually. Remarkable and Halifax last year.... "Blu-ray will lose, HD-DVD will win". Remarkable and Halifax now, "I don't really care. Anybody who cares is a loser."

Well, I stand by my caricature of you, because you clearly are a social outcast, but I will humor you here.

The fact that Blue Ray took over the market should come as a surprise to you, given Sony's track record of failure in developing formats. I am fine with that outcome and I appreciate the fact that there is finally a clear winner. But a year ago, Blue Ray discs were having issues in their manufacturing, the Blue Ray players were (and still are to my knowledge) having issues going from 1.0 to 1.1, now to 2.0 specs. And the stand alone player rate was fairly even, so if someone said then that HD DVD would win then they certainly had their reasons, and someone that thought BR would win was on equally sure ground.

Now as far as the PS3 is concerned, you are posting this on a message board designed for fans of the Atlanta Falcons, a team for which I question whether or not you even know the color scheme. Now, in case you weren't aware, this is an American football team, so people here will, by and large, be primarily interested in American numbers, where the XBOX 360 is crushing Sony's PS3 at the moment. Will this change? Maybe, but it will have as much to do with the fact that the 360 already has so many units in houses as it does with MGS and Grand Turismo. If and when Sony overtakes the 360 in total households here then people will care more about what you are saying. Global as it may be, the point of video games is to play good games with your friends (don't worry, eventually even for you the latter part of that statement will become a possibility; I'm pulling for you). So globally, who cares what people are playing, all I know is that most of my friends play the 360, so that is what I started with and what is important to me. But before you call me a fanboy, realize that I do have a PS 3 sitting in my entertainment stand, and it is a **** of a Blue Ray player. But every game that I play multiplayer I will buy for the 360 if it is available, due both to XBOX Live, and more importantly, that is the system my friends play.

And yes, I am a condescending SOB, but you clearly see the value in employing that tactic, so I will use a language you understand. I derive no personal pleasure from the success of one company or the failure of another. Most people don t, that would just be pathetic&

& like I said, most people.

Please show where I ever said Blu-Ray would lose. All I ever remember saying is "who cares about movies when talking about a gaming console?" I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a DVD. The PS3 fails where it matters most. It's funny how at the beginning of this you tried to be mature and take the high road, now you're the most aggrevated and immature poster on these forums. :D

All this worrying about selling of consoles and such is just stupid to me. Have what you want and enjoy it. None of them are going away. And you guys leave womfalcs alone, he professed a while back that he really likes Sony as a company and wants to work for them. Naturally he would be interested in how they perform. You could go about a different method of reporting it though. Cause truth be told, the majority of us really don't care how much they sell in Europe.

Vargil (2/18/2008)
All this worrying about selling of consoles and such is just stupid to me. Have what you want and enjoy it. None of them are going away. And you guys leave womfalcs alone, he professed a while back that he really likes Sony as a company and wants to work for them. Naturally he would be interested in how they perform. You could go about a different method of reporting it though. Cause truth be told, the majority of us really don't care how much they sell in Europe.

I think the majority of us couldn't care less about sales numbers (at least I couldn't), it's just hilarious watching him get riled up. If he lightened up people wouldn't give him such a hard time.

Remarkable (2/18/2008)
Vargil (2/18/2008)

I think the majority of us couldn't care less about sales numbers (at least I couldn't), it's just hilarious watching him get riled up. If he lightened up people wouldn't give him such a hard time.

LOL I have a dozen AFMB members in my PSN buddy list. I don't think I'm getting a hard time from anybody. Don't flatter yourself.

Anyway, going off to discuss how the PS3 beat the X360 in the US in January and what this means in terms of distribution and shipment.

I care about sales because sales dictate the future of a console. If you don't care about sales, you don't care about your investment and how long it will give returns.

womfalcs3 (2/18/2008)
Remarkable (2/18/2008)
Vargil (2/18/2008)

LOL I have a dozen AFMB members in my PSN buddy list. I don't think I'm getting a hard time from anybody. Don't flatter yourself.

Anyway, going off to discuss how the PS3 beat the X360 in the US in January and what this means in terms of distribution and shipment.

I care about sales because sales dictate the future of a console. If you don't care about sales, you don't care about your investment and how long it will give returns.

If you are really THAT concerned with a $500 purchase that you feel you must do research and watch sales numbers to figure out "how long it will give returns" then you probably shouldnt have spent $500 in the first place. If $500 is equivalent to the purchase of a home and effects you in a way that you are calculating its future worth and usefullness, then you probably needed that $500 for a lot more than a video game console.

atripes (2/18/2008)
womfalcs3 (2/18/2008)
Remarkable (2/18/2008)
Vargil (2/18/2008)

If you are really THAT concerned with a $500 purchase that you feel you must do research and watch sales numbers to figure out "how long it will give returns" then you probably shouldnt have spent $500 in the first place. If $500 is equivalent to the purchase of a home and effects you in a way that you are calculating its future worth and usefullness, then you probably needed that $500 for a lot more than a video game console.

I'm not worried about my PS3. It will destroy the X360 in sales.

I never doubted the PS3 and I never doubt my logic (My logic, after all, is the reason I make the money I do).

I'm just telling you all why tracking sales is important.

By the way, for what the PS3 provides, I would've spent 800 dollars for it at the time of launch. Of course, I spent 600, and I don't regret it one bit. The PS3 will prevail as logical thought sees it happening.

atripes (2/18/2008)

Exactly. Someone needs to get their priorities straight.