Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robb4242

AFMB Interactive Mock draft discussion thread

1,703 posts in this topic

I'm pretty happy with my draft as it turns out

Limas Sweed WR

Jared Mayo LB

Terrell Thomas CB

Shawn Crable LB

John Greco OT

Antuan Molden CB

Robert Felton OG

Ben Moffit LB

Barry Booker DE

Got Some depth along the lines, started the youth movenment in an aging line backer corps. Got a Top WR.

To go a long with the FA moves of Keeping Samuel and adding Bryant Johnson.

you took one of my top prospects (Shawn Crable) I was going to take him that same round.

I also think Sweed is going to be bigtime in the NFL. You had one of the better drafts as far as overall talent IMO.

EDIT: I had to add in that my first 3rounds own all as far as talent and fitment.... :laugh:

1989fan (3/27/2008)
you took one of my top prospects (Shawn Crable) I was going to take him that same round.

I also think Sweed is going to be bigtime in the NFL. You had one of the better drafts as far as overall talent IMO.

EDIT: I had to add in that my first 3rounds own all as far as talent and fitment.... :laugh:

I really wanted Groves and if Rivers hadn't come off the board one pick before mine i would have snatched manningham a few selections before you could have.

My Offseason

2-41 (f/DET) - Early Doucet, WR, LSU - I traded down to get more picks, and still wound up with one of my favorite receivers in the draft

2-56 (f/GB) - DaJuan Morgan, FS, NC State - I needed an upgrade over Mark Roman, and I got the 2nd best FS in the draft

3-87 (f/DET) - Marcus Howard, LB, Georgia - Don't know where he will play yet in the 3-4 (ILB?), but I love the athletes; a situational pass-rusher while he is being groomed as a LB 

4-103 - Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia - Could be Norwood-like as a situational back behind Frank Gore

6-175 (f/PHI) - Simeon Castille, DB, Alabama - a very good CB at Alabama, but will likely be a S or NB at this level; either way, he was the highest rated player on my board at this point

6-182 (f/PHI) - Chad Rinehart, OG, Northern Iowa - Was an all-american at his level as a LT, but will transition to OG; will likely be a future starter, which is great for a 6th rounder

7-196 - King Dunlap, OT, Auburn - a PROJECT; has the physical aspects that you look for, but lacks a killer instict

DT Grady Jackson (FA) - An upgrade at NT for 2-3 years

OG Tyson Clabo (FA) - Young, versatile lineman, who is an immediate starter at OG

ILB Jeremiah Trotter (FA) - Now can play in the offense that suits him best - the 3-4; best assets are attacking the line and stopping the run

WR Andre Davis (FA) - A top 5 return man; adds depth at WR, and is a good fit for Martz's vertical passing game

WR Steve Smith (Trade) - best part of my whole offseason; Martz can breath a sigh of relief

OLB/DE Jevon Kearse (Trade) - his best chance to carry on his career is as a 3-4 rush OLB; adds another pass-rusher to the arsenal

Overall, I think I did very well. The only spot I still need to sure up is DE, but the value was never there in the draft.

Ok, I've been asked by several people, can we do an UDFA after the draft. I really cannot figure out a fair way to make this happen. The only thing I think I can do is put them up 1st come, 1st served.

So, once the draft if finally completed, I'll post a day and time to start making those UDFA picks. It will be at least 24 hours from the time I post, that way, I can just say start now & then grab the 1st 2 UDFAs.

jidady (3/26/2008)
Let's be honest here. This year's draft has been an unmitigated disaster in terms of getting people to pick.
Totally agree, this should have taken about 2 weeks to complete, instead, it's right at a month almost.

I am not saying dont do them, but we never did for a reason. It is impossible for it to be fair. People are in different timezones, have different work times, etc.

And that shouldnt dictate who gets left out on additional talent.

1989fan (3/27/2008)
I am not saying dont do them, but we never did for a reason. It is impossible for it to be fair. People are in different timezones, have different work times, etc.

And that shouldnt dictate who gets left out on additional talent.

I know. Have been trying to think of a way to fairly do it, and it's almost impossible.

Here is what I was thinking, and again, it's not a great solution.....

basically have 2 rounds, 1 day each, 24 hours to pick a player. 1st round might start at say 6am EST on Monday and teams can pick 1 UDFA, 1st come, 1st serve. This round ends Tuesday at 6am.

Round 2 starts at 10pm EST on Tuesday and runs until 10pm Wed. That way people that are up later EST time would have dibs on round 2.

Or I might swap the starting times (late start Monday, early start Wed.) or something like that.

Like I said, not a great solution, but since I've had several people asking about it, was trying to think of a way to make it happen.

grendel (3/27/2008)
Let's just let it die a merciful and overdue death

Agreed, because those two days for the UDFA's will somehow end up adding like another week and a half.

BillyWitchDoctor (3/27/2008)
grendel (3/27/2008)
Let's just let it die a merciful and overdue death

Agreed, because those two days for the UDFA's will somehow end up adding like another week and a half.

LOL......ok then, nevermind

JRob215 (3/27/2008)
My Offseason

2-41 (f/DET) - Early Doucet, WR, LSU - I traded down to get more picks, and still wound up with one of my favorite receivers in the draft

2-56 (f/GB) - DaJuan Morgan, FS, NC State - I needed an upgrade over Mark Roman, and I got the 2nd best FS in the draft

3-87 (f/DET) - Marcus Howard, LB, Georgia - Don't know where he will play yet in the 3-4 (ILB?), but I love the athletes; a situational pass-rusher while he is being groomed as a LB 

4-103 - Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia - Could be Norwood-like as a situational back behind Frank Gore

6-175 (f/PHI) - Simeon Castille, DB, Alabama - a very good CB at Alabama, but will likely be a S or NB at this level; either way, he was the highest rated player on my board at this point

6-182 (f/PHI) - Chad Rinehart, OG, Northern Iowa - Was an all-american at his level as a LT, but will transition to OG; will likely be a future starter, which is great for a 6th rounder

7-196 - King Dunlap, OT, Auburn - a PROJECT; has the physical aspects that you look for, but lacks a killer instict

DT Grady Jackson (FA) - An upgrade at NT for 2-3 years

OG Tyson Clabo (FA) - Young, versatile lineman, who is an immediate starter at OG

ILB Jeremiah Trotter (FA) - Now can play in the offense that suits him best - the 3-4; best assets are attacking the line and stopping the run

WR Andre Davis (FA) - A top 5 return man; adds depth at WR, and is a good fit for Martz's vertical passing game

WR Steve Smith (Trade) - best part of my whole offseason; Martz can breath a sigh of relief

OLB/DE Jevon Kearse (Trade) - his best chance to carry on his career is as a 3-4 rush OLB; adds another pass-rusher to the arsenal

Overall, I think I did very well. The only spot I still need to sure up is DE, but the value was never there in the draft.

Bump. What do you guys think?

I think Draftnuts idea about UDFA's is the most logical. We should follow the order as in Round 1 (note taking away all the trades) and then flip it in Round 2, so back first.

sooooo.....who had the best draft?

And BTW, are we going to be writting a summary about our draft and FA signings and explaining how they made the team better? And what about a poll to see who had the best draft?

papikaika (3/27/2008)
I think Draftnuts idea about UDFA's is the most logical. We should follow the order as in Round 1 (note taking away all the trades) and then flip it in Round 2, so back first.

I think that makes the most sense. And if people don't want to do it, they don't have to.

DrDetecto (3/27/2008)
papikaika (3/27/2008)

I think that makes the most sense. And if people don't want to do it, they don't have to.

And let each team get 2 players per round in 2 rounds , that would give each team that wanted to be a part end up with 4 players which is about right .

papikaika (3/27/2008)
Yeah, but it's taken 4 weeks to do 7 rounds.  I don't want to still be signing UDFA's at the same time the NFL teams are signing theirs.

Robb4242 (3/28/2008)
papikaika (3/27/2008)
Yeah, but it's taken 4 weeks to do 7 rounds.  I don't want to still be signing UDFA's at the same time the NFL teams are signing theirs.

:laugh: That's so true. The UDFA would have been a good idea....had the draft not taken a month.

Robb4242 (3/28/2008)
papikaika (3/27/2008)

I can understand Robb , just say the word on how you want it and we'll be good . It does take to long . I have a couple of OTs I need to pick up . That is the only weakness of my draft . But like I said, If I were a GM . I'd mostly take care of my OTs with Vets , of course I would have taken some if I had all the picks we will have , I think you'll see when I do my last Mock in SacFalcons Mock Draft game , If he dose it this year.

Plus, considering the folks that live on the West Coast, including myself that lives in Hawaii. The time zones are different and I could lose out.

Thats why i chose to propose Draftnuts idea.

If we're going to do this, it needs to be soon. I'd automatically exclude the teams that didn't participate and ones that were always late (NYG, JAX, DEN, TB, etc.).

BTW, we should just do it by record then, since it's only 2 rounds. The 49ers pick 29th in the first and 7th in the other rounds, so I would get stuck with 2 low picks.

The Cush (3/28/2008)
I'd say forget the UDFA... Let's just do recaps and have a poll on who had the best draft and offseason.

I agree, and from what I've seen I think Robb does too.