I bet we will not draft a QB earlier than 3rd

Jim Caldwell

From all the comments and past experience - the coaches will want to build a killer defense and running game. We will turn back into a run 1st team - using more play action passing. For this to happen I bet this will be the scenerio:

1st - Draft best OL or DL

2nd (1) - Draft best RB (Maybe Stewart will drop to here?)

2nd (2) - Best OL or DL

3rd - QB - Brennan or Someone that is sitting here - even if he is a bust we can take this risk

4th (1) - Best OL or DL

4th (2) - Best DB

5th, 6th, 7th - BPA

I for one hope this happens - I want to go back to the days of smash mouth football - we are not the Patriots/Colts/Bengals kind of team!

hmm I don't want to draft a QB in round 1, but if we wait until round 3 then we will end up with someone like Ainge. I don't want to risk that! I can't see how we do not draft a QB this year, it's too big of a need. Unless we get one in FA ... But if we do draft one, then I'd rather see that pick made with one of our 2nd round picks. I think that gives us a much better chance of success. oh and there is no way that Stewart drops out of the first round. He is most likely the second RB taken

snicker (2/12/2008)
hmm I don't want to draft a QB in round 1, but if we wait until round 3 then we will end up with someone like Ainge. I don't want to risk that! I can't see how we do not draft a QB this year, it's too big of a need. Unless we get one in FA ... But if we do draft one, then I'd rather see that pick made with one of our 2nd round picks. I think that gives us a much better chance of success. oh and there is no way that Stewart drops out of the first round. He is most likely the second RB taken

Stewart POTENTIALLY could drop to the first couple picks of the 2nd... there is a strong possibility that Felix Jones and Mendenhall will both go ahead of him... its all about how many running backs go in the 1st

Don't forget we have 2 2nd round picks.

If TD isn't giving us a smoke screen it's highly unlikely that we take one with our top 5 pick. Thank goodness considering the depth and the fact that it would be saying no to Matt Ryan.

But if there is a run on QBs in the 1st round in Brohm, Woodson, and Ryan.

Don't be surprised to see us get a guy in the 2nd in Henne/Flacco/Johnson

It's highly likely no more than 2 RBs will be taken in the 1st round.... It is usually only 2 or 3 per round for RB the last 6 years. This will leave us a good RB for the 2nd round. We could definatly at least get one of these in the 2nd round: Mendenhall, Felix Jones or Stewart.

Why do we need a QB so bad? There are not a lot of great ones this year in the draft. They all seem very average. I do think we need a QB of the future - but I just don't see it as a lock from anyone in this draft.

This draft has the best DL, OL and RB in a while - all major needs of our team right now.

We may end up with an average season if we don't draft a QB - but even if we drafted a 1st rounder he would not start until mid-season and probably bomb then with our current OL/RB combination.

Jim Caldwell (2/12/2008)
It's highly likely no more than 2 RBs will be taken in the 1st round.... It is usually only 2 or 3 per round for RB the last 6 years. This will leave us a good RB for the 2nd round. We could definatly at least get one of these in the 2nd round: Mendenhall, Felix Jones or Stewart.

Why do we need a QB so bad? There are not a lot of great ones this year in the draft. They all seem very average. I do think we need a QB of the future - but I just don't see it as a lock from anyone in this draft.

This draft has the best DL, OL and RB in a while - all major needs of our team right now.

We may end up with an average season if we don't draft a QB - but even if we drafted a 1st rounder he would not start until mid-season and probably bomb then with our current OL/RB combination.

We are rebuilding. And QB is one of those positions where you don't get through FA when you're a rebuilding team. The young ones are locked up. You have to draft a QB.

You can't wait for another draft. Especially not next year when there are so many unknowns. A)You don't know if the underclassmen will even declare B)You don't know if they will be there when you pick and C)They may not even be as good as they were this year D)While you're waiting another 2-3 years for the QB to start, the one you draft in this class could be ready to play the following season

This class has some talent at the QB position. It's strange because Matt Ryan is the face of the class and he's one of the most overrated prospects I've ever seen.

Then you have Brian Brohm who has gone from top 5 worthy to comehow completely underrated.

Andre Woodson with the tremendous upside and the love/hate relationship with his release.

The Division 1/AA Qbs with tremendous upside.

Chad Henne with the consistent career and nice physical tools.

It's highly likely that a couple of these guys if not more will be very good QBs in this leageu

well i agree with you also to some point..but what about an Lb?? or u know what until i see atlanta let some baggage go than i would say who or what postion dey would draft..but now it's 2 early from what i can see unless we pull a miami move but i don't see atlanta doing that

I don't think that we will wait until the 3rd to get our QB, we will pick him in the second more than likely it will be Henne or Flacco. Ainge(no,no,no) seen him play his entire career too inconsistent had solid teams around him and did not produce, Woodson(no, but if we did draft him in the 3rd would not hurt my feelings. Reminds me too much of Culpepper big guy who can throw, will wind up being just a 2-3 year fad. Dixon, probably won't even play QB at the next level will move over to WR like Randel El(may have misspelled). Don't know too much about the other QB's.

I was referrring 3rd ROUND - not 3rd pick...

LB is a big question for me also... We really do need a MLB - but I don't know if there is one good enough this year to outplay brooking or tony taylor? If so - I just don't know about him.

Lauranitis was one that I was curious about - but he decided to stay 1 more year at Ohio. Maybe we try to groom Taylor this year and if that does not seem promising we can get him next year? Tough decision.

BUT - if we fix O-Line and D-line this year - and get a running back... next years draft we really only have to look at QB, MLB and FS maybe... We would be in goood shape.

Jim Caldwell (2/12/2008)
I was referrring 3rd ROUND - not 3rd pick...

LB is a big question for me also... We really do need a MLB - but I don't know if there is one good enough this year to outplay brooking or tony taylor? If so - I just don't know about him.

Lauranitis was one that I was curious about - but he decided to stay 1 more year at Ohio. Maybe we try to groom Taylor this year and if that does not seem promising we can get him next year? Tough decision.

BUT - if we fix O-Line and D-line this year - and get a running back... next years draft we really only have to look at QB, MLB and FS maybe... We would be in goood shape.

Yeah I agree somewhat, I think that it takes about 2 years to put together a solid team with great drafting. I agree we should look at the oline and dline this year, and next year look at the Linebackers and secondary and a possible QB if possible.

I wish I knew, truthfully I dont do the draft thing, I hate to talk about possibles, and who will be the best for us here. I did that last time and its a load of crock regaurdless of who we say is the best fit here we are not incontrol of this team we are only fans. The front office makes the decision on who they want to sign. Only thing the falcons need from us is to just buy tickets.

It seems like the new regime is definitely defensive focused. I would love to just see the O-line and D-line worked on. I would hate a QB in the 1st round, but if one isn't taken in the 1st or 2nd, then I don't want to see one taken, because at that point the odds of landing a franchise QB this team needs is slim. I would rather see the team focus on building the trenches and signing someone in FA at QB.

That said I think we need to see a K taken somewhere in there as well.