McFadden

Chris Mullis

I think we should get McFadden with our 1st round pick, and pick up a QB with our 2nd round... I believe if MAtt Ryan isn't available that Colt Brennan or Brian Brohm will still be available by the time our 2nd round pick gets here. Just like A. Peterson, I believe McFadden will show out and get Rookie of the year. Plus as Dunn is nearing the end of his career, McFadden and Norwood as splitbacks setup sounds pretty sweet to my ears.

Chris Mullis (2/12/2008)
I think we should get McFadden with our 1st round pick, and pick up a QB with our 2nd round... I believe if MAtt Ryan isn't available that Colt Brennan or Brian Brohm will still be available by the time our 2nd round pick gets here. Just like A. Peterson, I believe McFadden will show out and get Rookie of the year. Plus as Dunn is nearing the end of his career, McFadden and Norwood as splitbacks setup sounds pretty sweet to my ears.

I agree, we should draft nothing but RB's, QB's, and WR's in the draft and play them all their rookie seasons behind the swiss cheese that is the Falcons' O-Line. Instead for watching for our win total to go up we could watch to see how many rookie careers we could end in one season.

Nobody denies McFadden is a highly talented RB, but that doesn't make him worth a top 5 pick to a team that doesn't need to take chances with character and already has a similar RB. Yes, I know that Mcfadden and Norwood are not exactly the same, but there are similarities in thier strengths: speed, burst, open field elusiveness, kill angles, catch pretty well, etc.

Chris Mullis (2/12/2008)

Redundant and ignorant post....Brohm is a 1st rounder no doubt....

halsey (2/12/2008)
Nobody denies McFadden is a highly talented RB, but that doesn't make him worth a top 5 pick to a team that doesn't need to take chances with character and already has a similar RB. Yes, I know that Mcfadden and Norwood are not exactly the same, but there are similarities in thier strengths: speed, burst, open field elusiveness, kill angles, catch pretty well, etc.

Agreed. And you just know that he's going to try to secure an ungodly amount of guaranteed cash if we draft him that high. I would rather see the birds spread some money around FA and the draft then throw all our money at a potential "star". We have been down that road already and look where we ended up.

Twinblade (2/12/2008)
I found it funny how people that don't want him always bring up some stupid little bar fight. Why? because they have nothing else against McFadden thats why.

Questions concearn his ability to run in traffic. Many of his eye popping numbers are because he had holes big enough for a truck created by an above average offensive line.

texasbirdfan (2/12/2008)
Twinblade (2/12/2008)
I found it funny how people that don't want him always bring up some stupid little bar fight. Why? because they have nothing else against McFadden thats why.

Questions concearn his ability to run in traffic. Many of his eye popping numbers are because he had holes big enough for a truck created by an above average offensive line.

And he can't improve that why? If I'm not mistaking, didn't we just hired a RB coach from SD who worked with LT? Yeah just some another excuse for you not wanting McFadden.

halsey (2/12/2008)
No, the Falcons don't need a bar fighting version of Norwood.
thank you! i will take rashard mendenhall over mcfadden any day. mendenhall muscles along is enough to put fear in his opponent's minds. he's so strong that he's able to pick up extra yards on his own. we hadn't had a rb like that since william andrews.

Anyone that wants to argue for Mendenhall, Jesus Christ, do you hate the Falcons and just like the thought of them spending another top pick on a guy that produced for one year? McFadden is the second most productive runner in SEC history, on a terrible, terrible team with no passing game against SEC defenses that were stacking 9 in the box. How in the **** does a running back even carry the ball 325 times in those conditions? Much less do as much as McFadden did with all of those touches? He was playing for the absolute worst of the SEC, and yet beat eventual SEC and National Champion LSU, largely because he got the ball so much and spent so much time knocking Ali Highsmith on his ##### all day. He runs harder than anyone in the draft, it doesn't show up on youtube highlights when he's in the open field, it shows up on the rest of the 25 carries he got every game.

our first pick should either be jake long, matt ryan or ellis.

i dont believe our oline is THAT horrible, but it could use some help, and franchise OLmen are just as hard to find as Franchise QB's. i like ryan, he has good decision making, and didnt play for a outstanding team, played against some good defenses, has good accuracy, and above average arm strength. he has the size to add some weight, and not lose mobility.

i would really like to see norwood get 20+ carries like dunn and see what he can do. people talk about felix jones 6 yard average, norwood does it in the nfl. the biggest knock on norwood is his blocking, with a new rb coach coming in, maybe he can fix that. with a new franchise lineman or QB we would also be able to draft kevin smith,jamaal charles,matt forte,chris johnson, steve slaton, jacob hester.

the best backs we could choose from that group to compliment norwood would be matt forte, or jacob hester. hester could do for us what mike alstott did for the bucs... everytime he would get the ball all the fans would go crazy his team would go crazy, because he played with intensity. honestly, we have one of the best fb's in the nfl, and we hardly used him last year... lets get him in there blocking for norwood and see what our wood can do.

any of those backs i listed above would be great choices, and would fall into the 2nd-3rd-4th rounds. with johnson,smith,charles being selected before the others. i just like forte's and hesters HARD running style, would be a nice change of pace to our speedy break your ankles norwood. i still however would like to see norwood get the majority of the carries.

so, if we draft LONG in the 1st, we need to select a QB with our high second. woodson,flacco,booty,henne,and brennan will fall into and past the second round. ryan and brohm will be selected in the 1st. and sadly to say, i would love to pull a browns move and trade up into the 1st, but ryan wont fall to the 22nd or so pick, like quinn did.

then with our mid second we go after a play maker MLB or TE. i believe john carlson or fred davis will be there for us. i still believe that crumpler can do a ok job, but hes getting old. however, if we choose not to upgrade the TE spot thats fine by me, crumpler still has a good year or 2 left. we could likely get james hardy, boweman, hall, or sweed with our mid 2nd pick, all are good receivers. also, level hawkins had a outstanding senior bowl, so hes a sleeper to watch out for, his stock could continue to rise if he has a good combine.

we have the picks to get what we need to compete next year. our defense will only become stronger next year, and its good to see our defense will become a focal point of this team!! anyways, im a big fan of dan morgan, not sure if anyone else has noticed, but he was released from the panthers the other day, with his history, he wont demand a high contract or even a low contract, and would even sign a contract with incentive laden bonuses.... could you imagine our defense with brooking and morgan(if he stays healthy) and boley. it would be outstanding. as i said above, the only knock on morgan is his injury concerns, but that will also bring his asking price down. could you imagine the damage he would do against the panthers? i hope to see morgan in black and red next year!

-sts