Online Multiplayer

I wanted to play Call of Duty 4 with a buddy of mine the other day in a two-player, co-operative setting (as in, we run around together and complete objectives against the computer like you could do on Ghost Recon). We couldn't seem to do so, however, because we had the audacity to be sitting next to each other on the couch. The only multiplayer we could find in the game was adversarial, but that's lame too because there were just the two of us. Not much fun to do deathmatch with two people.

So we tried to play Motorstorm and race against each other. Same problem.

What the **** is wrong with this? Are the fanboys now so averse to actual human contact that the game companies are not writing multiplayer into the game so that two people can use the same console? Even taking into account that we may just be stupid and couldn't figure it out properly, it is still absurd that you can get online and play with some 14-year-old kid in his parents' basement 2000 miles away with no trouble, but it requires and Act of Congress to play with your friend sitting NEXT TO YOU.

The game companies are spending so much time on their damned multiplayer that the games are suffering. There is no reason that Perfect Dark Zero should have sucked, but since they spent all of their time catering to the run and gun fanboys who just love their HEADSHOTS, they made a great multiplayer and then had to rush the campaign and ruin the game.

I can't believe I have to get angry about this.

Don't get me wrong; the online multiplayer is a great idea. However, it should absolutely be secondary to the game itself. I know that there have to be people like me who are more interested in killing some time with a quick game or playing a mission or two with a buddy than in logging in to the network to run around and take potshots at people we don't know and will likely never meet.

Direwolf

MotorStorm doesn't have offline multi-player or splitscreen online multiplayer.

Most racing games have the former, but not the latter. Many games coming out will have both though.

Resistance 2, for example, will have 8-player online co-op, offline co-op, and up to 60-player online multiplayer. The single player and co-op campaigns will be different.

direwolf (2/12/2008)
I wanted to play Call of Duty 4 with a buddy of mine the other day in a two-player, co-operative setting (as in, we run around together and complete objectives against the computer like you could do on Ghost Recon). We couldn't seem to do so, however, because we had the audacity to be sitting next to each other on the couch. The only multiplayer we could find in the game was adversarial, but that's lame too because there were just the two of us. Not much fun to do deathmatch with two people.

So we tried to play Motorstorm and race against each other. Same problem.

What the **** is wrong with this? Are the fanboys now so averse to actual human contact that the game companies are not writing multiplayer into the game so that two people can use the same console? Even taking into account that we may just be stupid and couldn't figure it out properly, it is still absurd that you can get online and play with some 14-year-old kid in his parents' basement 2000 miles away with no trouble, but it requires and Act of Congress to play with your friend sitting NEXT TO YOU.

The game companies are spending so much time on their damned multiplayer that the games are suffering. There is no reason that Perfect Dark Zero should have sucked, but since they spent all of their time catering to the run and gun fanboys who just love their HEADSHOTS, they made a great multiplayer and then had to rush the campaign and ruin the game.

I can't believe I have to get angry about this.

Don't get me wrong; the online multiplayer is a great idea. However, it should absolutely be secondary to the game itself. I know that there have to be people like me who are more interested in killing some time with a quick game or playing a mission or two with a buddy than in logging in to the network to run around and take potshots at people we don't know and will likely never meet.

Direwolf

I feel your pain. I spent **** near 30 minutes trying to figure out how to do this thinking you have to be able to. Only to come to the conclusion that you can't.

Then I thought well maybe we can just do the multiplayer with some computer players. Nope can't do it. Seriously it's not much fun with only two players trying to kill each other.

However I did play with four people at my house and that was ok

yeah i was amazed when i learned 2 people in the same room can't play MotorStorm. that is a really fun game- the controls are awesome, it looks great- but no splitscreen racing is UNACCEPTABLE.

also, supposedly you can do splitscreen online for Warhawk. actually i know you can because i've played against other people who do it, but i've never been able to figure it out. anybody know how to do this?

XLDenaliReturns (2/13/2008)
yeah i was amazed when i learned 2 people in the same room can't play MotorStorm. that is a really fun game- the controls are awesome, it looks great- but no splitscreen racing is UNACCEPTABLE.

also, supposedly you can do splitscreen online for Warhawk. actually i know you can because i've played against other people who do it, but i've never been able to figure it out. anybody know how to do this?

I've done it with a buddy of mine. You have to be on a server that permits it but I think you just have to press start on the second controller if I recall correctly. For the split screen warhawk online that is...