For all you Josh Johnson doubters!!!

Gimmesomo

Unfortunately, he didn't get an invite to the ESPN QB Challenge this year and he's still under the radar so even with a good combine his draft projection is late 2nd-early 3rd. I earnestly have to say 'no hype' this guy could be the biggest sleeper in this year's draft hands down! Every time i see this guy he has the best combination of potential, pro-ability, and pro-readiness than any other QB in the draft! And nobody will official co-sign on him other than his former coach and NFL great Jim Harbaugh. This is just a lil' something i pulled up off of youtube. JJ is gonna be great at the next level and has the ability to play in almost any system. I really hope one of our division rivals don't get 'em...:unsure:

Gimmesomo (2/12/2008)
I earnestly have to say 'no hype' this guy could be the biggest sleeper in this year's draft hands down! Every time i see this guy he has the best combination of potential, pro-ability, and pro-readiness than any other QB in the draft!

Isn't saying "no hype, this guy could be the biggest sleeper in the draft" an oxymoron?

And to say that a DII player, in particular a QB, is the most pro-ready in the draft is laughable.

Gimmesomo (2/12/2008)
Unfortunately, he didn't get an invite to the ESPN QB Challenge this year and he's still under the radar so even with a good combine his draft projection is late 2nd-early 3rd. I earnestly have to say 'no hype' this guy could be the biggest sleeper in this year's draft hands down! Every time i see this guy he has the best combination of potential, pro-ability, and pro-readiness than any other QB in the draft! And nobody will official co-sign on him other than his former coach and NFL great Jim Harbaugh. This is just a lil' something i pulled up off of youtube. JJ is gonna be great at the next level and has the ability to play in almost any system. I really hope one of our division rivals don't get 'em...:unsure:

YEA, everybody looks good on youtube don't they!!

L.Rover (2/12/2008)
Gimmesomo (2/12/2008)
I earnestly have to say 'no hype' this guy could be the biggest sleeper in this year's draft hands down! Every time i see this guy he has the best combination of potential, pro-ability, and pro-readiness than any other QB in the draft!

Isn't saying "no hype, this guy could be the biggest sleeper in the draft" an oxymoron?

And to say that a DII player, in particular a QB, is the most pro-ready in the draft is laughable.

He's a D-1AA QB. There is a difference. Although with no scholarship athletes San Diego was more like D-1.5AA.

But regardless, it's not about competition that makes the player. Otherwise Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, McNair, Urlacher, and arguably the greatest football player of all-time in Jerry Rice never would have amounted to squat.

It's about what skills do you have that can translate to the next level.

Sure he may not play in the SEC, but playing in a pro style offense and being taught how to read coverage prepares a QB in the long run more than a QB who came from an option offense per say.

That's what makes Josh Johnson so special. Every other dual threat QB we've seen came from an offense that relied heavily on their legs. It essentially stunts the QB's development because they are too tempted to rely on their legs when under durress and more importantly they don't get enough pro style attempts.

Josh Johnson is a guy who took snaps under center. He has been molded so his first, second, and third instinct in the pocket is to pass. He has developed pocket poise and has excellent footwork and mechanics which leads to his uncanny accuracy.

The biggest difference between college and the pros as a QB is the window of opportunity you have to throw the football. But Josh Johnson puts the balls in windows where only his WR could get the ball, regardless of the level of football he's playing.

Steal of the draft is an understatement if this kid lives up to his potential.

busboyisback (2/12/2008)
Matthew Pritts (2/12/2008)
*yawn*

"No" to Josh Johnson

Way to back up your stance with such detailed analysis.

Sorry man, I don't get all the hype. That's all we need. A 6'2", 195 LBs QB who will get killed by NFL LB's.My thighs are thicker then this guy's legs. Also, this guy is a quick-riser and a OYW, gotta be leary of those types.

"No" to Johnson.

"Yes" to Henne.

busboyisback (2/12/2008)
L.Rover (2/12/2008)
Gimmesomo (2/12/2008)

He's a D-1AA QB. There is a difference. Although with no scholarship athletes San Diego was more like D-1.5AA.

But regardless, it's not about competition that makes the player. Otherwise Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, McNair, Urlacher, and arguably the greatest football player of all-time in Jerry Rice never would have amounted to squat.

It's about what skills do you have that can translate to the next level.

Sure he may not play in the SEC, but playing in a pro style offense and being taught how to read coverage prepares a QB in the long run more than a QB who came from an option offense per say.

That's what makes Josh Johnson so special. Every other dual threat QB we've seen came from an offense that relied heavily on their legs. It essentially stunts the QB's development because they are too tempted to rely on their legs when under durress and more importantly they don't get enough pro style attempts.

Josh Johnson is a guy who took snaps under center. He has been molded so his first, second, and third instinct in the pocket is to pass. He has developed pocket poise and has excellent footwork and mechanics which leads to his uncanny accuracy.

The biggest difference between college and the pros as a QB is the window of opportunity you have to throw the football. But Josh Johnson puts the balls in windows where only his WR could get the ball, regardless of the level of football he's playing.

Steal of the draft is an understatement if this kid lives up to his potential.

I stand corrected about DII vs. DIAA, but that is it. You sum the kid up perfectly: "if this kid lives up to his potential". He is all about potential, and I will not deny, he is a great athlete, but I don't care what kind of system he ran, can he run at the speed of the NFL game?

the point you make about San Diego's pro style offense vs. a spread-option in a bigger conference is debatable, but I think it is atleast valid. But your argument comparing him to other DIAA players is not. I will say the same thing about Josh Johnson as I have about Colt brennan: he may end up being great, he has the tools. But it will take A LOT of time. I stand by what I said, to say that Josh Johnson is the most pro-ready QB is laughable. He is barely ahead of Colt Brennan in that category.

And I will give one more reason why I think we won't draft JJ: he won't go until the 4th-5th round. I don't think we can afford to wait that long. What if we wait until the 5th, and he is taken in the late 4th? Then what? If we don't come out of the 2nd round with a QB, we better have a plan other than "cross you fingers for Josh Johnson".

L.Rover (2/12/2008)

I stand corrected about DII vs. DIAA, but that is it. You sum the kid up perfectly: "if this kid lives up to his potential". He is all about potential, and I will not deny, he is a great athlete, but I don't care what kind of system he ran, can he run at the speed of the NFL game?

the point you make about San Diego's pro style offense vs. a spread-option in a bigger conference is debatable, but I think it is atleast valid. But your argument comparing him to other DIAA players is not. I will say the same thing about Josh Johnson as I have about Colt brennan: he may end up being great, he has the tools. But it will take A LOT of time. I stand by what I said, to say that Josh Johnson is the most pro-ready QB is laughable. He is barely ahead of Colt Brennan in that category.

And I will give one more reason why I think we won't draft JJ: he won't go until the 4th-5th round. I don't think we can afford to wait that long. What if we wait until the 5th, and he is taken in the late 4th? Then what? If we don't come out of the 2nd round with a QB, we better have a plan other than "cross you fingers for Josh Johnson".

But I think you are missing one key point. Because of Johnson's preparation he is MORE LIKELY to live up to his potential compared to other dual threat QBs. Im not saying that he has more physical abilities than a Vince Young per say. Of course not. But while Vince Young was learning to read the DE to decide whether or not to tuck it in run, JJ was being taught how to read secondaries.

Instead of snaps in the shotgun, he was taking them under center.

Instead of being told to take advantage of his God given ability with his legs, he developed pocket poise with emphasis on his mechanics which is why he has such poise and accuracy from the pocket.

Playing against better athletes at the D-1 level doesn't prepare VY more for the NFL if he's not taking NFL quality snaps. That's why Vince Young was a WIDE RECEIVER prospect until his final year at UT. He didn't even have more TDs than INTs in his career after his sophmore year. His growth as a QB just like every dual threat QB in major football was stunted because of the offense.

The coach wasn't concerned about molding him into an NFL QB, they were concerned about winning ball games. And you can get through High School as well as College football by being an athlete playing the QB position.

Josh Johnson is in a unique situation. I can't stress that enough. He was molded by a coach to play at the NEXT LEVEL. The competition argument is a huge misconception because everyone is missing the point of the QUALITY of snaps vs Quality of Competition.

Josh Johnson vs. Colt Brennan isn't even close. Colt Brennan had his chance on a global stage, and I'm not even talking about the Sugar Bowl; we can forget about that due to his inept line. He had his chance at the Senior Bowl, where he sucked. Josh Johnson lit it up at the East-West Shrine Game, though, and that leads me to believe that he's much better than Brennan. He didn't play in a gimmicky system like Brennan did. I don't care if he was in the FCS, the WAC, or DII. It seems to me that Joe Flacco was in the FCS as well, but people are in love with him. How can you say that Josh Johnson is going to suck in the NFL because of being in the FCS and then turn around and say that Joe Flacco is the next Ben Roethlisberger?

Sorry man, I don't get all the hype. That's all we need. A 6'2", 195 LBs QB who will get killed by NFL LB's.My thighs are thicker then this guy's legs. Also, this guy is a quick-riser and a OYW, gotta be leary of those types.

"No" to Johnson.

"Yes" to Henne.

Once again:

Drew Brees

Height: 6-0

Weight: 209 lbs.

Jeff Garcia

Height: 6'1

Weight: 205

JP Losman

Height: 6'2

Weight: 212

Jake Plummer

Marc Bulger

Height: 6'3

tombrady2_8.jpg

You don't have to weigh 220 or 230 pounds coming into the league. And if having weight had anything to do with being durable, Byron Leftwich wouldn't seem as if he's made out of glass.

As far as "late riser". Scouts have been following JJ for a couple years. Yeah I only jumped aboard the bandwagon 6-7 months ago. But when he was dominating at the D-1AA the last three years, the scouts took notice. It didn't take an exhibition game for him to get recognition.

That game just reconfirmed the belief they had that it wasn't the competition but it was his physical and mental abilities.

Harbaugh took him under his wing and prepared this kid for the next level. Im sure he's told his brother in Baltimore that he's the real deal.

His new coach has stated that he's as good as any QB he's ever been around and the list of QBs he's been around include Andre Woodson and a guy by the name of Troy Aikman.

He is far from overhyped. He is unheralded considering his numbers and physical abilities.

I've been a football fan since I was 10 years old. I'm 51 now, and after 41 seasons, I can honestly say that I know a lot more about good hair styles than Donald Trump.

I'd heard and read the hype over Johnson on these boards, so when he played in the East West Shrine Game, I watched to see him, and of course, other prospects the Falcons may have been looking at. Johnson dominated that game. His running skills were amazing, reminding me of YKW, but that was the least tantalizing thing about his game as a quarterback. Every throw was on the money, delivered like I guess it was Bus Boy that said, "where only his receiver could catch it." If YKW had Johnson's "touch" on the ball, we'd have won the Super Bowl a couple of times in a row.

I don't know if we'll draft him. I don't know if he'll win the Offensive Rookie of the Year. I don't have any idea if he'll ever live up to his potential. I trust our scouts to have a lot better answers to those questions than I do. But I hope we're looking at him, because if that East West game, against soon-to-be-in-the-NFL talent, is any indication, this kid has got a very bright future in the NFL.

Josh Johnson killed it in a pro style offense at a school nobody knows about. Joe Flacco was just 'above average' in a shotgun offense on a loaded Div I-AA team that contended for the title. Not only are Johnson's stats far far far more impressive than Flacco's, but he did it in an offensive system that isn't designed to put up such gaudy Madden-esque numbers.

Josh Johnson > Joe Flacco

And it's not even close. Joe Flacco mania is almost as funny to me as Matt Ryan mania. Flacco couldn't even beat out Tyler Palko, so instead of trying harder he went to a school where he could walk into a starting role.

the flacco and johnson debate is terrible.

both qb's have the success rate of about 2% to succeed. the total success of a 1st round QB is about 15% in the NFL, there are more busts in the 1st round than the 2nd 3rd or 4th. but neither of those guys mentioned above are going to turn into the next "mike vick" or the nex "big ben". brohm, ryan, woodson, henne, brennan all have a chance to become good, even those 2 listed at the top do as well, but their success rate is much smaller due to the schools they played at. the five i listed above are good prospects with the biggest boom or busts being woodson and brennan. if we draft flacco or johnson and hang our franchise hopes on it, we will be in trouble.

Good points Pooler and Carter. I watched the Senior Bowl and was also very impressed with Josh Johnson.

The only problem I have with him is the fact that Gimmesomo likes him so much. That is the curse of death for players.

Here is a list of guys that Gimmesomo LOVED:

Lamont Hansbrough CB Arkansas St

James Freemont RB Carson Newman

Willie Jo Caulder WR Presbyterian

David Williams DT Grand Valley St

Craig Clement QB Valdosta St

Chris Boden QB North Dakota

Lance Laskey TE Florida A&M

Marty Howell OL Bethune Cookman

Scott Steffan LB UCF

Now, all these guys have two things in common. Number one, Gimmesome claimed that they were going to be superstars in the NFL and that we had to draft them. And TWO, no one has ever heard of them. None of them ever made it past being on the Practice Squad with their respective teams and then just disappeared from football altogether.

Gimmesome's eye for talent is one of THE worst and if one person can curse a football player into becoming talentless, then its Gimmesomo.

I really like Josh Johnsons ability and character but I think he has WAY too much going against him with Gimmesomo on his bandwagon.

We need to help stop this horrible affliction that is occurring to these young men that are in the prime of their lives.

Please Gimmesomo, stop scouting these young men and placing them in harms way. They deserve better than this and it just must stop.

You alone can stop this travesty. I beg you, STOP!!! For the good of the world and these young football players.

goosedaddy70 (2/12/2008)
If it were ANYONE besides you, Gimmesomo, who was tauting this guy as the next big thing then I may actually drink some of the kool aid. But you know about as much about football talent as Donald Trump does about good hair styles.

THAT KIND OF SPEAKS FOR ITSELF......:)

busboyisback (2/12/2008)

"No" to Johnson.

"Yes" to Henne.

Once again:

Drew Brees

Height: 6-0

Weight: 209 lbs.

Jeff Garcia

Height: 6'1

Weight: 205

JP Losman

Jake Plummer

Marc Bulger

Height: 6'3

tombrady2_8.jpg

You don't have to weigh 220 or 230 pounds coming into the league. And if having weight had anything to do with being durable, Byron Leftwich wouldn't seem as if he's made out of glass.

As far as "late riser". Scouts have been following JJ for a couple years. Yeah I only jumped aboard the bandwagon 6-7 months ago. But when he was dominating at the D-1AA the last three years, the scouts took notice. It didn't take an exhibition game for him to get recognition.

That game just reconfirmed the belief they had that it wasn't the competition but it was his physical and mental abilities.

Harbaugh took him under his wing and prepared this kid for the next level. Im sure he's told his brother in Baltimore that he's the real deal.

His new coach has stated that he's as good as any QB he's ever been around and the list of QBs he's been around include Andre Woodson and a guy by the name of Troy Aikman.

He is far from overhyped. He is unheralded considering his numbers and physical abilities.

Sorry amn, that's nice and all, but I'm still not buying.