Super Delegates

Joremarid

Can you guys explain how this works. Basically I heard on the radio that if the Democratic race was undecided going into the convention then it could be decided by the super delegate vote.

Has this ever happened where the race was decided not by the voters but by the democratic elites? (just curious what the precedent is here for a situation like this)

Is it true that even if one candidate has a slight lead over the other, the super delegates could go against that and go for the guy (or in this case, woman) that they want?

Isn't it strange that the "party for the people" could be decided by the democratic elites?

joremari (2/12/2008)
Can you guys explain how this works. Basically I heard on the radio that if the Democratic race was undecided going into the convention then it could be decided by the super delegate vote.

Has this ever happened where the race was decided not by the voters but by the democratic elites? (just curious what the precedent is here for a situation like this)

Is it true that even if one candidate has a slight lead over the other, the super delegates could go against that and go for the guy (or in this case, woman) that they want?

Isn't it strange that the "party for the people" could be decided by the democratic elites?

Yea, its quite ironic because its not democratic at all.

Basically, if no one reaches the magic number of delegates (2,025), then the nomination is up to the super delegates.

That's right, one can win the most delegates, the most states, the popular vote, and still not get the nomination.

As it stands now, it looks like this contest WILL be decided by the super delegates.:crazy:

joremari (2/12/2008)
so which candidate do you think they are more likely to support?

Well, Hillary has the majority of the SD's on her side; however, many are already wavering.

If Obama acquires more delegates than Hillary, its highly unlikely that the SDs will go against the public's wishes. Especially, since Obama polls much higher against McCain than Hillary.

Anyhow, if Obama can take OH, TX, or PA, this thing MIGHT be over before the DNC.

"so which candidate do you think they are more likely to support?"

I suspect most superdelegates will vote for whichever candidate wins the most delegates/votes/states, or whichever candidate won their home state.

If the party rank-and-file are divided over the nominee, then why shouldn't the party leaders have the final say about who will represent their party in the general election?

None of this matters....

Y'all realize THE CLINTONS are running for the nomination, don't you?

My point: THERE IS NO WAY IN **** THAT BARRY OBAMA IS THE DEMOCRAT NOMINEE IN 2008. They will not allow it. They will bend and break every law, destroy every person or group, who stands in their way. They don't give a goddam how many states or delegates Barry wins.

Hello.......?

IT'S THE CLINTONS!

This is just another scheme to allow those in charge to control the outcome of an election if they don't like it. Think about it 1/5 or 20% could decide most elections. I know some believe our founding fathers basically got our constitution directly from God. I was watching a PBS program on Andrew Jackson and found it pretty enlighting before he got it changed our system of voting resembled the British system where you voted for the party and they decided who would be your president. It got changed during his tenure to allow us to vote for an electoral college. I just love how all thru our history the electorate needed to be controlled they could not be trusted to get it right. Why do they continue to wonder why so few vote in America when do they really want the masses to vote and lose control of who gets elected as was intended by our founding fathers. Our founding fathers were mainly an American aristocracy who wanted to keep it that way.

It's a dynasty. Hillary will win no matter what.

It's not about democrats or republicans. It's about $$$.

Iraq is about funneling $$$ to defense and oil companies

Universal Health Care is about funneling $$$ to pharmaceutical and insurance companies.

Both sides are nothing but crooks with plans to take more your hard-earned money and give it to giant corporations so they can in turn get more lobbying gifts and campaign contributions and revolving-door jobs and consulting gigs.

octoslash (2/12/2008)
None of this matters....

Y'all realize THE CLINTONS are running for the nomination, don't you?

My point: THERE IS NO WAY IN **** THAT BARRY OBAMA IS THE DEMOCRAT NOMINEE IN 2008. They will not allow it. They will bend and break every law, destroy every person or group, who stands in their way. They don't give a goddam how many states or delegates Barry wins.

Hello.......?

IT'S THE CLINTONS!

I disagree.

With Obama's momentum, he very well could surpass the 2,025 delegates needed to clinch the nomination BEFORE the convention.

Even IF in goes to SDs, Obama will have won more states, and in all likelihood, more delegates. It would be highly unlikely that the SDs, the majority of whom are publicly elected officials, would go against the public's wishes.

Furthermore, when every poll shows Obama would beat McCain, while Hillary is pretty much even, WHY would party leaders go against the public and risk the Presidency over the weaker candidate?

Steve_Bartkowski (2/12/2008)
Another point...If it comes down to super delegates both Obama and Clinton are going to be selling their souls for 400 super delegate votes. In other words, they are going to be promising super delegates all kinds of things with our tax money for their votes. How exciting!

Exactly. In fact, the lobbying has already begun.

Its a pretty disgusting system because its sole purpose is to protect the establishment candidate and eliminate the possibility of an "outsider" grabbing the nomination.

Verrrrrrrrrry Democratic. :crazy: