Panthers cut Morgan and Wahle

jpepp4prez

ki45toryu (2/12/2008)
Well thats one less thing to make fun of Carolina for....good old Morgan was always good for a laugh or three.

Beason has proven he can replace Morgan and be a more reliable player.

As a Buc fan I'd much rather see Morgan in there (or on the sideline as the case may be).

It bothered me when his agent let on that he's looking at other teams. Thank god the Bucs are fairly settled at LB at the moment. We don't need any more injured players.

The Falcons may want to look at him though, even on the sideline he's gotta be better than Keith "I Love To Jump on Piles and get Credit for Tackles" Brooking.

jpepp4prez (2/12/2008)
That's what I would hope for, it's hard to address lineman in the draft and expect an instant return. I'd like a veteran on the line and we can address LB and DL in the draft.

Sam Baker or Clady could and will start from day one at left tackle. Both are pretty good pass blockers with the mobility to work in our offense, so we could plug them in. We could even trade back a little to pick up Sam Baker from the way things look. And I'm assuming that Wharton moves to guard to fill in for Wahle, because I see absolutely no reason to pay him to be our left tackle again.

Yeah, we got about seven million out of those two cuts alone. Next come Carr and Foster.

And I don't think we really can draft for the defensive line this year unless we move Jenkins. Peppers is, well, Peppers, and we're three deep on the interior of our line, so the only real position to draft for would be right end, but we've got two young players there already. Unless we draft a guy in the first round, I don't see it happening. To tell you the truth, a second round offensive player wouldn't surprise me at all.

WhenFalconsWin (2/16/2008)
jungleking (2/14/2008)
jpepp4prez (2/12/2008)
That's what I would hope for, it's hard to address lineman in the draft and expect an instant return. I'd like a veteran on the line and we can address LB and DL in the draft.

Sam Baker or Clady could and will start from day one at left tackle. Both are pretty good pass blockers with the mobility to work in our offense, so we could plug them in. We could even trade back a little to pick up Sam Baker from the way things look. And I'm assuming that Wharton moves to guard to fill in for Wahle, because I see absolutely no reason to pay him to be our left tackle again.

Yeah, we got about seven million out of those two cuts alone. Next come Carr and Foster.

And I don't think we really can draft for the defensive line this year unless we move Jenkins. Peppers is, well, Peppers, and we're three deep on the interior of our line, so the only real position to draft for would be right end, but we've got two young players there already. Unless we draft a guy in the first round, I don't see it happening. To tell you the truth, a second round offensive player wouldn't surprise me at all.

I agree with you on that. Offense should come into play at least in the 2nd for you guys because they have been so anemic the last several years. I still regard your run games as smoke and mirrors and I believe the Panthers have a nice run game occasionally and they falsely have a sense that the run game is fixed when its not. The last time your offense has really gelled was when you had the power attack with Stephen Davis...then through in foster with some speed and that opened it up for Smith who has struggled the last season or two without that power game.

It's looking more and more like the DeAngelo Williams era is coming about this year, we're shopping Foster for a trade and there is little question as to whether or not we will release him if we need to. But then we would need a big back, so we might either pick one up in free agency or go for Schmitt in the draft. Maybe Forte. But a big back to share the load should be a big priority. I would actually love the idea of trading back with Dallas because we would be able to get a lineman there, and maybe have a shot at Stewart or Mendenhall.

If I were picking for the Panthers, I would be thinking about a quarterback in the first if Brohm falls, relying on Delhomme's probably not a great idea. Their draft should be focused on offense, but not just offensive line. A dangerous receiver that can take pressure off of Smith would be ideal, maybe even worth a first round pick. The offense as a whole is very stale and simply needs some fresh blood. As for their defense, it's not as good as it used to be, but its hard to say what exactly they have in a few players, and it may be best to let the defense be (after putting the necessary parts into the front seven), at least for this season, and concentrate on getting offensive talent.

WhenFalconsWin (2/17/2008)
A QB had to in their futeure plans as well because I do not think he is on the Panthers roster right now. Delhommey is serviceable until they can find one but his health is always going to be a question and he is no longer the answer for them.

Serviceable? 8 touchdowns to 1 interceptions is serviceable? Maybe your judgment has been clouded a little, what with you not knowing what a good quarterback looks like anymore, but that's a little better than serviceable. And let me tell you something you'll hear all offseason: Delhomme has had that injury for years. Now he's free of it, so he'll be the best he's ever been.

Also, Matt Moore may not be widely known, but he stepped it up when he came in against three playoff teams at the end of the year. He's nothing special yet, but that's what you get with an undrafted rookie that gets picked up in the middle of year. A lot more time in the system can only help him blossom into a good quarterback. He's clearly got all the intangibles.

And Res, I'm with you on the focus of the offseason. The only defensive position we look at should be safety, because no one trusts or likes Deke Cooper. Kemo actually had a pretty good campaign last season, and if Jenkins stops being a malcontent we should be good, at least for this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a defensive tackle if we get the chance at a good one, but it's not a big priority. As of now the huge needs are running back, left tackle and probably wide receiver. Unfortunately, we won't know about the wide receiver position until the season is already started because Dwayne Jarrett needs to learn the system. It's not a physical thing holding him back, so it's hard to evaluate. We have to trust the coaches on that one, which, quite frankly, scares me. But LT, FS and RB are the big needs, with LT being the glaring one.

jungleking (2/17/2008)
A QB had to in their futeure plans as well because I do not think he is on the Panthers roster right now. Delhommey is serviceable until they can find one but his health is always going to be a question and he is no longer the answer for them.

Serviceable? 8 touchdowns to 1 interceptions is serviceable? Maybe your judgment has been clouded a little, what with you not knowing what a good quarterback looks like anymore, but that's a little better than serviceable. And let me tell you something you'll hear all offseason: Delhomme has had that injury for years. Now he's free of it, so he'll be the best he's ever been.

Also, Matt Moore may not be widely known, but he stepped it up when he came in against three playoff teams at the end of the year. He's nothing special yet, but that's what you get with an undrafted rookie that gets picked up in the middle of year. A lot more time in the system can only help him blossom into a good quarterback. He's clearly got all the intangibles.

And Res, I'm with you on the focus of the offseason. The only defensive position we look at should be safety, because no one trusts or likes Deke Cooper. Kemo actually had a pretty good campaign last season, and if Jenkins stops being a malcontent we should be good, at least for this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a defensive tackle if we get the chance at a good one, but it's not a big priority. As of now the huge needs are running back, left tackle and probably wide receiver. Unfortunately, we won't know about the wide receiver position until the season is already started because Dwayne Jarrett needs to learn the system. It's not a physical thing holding him back, so it's hard to evaluate. We have to trust the coaches on that one, which, quite frankly, scares me. But LT, FS and RB are the big needs, with LT being the glaring one.

I wish I predicted my team's performance as well as I usually do the Panthers.:crying:

WhenFalconsWin (2/19/2008)
Richard Nixon (2/18/2008)
jungleking (2/17/2008)

I wish I predicted my team's performance as well as I usually do the Panthers.:crying:

It's been pretty easy to predict John Fox teams!

I feel the same way about Bobby Petrino