Terrelle Pryor is the Past and the future looks bright...............

Demetrius Dew

Russell Shepard is the future, Bring him home Rich Rod (AKA the Closer)

Shepard gets offer, won t commit yet

By Alan Trubow | Sunday, February 10, 2008, 07:41 PM

Cypress Ridge quarterback Russell Shepard, the No. 3 recruit in the state for 2009 and a five-star athlete, said he did get an offer from the Longhorns on Sunday. But the 6-foot-2 athlete who runs a legitimate 4.4 second 40-yard dash didn t commit.

The Longhorns already have a quarterback commit in five-star signal caller Garrett Gilbert, who led Lake Travis to the Class 4A Division I state championship. Gilbert s commit changed things for Shepard

Coach (Mack) Brown said Russell, We really love you and we want to go to school here, but it s a weird situation with all the quarterbacks, Shepard said. He let me know it s kind of weird bringing in two highly rated quarterbacks.

Shepard told Brown that all he wanted was a chance compete for the job. Nothing more.

I said that really all I wanted was a shot, he said. Honestly, if I get a shot at quarterback and I don t win the job, I ll move to another position. I have no problem being an All-American wide receiver or an All-American defensive back. I just want a chance to play quarterback.

Shepard said the situation at Texas opens up his recruitment for other suitors.

I would say Texas is still up there, but Michigan is really at the top of my list, especially if they don t get (2008 top recruit) Terrelle Pryor, he said. I feel like I could go there and play right away. I m also looking at Florida and LSU. Both of those schools have pretty good depth-chart situations for me.

Shepard added that the Longhorns weren t out of the race and he might be returning to Austin for the Feb. 23 Junior Days. Shepard added that he was in the same situation as John Chiles, and the Longhorns are allowing Chiles to play quarterback.

Actually, I m different than John because I m willing to play another position, he said. All I want is a shot, a real shot.

The Youtube highlights.

Demetrius Dew (2/12/2008)
SacFalcFan (2/12/2008)
So if Pryor goes to OSU then that rules out OSU for shepherd.

Yep, but I think he (TP) goes to Penn State because his dad wants him to.

I still don't understand how Joe Pa recruits, when a kid ask him coach how much longer are you going to coach? What the **** does he say. He is in his 70.

Agreed regarding Paterno. At least FSU can say "bobby bowden is leaving, but we already have a replacement ready in fisher", that can't do that at PSU.

The typical high school quarterback would jump for joy if his coach moved him to quarterback after his freshman year, but for Russell Shepard, that was a move made with a certain amount of uncertainty. Even though the 6-2.5, 195-pounder with 4.4 speed knew he was a playmaker, he thought maybe there was a better place for him on the field.

I wasn t sure about moving to quarterback back then, said Shepard, who is one of the hottest prospects in Texas at Cypress Ridge High School in Houston. My freshman year was when Vince Young did what he did in the Rose Bowl. Even after that I was still unsure, but I just want to make plays. The thing that sold me was that every play the quarterback touches the football. People call me a ball hog because I always want the ball in my hands.

Shepard s successful freshman year, when he made plays all over the field, prompted the move to quarterback. The thought of a quarterback that could put so much pressure on the defense was just too good for his coach to pass up so the move was made.

I used to be the athlete who just got the ball in his hands, Shepard said. My coach has the philosophy that the better athlete needs to play quarterback, so I started as a sophomore. I ended up really liking it so I put in a lot of effort and now I m to the point where I m getting offers from tons of people.

Shepard s junior year was the one that put him on the map. He threw for 794 yards, with eight touchdowns and four interceptions. He also rushed for 1,525 yards and 18 touchdowns. Not only did his game mature during his junior year, do did his body and he s still on a growth spurt.

I played at close to 200 pounds in the fall, Shepard said. When I come out of high school after graduating early, I want to get on campus between 205-210 pounds.

Shepard spends his spring semester running track for the Cypress Ridge team. He runs the 100 and 200 meters and participates in the long jump.

He s outstanding on the track, but it is football that has earned 23 scholarship offers including one from the Florida Gators, who are one of his five final choices.

I ve got it narrowed down to five schools, Shepard said. It s Florida, Texas, Michigan, Oklahoma and LSU.

FLORIDA: I ve built a relationship with Coach (Dan) Mullen and Urban Meyer. I ve got Coach Meyer s number in my phone and I give him a call when I have a question about anything like the quarterback position or my grades. Of all the coaching staffs in the country, Florida is the only one where I talk to every coach on the staff. I talk with Coach Meyer, Coach Mullen and the receiver coach (Billy) Gonzales and have real relationships with them all. They come here a lot to talk with my coaches and see how things are going with them. They ve offered me as a quarterback and want me to play quarterback for them.

TEXAS: I grew up rooting for them. They ve shown with Vince Young they use athletic quarterbacks. Everyone around me grew up rooting for them too.

MICHIGAN: They re looking and begging for some quarterbacks. They re praying they get Terrelle Pryor right now. If they don t get Terrelle, they re going to need to put a skill player at quarterback that probably doesn t have experience playing there. If he doesn t go there, that s a chance for me to go in and make an immediate impact. Coach (Rich) Rodriguez and I have a good relationship already and they want quarterbacks bad.

OKLAHOMA: I love the school. For a young quarterback looking to play, they re depth chart is good. After Bradford leaves, it s wide open. Coach (Bob) Stoops told me they re trying to switch it up to a more athletic quarterback after what Pat White did to them in the bowl game. The only thing is, Texas boys don t grow up liking Oklahoma.

LSU: They re sort of like Oklahoma to me. Once Ryan Perrilloux leaves, they ve only got Jarrett Lee. They just got done winning a championship and love to athletic quarterbacks.

The Gators return Heisman quarterback Tim Tebow, as well as two highly ranked quarterbacks in John Brantley and Cam Newton.

The depth chart was the only concern I had with the Gators, Shepard said. I think it s possible that one quarterback could leave. When I come in, there s a chance that they would have only three quarterbacks on the roster.

The recent commitment by Austin, Texas quarterback Garrett Gilbert to the Longhorns started rumors that Shepard s interest was cooling on his instate team.

I m not scared of any competition in the world, Shepard said. No matter where you go you ll have to compete. Honestly there s more competition at Florida than there would be at Texas.

The Florida offensive coaching staff has been all over Shepard in the early part of his recruitment. This has already given him an outstanding relationship with the Florida coaches.

What Coach Mullen and Coach Meyer did with Alex Smith and Tim Tebow in their offense is remarkable, Shepard said. They play to the quarterback s strengths. When they had Chris Leak, he didn t do much running, but they used a lot of short routes to get the ball out of his hands where he excelled. Now with Tebow they can do it all. I just love what those guys do overall on offense.

Shepard is already beginning the preparation for what he expects to be a huge senior season. He has already pinpointed a few things to work on in the coming offseason.

The knowledge of the quarterback position needs to improve for me, Shepard said. When you see guys who have played the position since they were in little leages, they all walk and talk like quarterbacks. I ve always felt like the quarterback no matter what position I play. I want to lead no matter where. I also want to improve my accuracy. I ve talked to every coach in the country and the number one thing they all look for is an accurate passer. Plus you can never be too accurate.

Demetrius Dew (2/13/2008)
Aaron Murray is a name you should be familiar with jgator.

He is in UF's backyard, but Rich Rod is really likes this kid. Florida (The State of) look out because here we come.

More of a pro style QB that is really really mobile IMO. If you watch his highlights he really moves around in the pocket really well.

Oh I familiar. Ive seen him in person twice. Kid is awesome talent and he is another top priority. I have it on pretty good authority that this one could be over by the end of the summer.

Jgator2113 (2/13/2008)

FLORIDA: I ve built a relationship with Coach (Dan) Mullen and Urban Meyer. I ve got Coach Meyer s number in my phone and I give him a call when I have a question about anything like the quarterback position or my grades. Of all the coaching staffs in the country, Florida is the only one where I talk to every coach on the staff. I talk with Coach Meyer, Coach Mullen and the receiver coach (Billy) Gonzales and have real relationships with them all. They come here a lot to talk with my coaches and see how things are going with them. They ve offered me as a quarterback and want me to play quarterback for them.

TEXAS: I grew up rooting for them. They ve shown with Vince Young they use athletic quarterbacks. Everyone around me grew up rooting for them too.

MICHIGAN: They re looking and begging for some quarterbacks. They re praying they get Terrelle Pryor right now. If they don t get Terrelle, they re going to need to put a skill player at quarterback that probably doesn t have experience playing there. If he doesn t go there, that s a chance for me to go in and make an immediate impact. Coach (Rich) Rodriguez and I have a good relationship already and they want quarterbacks bad.

OKLAHOMA: I love the school. For a young quarterback looking to play, they re depth chart is good. After Bradford leaves, it s wide open. Coach (Bob) Stoops told me they re trying to switch it up to a more athletic quarterback after what Pat White did to them in the bowl game. The only thing is, Texas boys don t grow up liking Oklahoma.

LSU: They re sort of like Oklahoma to me. Once Ryan Perrilloux leaves, they ve only got Jarrett Lee. They just got done winning a championship and love to athletic quarterbacks.

Well Bama is out of the picture :P

I believe we did offer him though.

Oh I familiar. Ive seen him in person twice. Kid is awesome talent and he is another top priority. I have it on pretty good authority that this one could be over by the end of the summer.

Which one do you want more? Although Meyer could have both.

Aaron Murray

Russell Shepard

I think I like Murray more because he is mobile and also has a cannon.

Where Shepard is just an amazing Athlete that decide to play QB two years ago.

Jgator2113 (2/13/2008)

He is in UF's backyard, but Rich Rod is really likes this kid. Florida (The State of) look out because here we come.

More of a pro style QB that is really really mobile IMO. If you watch his highlights he really moves around in the pocket really well.

Do you think Winter could help AU land him?

Which one do you want more? Although Meyer could have both.

Aaron Murray

Russell Shepard

I think I like Murray more because he is mobile and also has a cannon.

Where Shepard is just an amazing Athlete that decide to play QB two years ago.

I think hes going to try and sell Sheppard on the fact that he could come in his first year and play in Percy Harvin's role and possibly be a QB down the road. Not sure. I know that Murray loves UF and will most likely be a Gator sooner than later.

millejb (2/13/2008)
Jgator2113 (2/13/2008)

Do you think Winter could help AU land him?

Not really. I dont think he has any intrest in Auburn.

SacFalcFan (2/13/2008)
Statick (2/13/2008)
Has Pryor even signed with anyone yet? What's he waiting on?

Jeez.

Oh the next press conference.. you know he has to have the limelight.. it's not like he has had two years to make this decision ya know.

The reactions I've seen to this kid are so polarized. People either think he's selfish and just wants attention or that he should take as much time as he wants to make the right decision.

You know he tried to cancel that press conference where he said he hadn't decided yet? The media people and his HS head coach told him not to because it would still be good for him to come out on tv. It was scheduled a while back and the word is that he was signing with OSU, but his dad convinced him to put it off because he really really wants him to go back to Penn State.

His dad also said that he'd take as many trips as the schools would pay for.

I think he should go to Oregon... but he probably won't. He wants to go to OSU and everyone he knows wants him to stay close.

I think Pryor is really torn because he wants to go to OSU very badly where hes already made alot of friends but he knows that Michigan, Oregon, and even PSU give him the opportunity to play right away and really showcase himself. Hes torn between a personal choice and a buisness choice.

Bloodhoundz Reborn (2/14/2008)

No he has not signed yet, he still wants to take official visits to Penn State and to Oregon(Nike Kingdom). Most likely within the next 2 weeks he will sign.

I thought he said he wouldn't be going to Oregon?

yeah it's down to michigan, osu, and penn state right now.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/recruiting/...-06-pryor_N.htmhttp://www.usatoday.com/sports/recruiting/...-06-pryor_N.htm

Pryor delays decision; Oregon, Penn State back in mix

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

JEANNETTE, Pa. After delaying his decision and expanding his last three choices to a final four, coveted quarterback Terrelle Pryor has until April 1 under the rules of the national letter of intent program to pick where he'll play college football.

He expects his suitors (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State of the Big Ten and now Oregon again) will be patient.

"I've been talking to the coaches a lot, and they all say they have an open spot and they'll wait as long as possible," Pryor said Wednesday during a nationally televised news conference in the Jeannette High gym where he also is a major basketball talent at 6-5½, 225 pounds.

Pryor is rated the No. 1 senior prospect in the nation by Rivals.com and Scout.com. He was USA TODAY's national offensive player of the year after leading Jeannette to a 16-0 season and the Class AA state title, running for 33 touchdowns and throwing for 23.

Beyond his skills, he is the product of a media age far different from when great quarterbacks such as Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly got their high school starts in western Pennsylvania.

ESPNU and CSTV had live telecasts of his noon ET news conference.

But Pryor said that although he had his "mind set a little bit" the day before, that changed after a Tuesday night chat with his dad, Craig Terrelle Pryor of West Newton, Pa.

"Me and my dad had a little battle of differences," Pryor said. "He had a different mind, and I had a different mind, and he just made me think. He just wants me to go over it and think twice. And that's what I'm doing."

Penn State and Oregon were the beneficiaries of that reconsideration.

Pryor has made official recruiting visits to Michigan and Ohio State. Now, he says he'll make official visits to Oregon and Penn State. He said he's visited Happy Valley twice unofficially.

Penn State has made an impression on Pryor's father, who uses a wheelchair because of a muscular disorder.

"They visited my dad's house so many times it's unbelievable," Pryor said. "(Penn State assistant) Tom Bradley knows the town probably the same as my dad. My dad is, like, in love with him."

Pryor also has met with Penn State coach Joe Paterno and the other head coaches, including new Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez, formerly of West Virginia.

West Virginia, with a spread offense that suits him, was on Pryor's list until Rodriguez left the Mountaineers. Pryor says controversy over "Coach Rod's" move won't influence him.

"He had to do what he had to do," Pryor said. "That's Michigan & a big-time college, a big-time place, and it's on top."

Pryor said he didn't have enough time to make a decision because of the extended football season and his quick jump to basketball.

"I'd like to just take some time and be fair to all the coaches that are recruiting me," he said.

That includes Oregon's Mike Bellotti, who also runs the spread. "They're definitely in the picture," Pryor said. "I'll be taking a flight out to Oregon to check it out."

In addition to Jeannette football coach Ray Reitz, Pryor is being advised by Pittsburgh Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch. Both said Pryor made the right choice in waiting because his schedule had been so hectic.

"He shouldn't have to feel pressure at the end of the day from you all," Batch told the media. "This is a decision that he's going to have live by for the next four years."

Said Reitz, "If he makes the wrong decision, he's going to be very miserable."

Batch said they'll sort out Pryor's schedule to see when he can visit Oregon and Penn State. Though Pryor considered playing basketball and football in college, he said he ruled that out.

"I'd like to someday maybe win the Heisman or something, so that starts with all that film-watching and working out. So, as of right now, I'm not playing basketball. I've got a lot of thinking to do, and I've got a lot of game-planning to do."