UGA athletics facilities to get Dooley's name.

SacFalcFan

UGA athletics facilities to get Dooley's name

Campus statue also will honor former coach, AD

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/11/08

Athens -- The University of Georgia has finally decided how to honor former football coach and athletics director Vince Dooley, and it doesn't involve Sanford Stadium.

The area of South Campus that houses most of the Bulldogs' athletic facilities will be called the "Vince Dooley Athletic Complex." An executive committee of the Georgia Athletic Association's board of directors unanimously approved a motion by UGA President Michael Adams at a specially called meeting Monday afternoon.

Dooley declined to comment pending the project's final approval.

"It's a very nice gesture," he said. "Other than that I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment."

The plan includes the construction of a garden plaza at the corner of South Lumpkin Street and Pinecrest Drive, adjacent to Butts-Mehre-Heritage Hall and Spec Towns Track on South Campus. The centerpiece of that plaza will be 14-foot-high, bronze statue of Dooley being lifted on the shoulders of two his players during the 1980 national championship season.

Dooley was Georgia's head football coach from 1964-1988. He became the winningest coach in UGA history during that span, winning 201 games, six SEC championships and one national championship.

Dooley became the Bulldogs AD in 1979 and oversaw their most successful period of overall athletic excellence in history.

Shortly after Dooley's retirement three years ago, there was discussion to re-name the football stadium Sanford-Dooley Stadium. But that died when it was determined that the Georgia legislature did not have the authority to name campus buildings and could not order the Board of Regents, which did, to do so.

"The stadium already has a name," Adams reiterated Monday. "I've said on other occasions, without any disaffection for anyone, we don't do many . . . hyphenated names here in my time. We think we've worked out something that's good and fitting for everybody."

The project will not be officially approved until it is signed off on by the state Board of Regents at its meeting tomorrow in Atlanta.

Current athletics director Damon Evans estimated the project will cost between $500,000 and $1 million. That does not include the cost of the statue itself, which is being paid for by a group of private donors, according to Adams.

The statue was created by Athens' Stan Mullins.

Evans said he hopes the project can be completed before football season. "It's a fast-track project," he said.

Why, though, was it so long in getting started?

"There's been a lot of talk about honoring Coach Dooley for quite some time," Evans said. "A lot of people get involved in what we do. Sometimes that's good and sometimes it can make things take longer than they need to. The good thing is we're honoring a man who has done a good job. How long it took is not most significant."

Dooley honor a disgrace

By Bill King | Monday, February 11, 2008, 05:54 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Leave it to Michael Adams to find a way to make honoring Vince Dooley a backhanded slap in the face.

Dooley supporters (me included) have called in recent years for the retired coach/athletics director s name to somehow be attached to Sanford Stadium or its field, the site where he made his legend.

There s also been a movement to locate a statue of Dooley outside the stadium.

Adams, of course, was having none of it.

But the man booed at the Sugar Bowl just about as lustily as the unbeloved mayor of New Orleans is a politician, after all, and he recognizes that it s not in his best interests to completely ignore Dooley s legacy.

So now the athletic association (which, let s face it, doesn t do anything these days without Adams OK) has come up with a plan to establish a Vince Dooley Athletic Complex on south campus and stick the statue in a little parklike setting way up Lumpkin Street. Sure, it s near the Butts-Mehrer building, but it s about a 20-minute walk from the stadium.

I bet there was a smirk on Adams face when they came up with this one. On the surface, they re honoring Dooley. But at the same time it s one more opportunity for Adams to put Dooley in his place & far away from Sanford Stadium and the main UGA athletic spotlight.

What a sorry episode. This isn t the way to pay tribute to a man who s devoted most of his life to UGA and served it proudly.

Dooley should be honored where his teams played and won championships. Period.

Demetrius Dew (2/12/2008)
read the 2nd post.. many people believe this is a disgrace to Dooley.

I did, is it that big of a deal not to have his name attach to the stadium but to an actual area?

For me personally no, but for those who are close to the situation that I have talked to yes. It's something that michael adams put his foot down on. I believe that it should be dooley field at sanford stadium. This is not an uncommon thing and then put out a statue outside the stadium. That really isn't that hard to do, but adams wouldn't let that happen.

SacFalcFan (2/12/2008)
Demetrius Dew (2/12/2008)
read the 2nd post.. many people believe this is a disgrace to Dooley.

I did, is it that big of a deal not to have his name attach to the stadium but to an actual area?

For me personally no, but for those who are close to the situation that I have talked to yes. It's something that michael adams put his foot down on. I believe that it should be dooley field at sanford stadium. This is not an uncommon thing and then put out a statue outside the stadium. That really isn't that hard to do, but adams wouldn't let that happen.

i think him getting his name on the athletic building is not bad, but not have his statue outside the stadium is crazy.

mayb they could name the UGA entrance of the field after him or like you said dooley field at sanford stadium.

I feel that it is just too en vouge to hate on Adams. It's not like they are sticking the Dooley statue out on highway 10, next to the Race Track gas station. They are building an effing Vince Dooley memorial park to put the statue in. BTW, has anyone got Vince's opinion on it? Wow, have times changed?.... Where building a statue of someone in a memorial park is now a 'slap in the face'.... Times they are a changin'.

oh yeah... I love how the 2nd article interjects a 'parklike setting'. Classy. I cant stand someone devaluing the memorial to Vince before it's ever constructed, based solely on proximity to where they think it should be.

This thread may sound a little silly to a non UGA fan who doesn't understand our history but let me put it this way

Dooley to a UGA fan is about the same as Jesus to a Christian.

Dooley put us firmly on the map and will always be appreciated by UGA fans for all time.

I want say its a slap in the face but it definetly isn't enough in my opinion.

Andrew (2/12/2008)
This thread may sound a little silly to a non UGA fan who doesn't understand our history but let me put it this way

Dooley to a UGA fan is about the same as Jesus to a Christian.

Dooley put us firmly on the map and will always be appreciated by UGA fans for all time.

I want say its a slap in the face but it definetly isn't enough in my opinion.

So why aren't any Boosters or Alumni stepping in to put Adams in his place?

I may not be the correct guy to answer that, I don't really follow the politics of UGA as much as some, but from what little I have read there has been alot of uproar about this.

The fans and alumni hate Adams, he gets booed all the time because of the way he has handled the whole Dooley situation, from when he pushed him into retirement and the way hes handled properly paying respect to him. I guarantee you he tries to keep a low profile of where he lives and the availability of his phone number. Believe me...he hes HATED.

I wouldn't say I hate him, but he really has seemed to mishandle the situation. He probably could have redeemed himself in the hearts of UGA fans for having pushed Dooley into retirement had he properly honored him but he didn't.

Andrew (2/13/2008)
I may not be the correct guy to answer that, I don't really follow the politics of UGA as much as some, but from what little I have read there has been alot of uproar about this.

The fans and alumni hate Adams, he gets booed all the time because of the way he has handled the whole Dooley situation, from when he pushed him into retirement and the way hes handled properly paying respect to him. I guarantee you he tries to keep a low profile of where he lives and the availability of his phone number. Believe me...he hes HATED.

I wouldn't say I hate him, but he really has seemed to mishandle the situation. He probably could have redeemed himself in the hearts of UGA fans for having pushed Dooley into retirement had he properly honored him but he didn't.

Let's say this Adams was booed after the sugar bowl. He is hated. The problem is people are upset, former players are speaking out, and boosters are upset, but Adams has a ton of power and he gets what he wants. Evans fought for what they are doing now for dooley. Adams decided to let some stuff happen, but he won't let what many believe should happen and that is name the field after dooley and put his statue outside sanford which IMO is where it belongs. Dooley fought hard for what sanford is today. His record speaks for itself as AD and Head Coach.

SacFalcFan (2/13/2008)
Andrew (2/13/2008)

Let's say this Adams was booed after the sugar bowl. He is hated. The problem is people are upset, former players are speaking out, and boosters are upset, but Adams has a ton of power and he gets what he wants. Evans fought for what they are doing now for dooley. Adams decided to let some stuff happen, but he won't let what many believe should happen and that is name the field after dooley and put his statue outside sanford which IMO is where it belongs. Dooley fought hard for what sanford is today. His record speaks for itself as AD and Head Coach.

as AD he got us Mark Richt, and as HC is got us a nat champ, and his decision to get Richt is going to get us more Nat Champs.

GEORGIAfan (2/13/2008)
SacFalcFan (2/13/2008)
Andrew (2/13/2008)

as AD he got us Mark Richt, and as HC is got us a nat champ, and his decision to get Richt is going to get us more Nat Champs.

Yep you got that right and I believe if Richt stays a while at uga he wins at least a few ncs.

SacFalcFan (2/13/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/13/2008)
SacFalcFan (2/13/2008)
Andrew (2/13/2008)

Yep you got that right and I believe if Richt stays a while at uga he wins at least a few ncs.

beats georgia tech every year, undefeated so far in nonconference play, averages 10 wins a season, 2 SEC Champs, 4 SEC east champs( we were co champs this year), classy guy. i do not think we will be getting rid of him any time soon.

i expect a few NCs with him as HC.