I Heard Dallas Is Targettin McFadden

There's been talk about this for a month or two. Both 1st rounders and Barber for McFadden. But even Jerry Jones said that was a bad idea. They could trade with us, it would be cheaper, but it looks like the top of the draft won't equal the points in a trade. But everyone thought this was an awful idea, because Barber is a proven RB, and McFadden is a good college RB. Plus the 2 first rounders it would take to get him. Anyone have the link to Jerry Jones saying that would be a dumb trade? I think it was around 2 weeks ago, maybe a bit less.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?edit...F5ECCEAA8B0EDAD

And boom.

" Even Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, the one you guys think wears his Arkansas hog helmet daily and is certain to trade it all just to get Darren McFadden, is on record this week as basically shooting down the possibility.

When asked about the possibility of a deal involving Barber and draft picks for the chance to draft the Arkansas running back, Jones told a respected Fort Worth Star-Telegram columnist, "No. Let me be very clear - no. I read (the rumor) and laughed. Marion at running back, we feel, is one of our strengths, and we want to keep it that way."

So there you have it. Most of you guys who have hit the Marion Barber panic button over the last few days should be able to breathe again."

Back in the 1960's, Admiral Hyman Rickover once made this observation: "I can imagine a newspaper announcing that the Russians had organized a unit to send a man to ****. The next morning there would be two or three federal agencies around with budget figures, public relations staffs pounding on the walls of Congress saying, 'We can't let 'em beat us to it.'"

In other words, just because the Cowboys' brain trust is thinking about doing something dumb is no reason the Falcons should start believing it's a good idea. In my view, a superior O-line can enable a journeyman running back or quarterback to be a great one; that is where the 2008 focus should be.

I'm 99% sure there's no chance this deal ever goes down. I'm not even going to get into how trading 2 firsts and a solid RB for another RB makes absolutely no sense. They'd still need another RB, they'd just have questions about how good McFadden is and they'd be down two first round picks. It's more realistic to assume that Dallas will take Felix Jones with their second first rounder.

That said, I think trading down would be the best option for us. If we could somehow trade down and pick up Ryan Clady in the first, I think that would be the ideal situation. If we get the 5th pick, I honestly wouldn't even be upset with Clady, as I think he is a better LT prospect than anyone in this draft. Then we can pick up Gosder Cherilus in the second round and be set at OT for the next 10 years.

Falcaholic4life (2/11/2008)
A friend told me yesterday that dallas general manager is negotiating a trade for miami's first pick over all for this years draft ... supposively they are going to trade marion barber for the pick ... what do you guys think ... sorry i got no link but foxsports said it.

My friend said his cousin's garbage man overheard that the Dallas general manager is Jerry Jones puppet and that Jerry Jones is not an idiot. It was on ESPN Deportes so there could be some Spanish translation issues.