Rapper Common rumored to play John Stewart in upcoming Green Lantern flick

Statick

I dunno about this one...

Hip-hop star Common had long been rumored to be playing the role of Green Lantern John Stewart in the upcoming Justice League of America from Warner Bros. The actor, most recently seen in Smokin' Aces, confirmed to MTV that he had, indeed, been cast in the film.

"It's a blessing really, to know that I could potentially be this superhero," he enthused. "Justice League itself is an honor, and Green Lantern is an incredible character to play. It's a blessing to be associated with it," Common said. "Just being a black person, a black man, playing a superhero is an honor in itself," he smiled.

Justice League of America had been delayed due to the WGA strike, with production believed to be picking back up during the summer of 2008. For his part, Common believes that while the film has been momentarily shelved, he still sees it moving forward soon.

Justice League of America brings DC Comic's greatest heroes together for the first time on the big screen. Superman, Batman, the Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the Martian Manhunter will all band together to save the Earth. Justice League of America is tentatively scheduled for a 2010 release. (wow...:w00t:)

Biloxifalcon (2/11/2008)
Uh, I don't know about this one either. I just CAN'T mentally picture him in that role.

Michael Jai White would be great for that role. He has the build and the look and the voice.

Hollywood always tries to get the up-and-coming, flavor-of-the-month rapper/actor to play these roles. I'm sick of it.

Michael Jai White would be interesting...but he's already in the upcoming Batman movie, and depending on his character goes in that one, might be back in line for the next sequel...personally, I'd have gone with Morris Chestnut...and if not him, than that cat from the tv shows, Shark and NYPD Blue, Henry Simmons...;)

Ton80Kid (2/11/2008)
Michael Jai White would be interesting...but he's already in the upcoming Batman movie, and depending on his character goes in that one, might be back in line for the next sequel...personally, I'd have gone with Morris Chestnut...and if not him, than that cat from the tv shows, Shark and NYPD Blue, Henry Simmons...;)

Simmons...good choice.

I forgot about him.

Henry Simmons would be a good pick. You can't go wrong with Common. He is a descent actor . Michael Jai- White is too thick in my opinion. Common has the right build for this.

Statick (2/11/2008)
Biloxifalcon (2/11/2008)
Uh, I don't know about this one either. I just CAN'T mentally picture him in that role.

Michael Jai White would be great for that role. He has the build and the look and the voice.

Hollywood always tries to get the up-and-coming, flavor-of-the-month rapper/actor to play these roles. I'm sick of it.

Eddie Jewell (2/11/2008)
Henry Simmons would be a good pick. You can't go wrong with Common. He is a descent actor . Michael Jai- White is too thick in my opinion. Common has the right build for this.

Really? I think Common is too small and soft-spoken.

In the comics, John Stewart is an ex-Marine. I have a feeling if Common is picked for this role, it'll be another Catwoman-type failure. Like with Halle Berry, beautiful woman, terrible Catwoman.

Stat. I was thinking the same thing when they casted Michael Keaton as Batman. He was an alright Batman. Batman vitals from DC is 6'1" 241lbs.

Statick (2/11/2008)
Eddie Jewell (2/11/2008)

Really? I think Common is too small and soft-spoken.

In the comics, John Stewart is an ex-Marine. I have a feeling if Common is picked for this role, it'll be another Catwoman-type failure. Like with Halle Berry, beautiful woman, terrible Catwoman.

Eddie Jewell (2/11/2008)
Stat. I was thinking the same thing when they casted Michael Keaton as Batman. He was an alright Batman. Batman vitals from DC is 6'1" 241lbs.

True.

If this movie ever gets made let's just hope that the villian (hopefully Sinestro) and the special effects are cool.

Sinestro. **** they are really amping this one up. Should be a nice flick.

Statick (2/11/2008)
Eddie Jewell (2/11/2008)

True.

If this movie ever gets made let's just hope that the villian (hopefully Sinestro) and the special effects are cool.