PETA Calls on China to Respect Rats

july425

ajc.com > Associated Press story

Group Calls on China to Respect Rats

BEIJING An animal rights group called Monday for China to treat rats with kindness and respect, as millions across the nation begin to celebrate the coming Year of the Rat.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, said it has asked the Chinese government to consider animal welfare laws for rats used in laboratory experiments. The group also recommended a series of guidelines for animals used in science.

"Rats sing, they dream, and they express empathy for others," Coco Yu of PETA's Asia-Pacific branch said in a statement.

China has increasingly become a place of business for international pharmaceutical companies, the group said.

The country has a shoddy animal rights record. There is little animal welfare legislation, many zoos are poorly run and animal parts are traded for use in traditional Chinese medicine. Activists have called on China to phase out bear farms, where bile is harvested for traditional medicine, complaining that the animals are often raised in inhumane conditions.

The rat is one of 12 animals in the 12-year cycle of the Chinese zodiac, which follows the lunar calendar. The Lunar New Year is Thursday.

july425 (2/10/2008)

ajc.com > Associated Press story

Group Calls on China to Respect Rats

BEIJING An animal rights group called Monday for China to treat rats with kindness and respect, as millions across the nation begin to celebrate the coming Year of the Rat.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, said it has asked the Chinese government to consider animal welfare laws for rats used in laboratory experiments. The group also recommended a series of guidelines for animals used in science.

"Rats sing, they dream, and they express empathy for others," Coco Yu of PETA's Asia-Pacific branch said in a statement.

China has increasingly become a place of business for international pharmaceutical companies, the group said.

The country has a shoddy animal rights record. There is little animal welfare legislation, many zoos are poorly run and animal parts are traded for use in traditional Chinese medicine. Activists have called on China to phase out bear farms, where bile is harvested for traditional medicine, complaining that the animals are often raised in inhumane conditions.

The rat is one of 12 animals in the 12-year cycle of the Chinese zodiac, which follows the lunar calendar. The Lunar New Year is Thursday.

I'll respect the rats when they start using the toilet instead of my cabinet's. Until then "die u filthy rodents". I find pleasure when I hear them scream screech,screech,screech, on the sticky pad I put out for them!

My daughter had two pet mice which quickly became five pet mice. One morning only one remained. He had eaten all the others including his mother leaving nothing but the smallest bit of pelt. But I'm sure he had moments of reflective remorse. Also saw a photo today of an Asian market with live animals in cages to be sold for cooking--cats beside chickens. Does anyone truly listen to anything PETA suggests? They are just shrill extremists.

backnblack (2/10/2008)
My daughter had two pet mice which quickly became five pet mice. One morning only one remained. He had eaten all the others including his mother leaving nothing but the smallest bit of pelt. But I'm sure he had moments of reflective remorse. Also saw a photo today of an Asian market with live animals in cages to be sold for cooking--cats beside chickens. Does anyone truly listen to anything PETA suggests? They are just shrill extremists.

It could have been a cunning escape, and he stayed behind to safeguard their freedom bid

but yeah, he probably ate them!:D

I think PETA has done some good and started out with the best intentions, but it became like every special interest group ever. It grows into a machine, and it has to sustain the business side of things to keep up. To do this they have to continue to make the news and draw attention. I don't think the originators of PETA were worried about rats in China, but now PETA needs the publicity and money, so they have to pursue everything that could possibly be considered animal cruelty.

PETA spends way more money on criminal defense of convicted ALF domestic terrorists than it does helping any animals. The rest of their money is spent doing stupid publicity stunts like ruining peoples' fur coats with paint or protesting fashion shows. And then they waste even more money advertising their idiotic claims that poultry farming is akin to the Holocaust or the Middle Passage. Or attempting to brainwash kids into thinking their parents don't love them if they feed them milk or meat. They SERIOUSLY said feeding a kid a burger constitutes child abuse!

They do more harm than good for their cause, and they know it. Ingrid Newkirk (their insane leader) is a demented human being. Google her name and read some of her quotes and beliefs- she seriously needs psychiatric help.

If you want to help animals, PETA is the last place to send your money.

They do more harm than good for their cause, and they know it. Ingrid Newkirk (their insane leader) is a demented human being. Google her name and read some of her quotes and beliefs- she seriously needs psychiatric help.

You are so right. I read this quote from here

I would say, 'They are stepping on the animals, crushing them like grapes, and they don't care.' In the end, I would go to work early, before anyone got there, and I would just kill the animals myself. Because I couldn't stand to let them go through that. I must have killed a thousand of them, sometimes dozens every day. Some of those people would take pleasure in making them suffer. Driving home every night, I would cry just thinking about it. And I just felt, to my bones, this cannot be right.

They even protest the circus.

XLDenaliReturns (2/11/2008)
PETA spends way more money on criminal defense of convicted ALF domestic terrorists than it does helping any animals. The rest of their money is spent doing stupid publicity stunts like ruining peoples' fur coats with paint or protesting fashion shows. And then they waste even more money advertising their idiotic claims that poultry farming is akin to the Holocaust or the Middle Passage. Or attempting to brainwash kids into thinking their parents don't love them if they feed them milk or meat. They SERIOUSLY said feeding a kid a burger constitutes child abuse!

If you want to help animals, PETA is the last place to send your money.

Exactly. Humane Society and ASPCA are the two that I support. Neither have gone to an extreme like PETA has...

i'd really like a PETA member/supporter to step up here and defend their positions. It's kind of lame to sit here and just one-sidedly bash these crazies. (lame but fun)

Here are some more quotes from PETA's leader, Ingrid Newkirk: http://www.activistcash.com/biography_quotes.cfm/bid/456

There are too many ridiculously stupid ones to cite, so I'll just list a couple:

There s no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They re all animals.

Washingtonian magazine, Aug 1986

Even if animal tests produced a cure for AIDS, we d be against it.

PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk, in the September 1989 issue of Vogue, Sep 1989

I openly hope that it [hoof-and-mouth disease] comes here. It will bring economic harm only for those who profit from giving people heart attacks and giving animals a concentration camp-like existence. It would be good for animals, good for human health and good for the environment.

ABC News interview, Apr 2001

beitch is insane.

capologist (2/11/2008)

Exactly. Humane Society and ASPCA are the two that I support. Neither have gone to an extreme like PETA has...

I didn't realize until recently that the local Humane Societies didn't get any funding from (because its not affiliated with) the HSUS (Humane Society of the US). No wonder these city and county humane societies are always having to beg for money...and half the officers for the HSUS are former PETA directors. The local societies are being ripped off, its just that simple. They need to figure out a way to sue and take their name back.

XLDenaliReturns (2/11/2008)
i'd really like a PETA member/supporter to step up here and defend their positions. It's kind of lame to sit here and just one-sidedly bash these crazies. (lame but fun)

I used to support PETA, but haven't in years. Their basic premise is respectable, but their extremism makes them ineffective. I'm not going to knowingly buy cosmetics that are tested on animals, but I can't oppose research to cure disease. Their willingness to harm humans to make a point about animal suffering is contradictory and a bit hypocritical.

july425 (2/11/2008)

I didn't realize until recently that the local Humane Societies didn't get any funding from (because its not affiliated with) the HSUS (Humane Society of the US). No wonder these city and county humane societies are always having to beg for money...and half the officers for the HSUS are former PETA directors. The local societies are being ripped off, its just that simple. They need to figure out a way to sue and take their name back.

Yep, the HSUS are mainly for getting laws changed, legal issues and setting a standard. That's why so many people were taking the chewed Vick cards and ebaying them. It was a very easy and cheap way to raise money for their local shelter.

I've got two strays I took in and there's not a no-kill shelter around that will take them so the only choice I have is to either let city animal control take them (which means they'll be dead in a week) or deal with it and hope they get adopted soon. I'm going for the latter and hoping they don't wreck my back porch and yard too much in the meantime and it's all because of irresponsible owners who don't get their pets spayed and neutered OR don't properly secure the area they are in.

capologist (2/11/2008)

I've got two strays I took in and there's not a no-kill shelter around that will take them so the only choice I have is to either let city animal control take them (which means they'll be dead in a week) or deal with it and hope they get adopted soon. I'm going for the latter and hoping they don't wreck my back porch and yard too much in the meantime and it's all because of irresponsible owners who don't get their pets spayed and neutered OR don't properly secure the area they are in.

I would like to retract my earlier statement - I support minor abuse for irresponsible owners. There are vets who discount neutering/spaying for pets taken from shelters, or strays. I have a hard time understanding why people won't take advantage of it.

Cappy, I think it's wonderful of you to take in strays!

etifan (2/12/2008)

I would like to retract my earlier statement - I support minor abuse for irresponsible owners. There are vets who discount neutering/spaying for pets taken from shelters, or strays. I have a hard time understanding why people won't take advantage of it.

Cappy, I think it's wonderful of you to take in strays!

Hopefully, us "activists" can get legislation passed like the UK has where people have to prove they are able to take care of their pet of choice and that it's mandatory for spaying/neutering pets before being sold. Also, only licensed breeders would be able to sell pets instead of everyone and their brother.

Eventually, I hope to take care of dogs on a full-time basis...;)

capologist (2/12/2008)

Hopefully, us "activists" can get legislation passed like the UK has where people have to prove they are able to take care of their pet of choice and that it's mandatory for spaying/neutering pets before being sold. Also, only licensed breeders would be able to sell pets instead of everyone and their brother.

Eventually, I hope to take care of dogs on a full-time basis...;)

I support that legislation for potential pet owners *and* parents, ha.

Full-time caretaker would be perfect...until it's time to place the animal in a home. :D

From what I understand, PETA's principal is that all animals deserve the same rights and freedoms as humans. Pet ownership, to them, would be slavery.

Oh you thought they just wanted people to treat their pets better? You must have them confused with the SPCA. If you are a pet owner, and you support PETA, then let your pet out of the house right now. You dont have any right to keep them enslaved.