Dimitroff and Smith have alot to work with.

dcfalcons

Last season was a mess. There were a few bright spots, but all in all, it's a season to forget. But what's great about the NFL is that there is always next season and in this age of free agency, the Falcons can be a playoff team next year. NFL history is littered with examples of teams with poor records rebounding the next season and making the playoffs.

The key in getting there lies with Dimitroff, Smith and company. Based on comments by Blank and others, we will have quite a bit of room under the cap, but pretty much everyone knows you cannot build a team through FA alone. That is where this year's draft comes into play. I believe as it stands right now, we have 9 draft picks (1,2,2,3,4,5,6,7,7) not including the compensations which should garner 2 more picks, at the very least 1 - that one should be a 3rd rounder for Kerney.

So I say that with the room under the cap and the potential 10 draft picks, we can be sitting with a pretty good looking team next year. Not sure about anyone else, but I am excited. I'm hoping Dimitroff and Smith do well.

dcfalcons, i'm with you on that, but i'm being cautiously optimistic. i think we are in much better shape than our record shows. we won 4 games last season, but we had the oppurtunity to win at least 3 if not 4 of those games that we lost.

i honestly think with our strong draft last year, and "hopefully" another strong draft this year, we would be in a very good position to be a solid team. I honestly believe we can ALMOST completley fix our o-line through FA and the draft this season. that is also with using our first 3-5 hopefully on ellis or dorsey. with the addition of starx or faneca, and drafting a LT with our first 2nd, we'll be in good shape.

blaylock, datish, clabo, foster/weiner and a good LT we'll be set to be competitive.

on the d side, nicholas will have a year under his belt, so will jimmy at safety. Houston only got better as the season went along, hopefully he will work on his ball skills in the offseason, but he did a great job of staying in receivers hip pockets. Our d-line could consist of abe, coleman/lewis, ellis or dorsey, and anderson/davis. God willing we will resign boley and we still have d-hall for another year. Our d is poised to be a force next year.

I don't want to be too optimistic, because i'm really not sold on mularkey or vangorder, but i like TD and Smith, so i'm gonna trust their judgement until they give me a reason not too.

we have plenty of picks, but if those picks turn into players I will be very happy and content with the team.

I think we will probably not make the playoffs but be in contention this year and next year make some real noise in the NFC.

our front office does have a lot of work ahead of them. they have to find denfesive bulk and bangers and have to find 2 starting Olinemen, LT and RG. on eof those may come in free agency. I think we have a chance for greatness soon.

trubirdfan4life (2/10/2008)
we have plenty of picks, but if those picks turn into players I will be very happy and content with the team.

I think we will probably not make the playoffs but be in contention this year and next year make some real noise in the NFC.

our front office does have a lot of work ahead of them. they have to find denfesive bulk and bangers and have to find 2 starting Olinemen, LT and RG. on eof those may come in free agency. I think we have a chance for greatness soon.

i agree. i think out of all the basement dwelling teams, we are in the best shape for the quickest rebuilding....AS LONG AS WE DON'T MISS IN THIS UPCOMING DRAFT

birds_till_death (2/10/2008)
dcfalcons, i'm with you on that, but i'm being cautiously optimistic. i think we are in much better shape than our record shows. we won 4 games last season, but we had the oppurtunity to win at least 3 if not 4 of those games that we lost.

i honestly think with our strong draft last year, and "hopefully" another strong draft this year, we would be in a very good position to be a solid team. I honestly believe we can ALMOST completley fix our o-line through FA and the draft this season. that is also with using our first 3-5 hopefully on ellis or dorsey. with the addition of starx or faneca, and drafting a LT with our first 2nd, we'll be in good shape.

blaylock, datish, clabo, foster/weiner and a good LT we'll be set to be competitive.

on the d side, nicholas will have a year under his belt, so will jimmy at safety. Houston only got better as the season went along, hopefully he will work on his ball skills in the offseason, but he did a great job of staying in receivers hip pockets. Our d-line could consist of abe, coleman/lewis, ellis or dorsey, and anderson/davis. God willing we will resign boley and we still have d-hall for another year. Our d is poised to be a force next year.

I don't want to be too optimistic, because i'm really not sold on mularkey or vangorder, but i like TD and Smith, so i'm gonna trust their judgement until they give me a reason not too.

I agree that we definitely could have one probably 3 more games. I'm not sold on Vangorder, but I think Mularkey can do well at OC. It's not a pretty signing at OC, but he's been successful in the past. I do like Smith though from what I've seen and am hoping Dimitroff is the man !

trubirdfan4life (2/10/2008)

I really think the draft will be huge. With all these picks, we need to hit on quite a few of them. I'm hoping we can snag Chris Williams in the 2nd for LT or perhaps Carl Nicks who looked real good at the Senior bowl.