May I vent????

Alright so I've been reading the Auburn and National board and heard comments from Finebaum all about how bad AU's recruiting season was, and Finebaum even went as far to say that CTT doesn't care about the program. The fact remains that Auburn a.) produced a fourth straight top 20 recruiting class b.) filled just about every need they looked to fill through recruiting and c.) given the somewhat tumultuous AU off-season I would say CTT did rather well (rumors CTT was leaving not once but twice, and the loss of both coordinators). Now people will compare AU to their in-state rival and point out the discrepancy of in-state recruits (Yes Auburn got swept) but UAT had something to offer that AU did not and that is the ever-coveted PT, believe it or not AU is DEEP this season with the two biggest question marks at the end of the season (QB and DL) being answered by recruits that can and will come in and start only a small number of schools (such as USC) can snatch players despite being stacked at the position. I think AU bounces back in to the top ten in recruiting next year especially with players like David Oku calling AU their number one.

*Steps off soap box*

millejb (2/10/2008)
Alright so I've been reading the Auburn and National board and heard comments from Finebaum all about how bad AU's recruiting season was, and Finebaum even went as far to say that CTT doesn't care about the program. The fact remains that Auburn a.) produced a fourth straight top 20 recruiting class b.) filled just about every need they looked to fill through recruiting and c.) given the somewhat tumultuous AU off-season I would say CTT did rather well (rumors CTT was leaving not once but twice, and the loss of both coordinators). Now people will compare AU to their in-state rival and point out the discrepancy of in-state recruits (Yes Auburn got swept) but UAT had something to offer that AU did not and that is the ever-coveted PT, believe it or not AU is DEEP this season with the two biggest question marks at the end of the season (QB and DL) being answered by recruits that can and will come in and start only a small number of schools (such as USC) can snatch players despite being stacked at the position. I think AU bounces back in to the top ten in recruiting next year especially with players like David Oku calling AU their number one.

*Steps off soap box*

I think the disappointing close to Auburn's recruiting class is cause for concern, but if you close the deal with Enrique Davis, Jamon Fortson, and Charles Deas, there is little to no chatter about Auburn recruiting. With that said, Auburn really had to scramble late just to fill scholarships -- see Dallenbach, Pybus, etc. Not saying those guys won't be solid contributors, but you and I both know they were not first options for Auburn.

I think you are exactly right that the solid recruiting by Alabama also plays into the perception Auburn had a down year. I agree that Alabama had playing time to sell -- also, I do not think Tuberville has had to work as hard in the past as what he will have to work to keep up with Saban in-state. Saban simply is not going to get out-worked.

Nevertheless, Tuberville probably does more as far as developing players than any coach in the league -- I think he will coach the class up, but he will not have the margin for error he has had with some classes.

CrimsonKat (2/10/2008)
millejb (2/10/2008)

*Steps off soap box*

I think the disappointing close to Auburn's recruiting class is cause for concern, but if you close the deal with Enrique Davis, Jamon Fortson, and Charles Deas, there is little to no chatter about Auburn recruiting. With that said, Auburn really had to scramble late just to fill scholarships -- see Dallenbach, Pybus, etc. Not saying those guys won't be solid contributors, but you and I both know they were not first options for Auburn.

I think you are exactly right that the solid recruiting by Alabama also plays into the perception Auburn had a down year. I agree that Alabama had playing time to sell -- also, I do not think Tuberville has had to work as hard in the past as what he will have to work to keep up with Saban in-state. Saban simply is not going to get out-worked.

Nevertheless, Tuberville probably does more as far as developing players than any coach in the league -- I think he will coach the class up, but he will not have the margin for error he has had with some classes.

Dallenbach I just don't understand, I would love to say that he was the result of scrambling but he got his offer about a week or two before NSD, now Pybus did seem like a last minute option but the more I read and watch I really think he will be good for Auburn in a couple of years, he led his Nike camp in Bench Press with 39 reps, and Vert with 40 inches, and led all LBs in 40 time with a 4.55 and shuttle at 4.31, so I was pleasently surprised by Pybus after I looked at him. As far as the recruits we lost Enrique wants to be the star of the show in a power running game, that won't happen at Auburn anymore with the implementation of the spread, I don't understand what happened with Jarmon he grew up an Auburn fan and suddenly decommitted, maybe him and diddy went to dillards on his trip (I kid, I kid) and Deas, well he just wasn't smart enough to get in, he may never see a D-1 field which is sad in a way. Being the glass half-full guy that I am I don't see it as so much of a down year as it could be perceived given that our Borgesless offense is now heading in the right direction, and we basically traded up as far as DC's go, but losing them both (I say losing but Borges was not so much "lost") did hurt recruiting a bit I think, but all in all Auburn two of the fastest guys in the state of Florida in Pierre-Louis and Harry Adams, two guys that can come in and start off the bat in Raven Gray and Jermaine Johnson, the best running back in the state (according to rivals) in Reggie Hunt, an All-American DB in Nieko, and numerous All-State players. Sorry for the long winded response.

millejb (2/10/2008)
CrimsonKat (2/10/2008)
millejb (2/10/2008)

*Steps off soap box*

Dallenbach I just don't understand, I would love to say that he was the result of scrambling but he got his offer about a week or two before NSD, now Pybus did seem like a last minute option but the more I read and watch I really think he will be good for Auburn in a couple of years, he led his Nike camp in Bench Press with 39 reps, and Vert with 40 inches, and led all LBs in 40 time with a 4.55 and shuttle at 4.31, so I was pleasently surprised by Pybus after I looked at him. As far as the recruits we lost Enrique wants to be the star of the show in a power running game, that won't happen at Auburn anymore with the implementation of the spread, I don't understand what happened with Jarmon he grew up an Auburn fan and suddenly decommitted, maybe him and diddy went to dillards on his trip (I kid, I kid) and Deas, well he just wasn't smart enough to get in, he may never see a D-1 field which is sad in a way. Being the glass half-full guy that I am I don't see it as so much of a down year as it could be perceived given that our Borgesless offense is now heading in the right direction, and we basically traded up as far as DC's go, but losing them both (I say losing but Borges was not so much "lost") did hurt recruiting a bit I think, but all in all Auburn two of the fastest guys in the state of Florida in Pierre-Louis and Harry Adams, two guys that can come in and start off the bat in Raven Gray and Jermaine Johnson, the best running back in the state (according to rivals) in Reggie Hunt, an All-American DB in Nieko, and numerous All-State players. Sorry for the long winded response.

I think you guys will reap the rewards of the Franklin hire in recruiting next season -- not just his product on the field, but Franklin is a known name around the South. His camp at Troy this past year had more players/high school coaches than 90% of the top tier teams in college football. Franklin is a personable guy who I think kids will enjoy playing for at Auburn.

Two in-state guys I think Auburn would love to have for the coming year:

1) Tana Patrick LB -- North Jackson High. A hard-hitting linebacker who plays sideline to sideline. Will likely be a high four star.

2) AJ McCarron QB -- St. Paul's (Mobile). The top QB in the state for next season. Has a cannon arm with some mobility. With Star Jackson going to UA in 2008, Auburn may be able to offer more immediate playing time for McCarron. Three teammates from McCarron's St. Paul's team though just signed with Bama, Mark Barron, Ivan Matchett, and Destin Hood.