Brian Brohm

bigstack19

I personally hate Brohm. He looked like crap in the Big East which isn't exactly a defensive conference plus he is injured often. I don't even believe he was the best QB on his own team...(Hunter Cantwell). I see alot of posts from people wanting him. There are at least 10 QBs in either the draft of free agency that I would take over Brohm.

1.Matt Ryan

2.Chad Henne

3.Andre Woodson

4.Erik Ainge

5.Josh Johnson

6.Joe Flacco

7.Dennis Dixon

1.Derek Anderson R.F.A.

2.Chris Redman F.A.

3.Billy Volek

This isn't counting a possible trade for Donovan McNabb which I hear is a possibility if we could get him for a 2 and a 5 or something like that.

youre right. because playing top 25 pass defenses (which he played about 3 more than Andre Woodson played in the vaunted SEC) and tearing them apart is overrated.

this is your opinion, but let me just say that i 100% disagree with it. you really have no statistical or factual evidence to back up your claim that he looked like crap in the big east (which isnt even true, just look at his stats) but even if he did, your #1 QB looked like crap in the ACC and threw about 7, 8 or 9 more interceptions than Brohm did, however he threw the ball substantially more and managed to get a whopping total of 1 more touchdown pass than brohm did. That is with a much better defense, and much better RB and a much better offensive line.

but youre right, brohm sucks.

Here are some stats. In Louisville's 6 losses he threw 10 interceptions. Louisville was supposed to contend for the Big Least title and maybe the National Title and they didn't even make a bowl game. Against the top 3 teams in the Big Least. UConn, West Virginia, and South Florida he threw 4 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. He inflated his stats against Middle Tennessee and some other lesser teams. Also, I might add that Matt Ryan was playing in a new system and he had alot less talent at receiver than Louisville has. Harry Douglas, Mario Urrutia, and Patrick Carter are light years better than Kevin Challenger and Brandon Robinson. See the difference between me and the rest of you all is that I can see beyond the stats and see talent. Ryan is way more talented than Brohm and I don't even need numbers to see that. But you all wanted stats. Here is another one, Boston College hit double digit victories and won another bowl game. Louisville was 6-6 and didn't make a bowl. A QB elevates his team.

"Here are some stats. In Louisville's 6 losses he threw 10 interceptions. Louisville was supposed to contend for the Big Least title and maybe the National Title and they didn't even make a bowl game. Against the top 3 teams in the Big Least. UConn, West Virginia, and South Florida he threw 4 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. He inflated his stats against Middle Tennessee and some other lesser teams. Also, I might add that Matt Ryan was playing in a new system and he had alot less talent at receiver than Louisville has. Harry Douglas, Mario Urrutia, and Patrick Carter are light years better than Kevin Challenger and Brandon Robinson. See the difference between me and the rest of you all is that I can see beyond the stats and see talent. Ryan is way more talented than Brohm and I don't even need numbers to see that. But you all wanted stats. Here is another one, Boston College hit double digit victories and won another bowl game. Louisville was 6-6 and didn't make a bowl. A QB elevates his team. "

Before you dig yourself any deeper, let me ask you a question, did you actually watch Louisville play at all this year? Louisville's defense was terrible. His defense couldn't get off the field, and Louisville was constantly having to play catch up. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Louisville's defense didn't make Brohm throw for more ints than TD'S against their top opponents. In fact, it probably put Louisville's defense in a much tougher position than they should have been. I watched Louisville 5 times last season against Kentucky, UConn, West Virginia, South Florida and Rutgers and he was awful. Great players play their best against the best teams. Brohm didn't show up in those games, except maybe against Kentucky. He had a decent game against Rutgers. I believe everyone is blinded by inflated stats. To me he looks like another Browning Nagle. If he turns into Peyton Manning in the pros I will admit that I was wrong. I don't think I will have to though. Matt Ryan, Andre Woodson, Erik Ainge, are all winners. Brohm isn't. Personally, I hope the Falcons don't draft a QB this year and draft for the lines and linebackers that need work instead. QB's could be better next year in the draft anyway.

grendel (2/10/2008)
bigstack19 (2/10/2008)
Louisville's defense didn't make Brohm throw for more ints than TD'S against their top opponents. In fact, it probably put Louisville's defense in a much tougher position than they should have been. I watched Louisville 5 times last season against Kentucky, UConn, West Virginia, South Florida and Rutgers and he was awful. Great players play their best against the best teams. Brohm didn't show up in those games, except maybe against Kentucky. He had a decent game against Rutgers. I believe everyone is blinded by inflated stats. To me he looks like another Browning Nagle. If he turns into Peyton Manning in the pros I will admit that I was wrong. I don't think I will have to though. Matt Ryan, Andre Woodson, Erik Ainge, are all winners. Brohm isn't. Personally, I hope the Falcons don't draft a QB this year and draft for the lines and linebackers that need work instead. QB's could be better next year in the draft anyway.

Face the fact that you're wrong and move on. Your "stats" are highly suspect, and you can pick and choose bad games for any player.Ignoring his good/great games is just ridiculous. All that your stats show is that Brohm was the only thing going for Louisville and if he had great game they had a chance for a win, but if he only had a good to mediocre game (and he really only had one game I'd call bad), then they'd lose because their defense was so horrible.

Explain your boy Ryan's poor performances. Explain his 2 INTs against ARMY, then get back to me.

bigstack19 (2/10/2008)
grendel (2/10/2008)
bigstack19 (2/10/2008)

Face the fact that you're wrong and move on. Your "stats" are highly suspect, and you can pick and choose bad games for any player.Ignoring his good/great games is just ridiculous. All that your stats show is that Brohm was the only thing going for Louisville and if he had great game they had a chance for a win, but if he only had a good to mediocre game (and he really only had one game I'd call bad), then they'd lose because their defense was so horrible.

Explain your boy Ryan's poor performances. Explain his 2 INTs against ARMY, then get back to me.

My stats are suspect? They came off of the ESPN website. I am not ignoring his good or great games totally but he only had three last season and two of those were against Murray State and Middle Tennessee. Ryan again had no receivers. Without Ryan Boston College doesn't win 6 games. With Brohm Louisville won six games. You all wanted stats. I gave you stats that proved my arguement against Brohm. Against the best of the Big East, UConn, West Virginia, South Florida and Rutgers he threw 5 tds to 7 ints. Louisville lost three of those games and only South Florida was a blowout loss. Those ints might have been the difference. You all can't even admit that you might be wrong. Fact is none of us know what he will do in the NFL. None of us are qualified to be GM'S in the NFL. Certainly not me. I just know what I see and I watched enough of Brohm to think he is vastly overrated. Period.

bigstack19 (2/10/2008)
I just know what I see and I watched enough of Brohm to think he is vastly overrated. Period.

Conversely, I've seen over 20 games in Brohm's career and he is the only QB in this draft I believe is worthy of a first round draft pick.

PS: Even if we allow for the cherry picking of the four worst games of his senior year, there is still the pesky fact that his team averaged 26.5 points a game in them. That should have been good enough to win if not for one of the worst defenses in Division I.

Wow! This is actually getting fun for me. I am just so tired of this team losing. I have been with this team since I was 5 years old. Just when I think they are about to turn the corner something stupid happens. In 82 they fired Leeman Bennett for no reason. In 86 they fired Dan Henning which wasn't bad but they hired Marion Campbell. Then Glanville got the team to the playoffs in 91 just to have back to back 6-10 seasons. Then June got them to the playoffs in 95 just to have the whole Jeff George mess tear them apart. Then they made the Super Bowl in 98 just to fall apart again in 99. Then they got back to the playoffs in 02 and I personally felt they were primed for a Super Bowl run in 03 just to see Vick break his leg. Then they finally turned the corner in 05 after making the NFC Championship or so I thought. They were sitting pretty at 7-3 after 10 games just to finish 8-8. 06 wasn't much better and then Vick turns out to be a dogfighting idiot. I feel Brohm would be huge mistake. No QB is worth taking in the first round of this draft espicially Brohm.

bigstack19 (2/10/2008)
Matt Ryan, Andre Woodson, Erik Ainge, are all winners. Brohm isn't.

So you want winners at our QB? By that logic, we have to draft Colt Brennan. And if winning is everything, then Chris Leak and Troy Smith will be the best QBs of last years draft. Winning is important, but there so many variables that the QB can't control whether or not his team wins a game or not.

please explain to me how it is brohm's fault his team went 6-6 when he had the best season of his career last year despite having one of the worst defenses in the entire country last year. he would have to put up 30+ points to have a CHANCE at winning because their defense was absolutely horrible, and it was sad to watch west virginia just walk all over them, but it was great to see brohm lead a very impressive comeback win against rutgers.

at least brohm was facing a pass rush against rutgers, matt ryan's vaunted comeback against virginia tech only occurred because they rushed 3 and played zone instead of blitzing him and owning him like they did earlier in the game. when they played again they did the same thing and guess who won?

not matt ryans team.

you can talk about his supporting cast all you want, but brohm might have had better WR's, but ryan had the better offensive line and running game, along with a vastly better defense. so please tell me how you can say brohm should be blamed for his team not being good enough, namely his defense and his running game/offensive line, yet use the excuse of ryans wrs not being good enough to explain pretty much any mistake he has ever made?

furthermore, if we want a winner, why would we select ryan? you say qbs should elevate their team and win games, yet he could not beat virginia tech in the ACC championship game, and blew a chance at a perfect season and a national title after his remarkably pedestrian comeback against virginia tech. using your own reasoning, that should hurt him, yet you ignore the negatives for matt ryan and focus on them for brohm.

here are some negatives for you to chew over on ryan:

he throws a lot of interceptions, and at least 10 of his 19 (probably more like 12, though i cant be sure) were on deep passes as a senior. why the **** would we draft him when he cant throw the deep ball? he puts too much air under his throws, and lacks accuracy when throwing it deep, allowing defenders to make plays on the ball and intercept it. he is very good in the short to intermediate range, but considering our offense is a VERTICAL PASSING OFFENSE, why the **** would we draft a QB that cant throw the deep ball? or rather, why would we draft a QB that can throw a deep ball, but when he does it is inaccurate more times than not, and results in about 2x as many interceptions as when he throws it in the short-intermediate range.

i could go on, but i think i made my point.