Mcfadden VS Stewart/Mendenhall

In my opinion, Mcfadden is very overrated, and already has shown he has charachter issues(bar fights, illegitimate children) and who knows what else..

Does anyone else think, that he could be passed by either Stewart, or mendenhall?

NFL draft countdown has stewart rated at #7 overall in the whole draft, so he is the most likely.

just wondering??

The H.N.I.C. 2! (2/10/2008)
In my opinion, Mcfadden is very overrated, and already has shown he has charachter issues(bar fights, illegitimate children) and who knows what else..

Does anyone else think, that he could be passed by either Stewart, or mendenhall?

NFL draft countdown has stewart rated at #7 overall in the whole draft, so he is the most likely.

just wondering??

To answer your question Yes they could he isn't as good as some like to think. He is a gimmick back thats afraid of getting hit. alot of the yards he got were straight snaps and other gimmick plays.

Culain (2/10/2008)

just wondering??

To answer your question Yes they could he isn't as good as some like to think. He is a gimmick back thats afraid of getting hit. alot of the yards he got were straight snaps and other gimmick plays.

I suppose all 325 carries were on gimmicks? I've also noticed that he seems to run right up the middle most of the time, and seems to enjoy running into defensive backs in the open field, I'm sure anyone that's watched him on any of those 325 carries would note the same consistent behavior.

just wondering??

very very slight possibility. Mendenhall I believe could, but I think Stewart is going to drop some.
Carter (2/10/2008)
No, there is not a chance they pass him in the actual draft unless he has a horrible combine and Stewart/Mendenhall have a phenomenal one.

No one is interested in trading up for Stewart or Mendenhall.

I'd gladly take any one of the three, though.

Both stewart and Mendenhall have QBs, and i bet you could name them off the top of your head, BUT who is the Ark QB??( i know who it is) RunDMC is the qb, wideout, and RB. he has no passing support.

GEORGIAfan (2/10/2008)
Both stewart and Mendenhall have QBs, and i bet you could name them off the top of your head, BUT who is the Ark QB??( i know who it is) RunDMC is the qb, wideout, and RB. he has no passing support.

Yeah, you are right... which is exactly why McFadden will go ahead of them unless he just absolutely tanks at the combine. McFadden was on a horrible horrible team in the toughest defensive conference in college football and he had better production than both of those guys (though Stewart was not far behind him).

When teams played Arkansas, they knew exactly what they were getting and they still couldn't stop him.

just wondering??

i will not be fooled by all this talk about mcfadden is the best back in this year's draft. mendenhall is by far the best all round rb in this draft. i just hope our new is gm smart enough not to buy into all this talk about mcfadden and ryan.
GEORGIAfan (2/10/2008)
Carter (2/10/2008)
No, there is not a chance they pass him in the actual draft unless he has a horrible combine and Stewart/Mendenhall have a phenomenal one.

Mcfadden had 3 All-Americans on his OL, can you name any from the other 2 OL?

Culain (2/10/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/10/2008)
Carter (2/10/2008)

Mcfadden had 3 All-Americans on his OL, can you name any from the other 2 OL?

Same logic as Barry Sanders having a great offensive line because a couple of his offensive linemen getting invited to the probowl every year. McFadden had a great offensive line, but not one that cleared a big path every play against good teams, and facing eight and nine in the box with such a poor passing game didn't help matters. I can only imagine McFadden's stats in a weaker conference with a real passing game.

**** to even mention McFadden in the same sentence as Sanders is Idiocy.

Now I don't know what videos you have been watching but the one's I have seen, McFadden will only go up the middle if the hole is big enough that someone in a wheel chair could get through untouched.

His primary instinct is to take everything outside, He is NOT an inside power runner

Yes his OL was good enough to create huge running lanes with 8 and 9 in the box. he had probably the best rushing OL in college.

Now if you have video that would change my mind I would like to see it, cause everything I can find supports what I am saying.

Culain (2/10/2008)
**** to even mention McFadden in the same sentence as Sanders is Idiocy.

Now I don't know what videos you have been watching but the one's I have seen, McFadden will only go up the middle if the hole is big enough that someone in a wheel chair could get through untouched.

His primary instinct is to take everything outside, He is NOT an inside power runner

Yes his OL was good enough to create huge running lanes with 8 and 9 in the box. he had probably the best rushing OL in college.

Now if you have video that would change my mind I would like to see it, cause everything I can find supports what I am saying.

Missed the point by a mile and a half, there was no direct comparison of McFadden and Sanders, the comparison was false merit of the offensive line for the success of an unusually talented running back, as far as style goes they have little in common.

What are the "videos" you are refering to? Are the scouting tapes? I'm guessing youtube highlights. Speaking of which, you shouldn't put SEC players in your sig if you don't watch the SEC, unless you're a very sore LSU fan that only watched that one game. He consistently is knocked for being a tall running back that runs inside too much for his size, and a straight-ahead runner that is too willing to run into defenders rather than attempt avoid them or even lessen the impact, no one that watches more than highlight videos of him running in the open field for three minutes would honestly say otherwise.

Culain (2/10/2008)

This is the central disconnect between people talking about how overrated McFadden is versus those who are believers. The overwhelming majority of people who watched him game in and game out at Arkansas are emphatic on his greatness whereas folks who are catching up to the draft now on YouTube are saying, "What's the big deal?"

Scouts, Inc. gives one player in this class a 99. It's McFadden. That should tell you everything you need to know about his greatness. On a personal note, I've seen him play over 25 times. There was never a moment where I thought he was overrated. People here have already made the Mustain/**** comment, but it's seminal enough to be reiterated. In the SEC, teams can't run at will if defenses are loaded up to stop it. The o-line could be all-world, but it wouldn't matter. 8 or 9 in the box cancels out 5 on the line. Darren McFadden just had the second best career of any back in the history of the best football conference in America. His resume is not in question.

If you want to argue that he doesn't fit the Falcons or you question his maturity due to the bar fights, that's valid. Saying he is anything other than an SEC legend at his position, however, is a lost cause. That's a foregone conclusion.

Answering the question of is it possible, of course. Teams do stupid things on Draft Day all the time. Levi Brown and Tedd Ginn's overdrafting are perfect examples of this. Is the possibility more than 5%? I doubt it. I am first in line on the Rashard Mendenhall bandwagon to the point that I was begging people to check him out back in October. I think he's a wonderful back with a superstar career ahead of him. He is in no way, shape or form as good as McFadden right now, however. The good news for him is that the odds are that he will get drafted by a better team, so he might have a better start to his career.

When Gosselin comes out, I will be deeply surprised if either of the other two backs is within 10 spots of McFadden. This is a great class for RBs, but he's still head and shoulders above.

jidady (2/10/2008)
Culain (2/10/2008)

Scouts, Inc. gives one player in this class a 99. It's McFadden. That should tell you everything you need to know about his greatness. On a personal note, I've seen him play over 25 times. There was never a moment where I thought he was overrated. People here have already made the Mustain/**** comment, but it's seminal enough to be reiterated. In the SEC, teams can't run at will if defenses are loaded up to stop it. The o-line could be all-world, but it wouldn't matter. 8 or 9 in the box cancels out 5 on the line. Darren McFadden just had the second best career of any back in the history of the best football conference in America. His resume is not in question.

If you want to argue that he doesn't fit the Falcons or you question his maturity due to the bar fights, that's valid. Saying he is anything other than an SEC legend at his position, however, is a lost cause. That's a foregone conclusion.

That was my intention to say that even though he may be a good back he doesn't fit in the Falcons System either on or off the field. He can't stay out of trouble, and I don't like the fact that he is all over the field QB, RB, WR, he just reminds me of a Bush / Norwood runner.

Jidady do you believe he could be a 25 carry a game RB?

I am man enough to admit if I am wrong and on this I could be, I am just trying to understand a Possible draft pick for the Falcons.

Any way it's to bad he can't stay out of trouble.

Dream on, that's very unlikely to happen. MacFadden is the only back in this draft that would be able to start from day 1 and be somewhat successful. All the other backs in this draft are going to have to sit for sometime in their first year. If we draft either Stewart or Mendenhall we are going to have to sign a veteran to carry the offense the first year.

just wondering??

Culain (2/10/2008)

That was my intention to say that even though he may be a good back he doesn't fit in the Falcons System either on or off the field. He can't stay out of trouble, and I don't like the fact that he is all over the field QB, RB, WR, he just reminds me of a Bush / Norwood runner.

I think it's completely valid to be worried about his off the field stuff. I think it's funny more than anything about the piano bar. As I've said before, I picture the whole thing as a scene from Idlewild. But if you believe he might be trouble, that's perfectly understandable. Once is a fluke. Twice might be a trend. With regards to being a Norwood runner, however, that's not valid. Felix Jones is the Norwood on that team. He's a between-the-tackles stud with a ton of power. He just so happens to have speed to burn as well, just as Bo and Herschel did back in the day. McFadden is the total package. His skill set blows me away.

He had 325 carries this year. The only NFL back to have 325 carries was Clinton Portis. And there are obviously more games played in the NFL. 25 carries would be a slow day for him. He's a true bell-cow back.

jidady (2/10/2008)
Culain (2/10/2008)

I think it's completely valid to be worried about his off the field stuff. I think it's funny more than anything about the piano bar. As I've said before, I picture the whole thing as a scene from Idlewild. But if you believe he might be trouble, that's perfectly understandable. Once is a fluke. Twice might be a trend. With regards to being a Norwood runner, however, that's not valid. Felix Jones is the Norwood on that team. He's a between-the-tackles stud with a ton of power. He just so happens to have speed to burn as well, just as Bo and Herschel did back in the day. McFadden is the total package. His skill set blows me away.

He had 325 carries this year. The only NFL back to have 325 carries was Clinton Portis. And there are obviously more games played in the NFL. 25 carries would be a slow day for him. He's a true bell-cow back.

yea thats true. he averages 27 carries in the SEC. i think he can handle 25 carries in the NFL. i think he will average 20.

texasbirdfan (2/10/2008)
McFadden will drop like a rock. It just is a matter now if it will be before the draft, after the campus workouts or on day 1.

i doubt that. you see what hype did for reggie bust and numerous other running backs in draft history. i dont think mcfadden is all hype though. he would be a good addition to this team.