Culain's Offseason and Draft

Culain

Please let me know what you think, You can t fix everything in one season, that s why I didn t select more OL, we need depth so I tried to get some of that as well, I know some will complain about this off-season and draft, you can t make everyone happy but I will try to explain my thinking behind everything.

My first rule would be that everyone has to win their job in training camp.

Cap Casualties: Dunn, Gandy, Forney, Coleman, Anderson, Ojjinika

Not Resigned: Williams, Crocker, Horn, Milloy

Resign: Boley (Can build around him), Clabo (Will be our starting RT for years)

After our last few FA signings I don t like the idea of sinking a lot of money in people.

FA signing: Ken Hamlin (Starting FS), Grady Jackson (really good rotational NT).

Trades / Pay cuts:

Hall will be offered a long term contract but will decline so he gets traded.

Brooking will be asked to take a pay cut if he does great otherwise he is gone.

I am trying for team orientated players that are leaders, and give 100% all the time.

Also none of these players have off field issues that I know of, if I discover they do I replace them with another player.

Draft:

1a. Glenn Dorsey // NT// 6 3 316 (Team Leader) (Immediate Starter) You can substitute Ellis here IMO either would be major success in the NFL, he will rotate with Jackson at NT, Like Lewis he can play both NT and UT

1b. Chad Henne // QB // 6 3 228 (Team Leader) (Starter next season) (Hall Trade)

Some people will say that this is to early for him, I disagree he is now considered the 3rd best QB in the draft, and with playing experience will be able to start next season or maybe even 10 games into this season if needed.

2a. Quinton Groves // OLB-DE // 6 3 250 (Team Leader) (Starter at WLB)

He is a versatile and special player that would add a great pass rush, and could spell Abraham from time to time.

2b. Carl Nicks // G-T // 6 5 343 (Team Leader) (Immediate Starter) at Guard and in time could be a really good Tackle is a good pass protector but is a great run Blocker will be an instant upgrade.

3a. Charles Godfrey // CB // 6 0 208

Will be awesome in the cover 2 he is a big CB that is super fast, will play nickel for a year and I think will take over at CB.

3b. (PK) Matt Forte // RB // 6 2 223 (Immediate Starter) (Team Leader)

Gets stronger as the game goes on will wear down defenses and then we can hit them with Norwood. He is a great receiver out of the Back field and a great blocker probably the most complete back in the draft if he had 4.4 speed I believe he would be the first back taken even before Mcfadden.

4. Jonathan Goff // MLB // 6 2 240 (Immediate Starter) (Team Leader)

Great tackler, very good in coverage, team player, very athletic, and very good pass rusher.

5. Fernando Velasco // C // 6 3 318

McClure is to technically sound to be replaced by a rookie but Velasco should be ready to take over in a couple years when McClure is let go, he can also play guard.

6a. Taylor Mehlhaff // K // 5 10 185

Has a really strong leg kicks a large portion of his kickoffs into the end zone and is very accurate from 40 and 50+

6b. (JG) Brandon Keith // G-T // 6 5 349

Great athletic ability for someone his size, long arms can play tackle but will take some time.

7a. Dexter Jackson // WR-PR // 5 9 178

Very fast and a good route runner with good hands, ST, and PR and KR

7b. (AR) Jason Foster // KR-PR //

Really fast but is to small to be a full time back in the NFL, but his talent will get him here.

UDFA:

Kolo Kapanui // TE // 6 3 271

Has the skill to take over a game but was hurt a lot good blocker excellent receiver.

Xavier Lee // QB // 6 4 232

Has great physical ability but will be a project

Tony Burks // WR // 6 4 220

He s pretty fast for his size

Offense //

QB- Redman, Harrington, Henne

RB- Forte , Norwood

FB- Ovie, Snelling

TE- Crumpler, Kapanui

WR- White, Robinson, Jenkins, Jackson,

LT- Weiner, Foster, Nicks

LG- Blaylock

OC- McClure, Velasco

RG- Nicks, Quarterman

RT- Clabo, Foster,

Starting Defense //

RDE- John Abraham

NT- Glenn Dorsey

UT- Trey Lewis

LDE- Jamal Anderson

SLB- Michael Boley

MLB- Jonathan Goff

WLB- Quinton Groves

LCB- Chris Houston

RCB- Jimmy Williams

FS- Ken Hamlin

SS- Darren Stone

K- Taylor Mehlhaff

P- Mike Keonen (sp)

KR- Jayson Foster

PR- Dexter Jackson

Dem Birds Can Fly (2/10/2008)
Who was the Anderson that was a cap casualty? If you mean Morton, it's spelled Andersen. I thought you were talking about Jamaal, I almost stopped reading.

it cant be Mort, because Mort only has a 1 year deal. i do not like it for a play action/run oriented offense. Harrington has proven that he cant manage a game. Redman, gray, and Shockley. we do not need to draft a QB with that lineup.

GEORGIAfan (2/10/2008)
Who was the Anderson that was a cap casualty? If you mean Morton, it's spelled Andersen. I thought you were talking about Jamaal, I almost stopped reading.

it cant be Mort, because Mort only has a 1 year deal. i do not like it for a play action/run oriented offense. Harrington has proven that he cant manage a game. Redman, gray, and Shockley. we do not need to draft a QB with that lineup.

Ok let me get this correct, you are suggesting that we shouldn't draft a QB because of Shockley, Gray, and Redman?

A guy that just 2 years ago was selling Insurance, a lifetime backup thats never started a game and probably never will, and a mediocre backup from the Jags that has only started a few games been ok but nothing to brag about?

Is that what you are suggesting ?

It was Morton, not Jamal

I believe Jamal will have a much better season this year.

Culain (2/10/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/10/2008)

Ok let me get this correct, you are suggesting that we shouldn't draft a QB because of Shockley, Gray, and Redman?

A guy that just 2 years ago was selling Insurance, a lifetime backup thats never started a game and probably never will, and a mediocre backup from the Jags that has only started a few games been ok but nothing to brag about?

Is that what you are suggesting ?

but you want to keep Joey "The Curse" Harrington on this team are you crazy?

i would rather have Shockley as the second stringer being since he has not had the chance to fully show his abilities Harrington on the other hand has had the chance and has flunked with flying colors every time Harrington should be out of the NFL and be working at a gas station maybe he cant curse them as bad as he does the NFL teams he has played for

Harrington knows the new OC system as he ran it in Miami, he might be able to speed along the learning curve for everyone.

As I have said many times every position should be won in TC if Shockley can win a Position then I have no problems with him being on the team, but I think he only started one year in college and had a severe injury in pros he is having to come back from, this will also be his second system in the pros.

I personally don't care who the starting QB is as long as they give us the best chance to win and Shockley has alot stacked against him.

I believe they should pull the jersey numbers off during TC and field the best players.

Richard Nixon (2/10/2008)
Jesus Christ, Redman and Forte starting in the backfield? That's not an impressive pair of starters in Conference USA.

I have wasted too much unnecessary energy in this pissing contest with you.

I will not waste anymore of my time on you. If you decide some day that you actually have something to say then I might respond, but until that day leave my posts alone and I will do the same.

Guest Libid21

1a. Glenn Dorsey // NT or Sedrick Ellis // UT Great pick.

1b. Chad Henne // QB // 6'3 225 I like him, but we can get him a little later maybe with Houston' second rounder.

2a. Quinton Groves // OLB // 6'3 250_4.4 Decent player, but red flag personality and might not fit the 4-3 Smith has in mind.

2b. Carl Nicks // RG-RT // 6'5 343 Good tackle.

3a. Charles Godfrey // CB // 6'0 208_ 4.35 Decent cornerback.

3b. Matt Forte' // RB // 6'2 223_ 4.5 Great pick.

4. Jonathan Goff // MLB // 6'2 240_ 4.6 Good linebacker. Fits Smith's idea of a middle linebacker too, good pick.

5. Fernando Velasco // C // 6'3 318 Much too early IMO. I see him more of a guard than anything else too. Try bringing him down to the sixth round.

6a. Taylor Mehlhaff // K // 5'10 185 Top kicker IMO, but will probably be there in the seventh.

6b. Brandon Keith //OT-OG // 6'5 349 Eh... depth pick I guess. I'd rather us draft in this situation for DL instead of OL.

7a. Dexter Jackson // WR-PR // 5'9 178_ 4.32 He will never fall here. He will raise his stock even higher in the Combine and will most likely be drafted around the fourth or fifth round.

7b. Jayson Foster // KR // 5'9 165_ 4.29 Don't get it. Why get two KRs? Spend a pick on either a DL or OL for depth and for emergency backups. Jackson can PR and KR.

Not as bad as people were saying here, but I don't think it's really that good.

I am seeing a lot of good solid thinking on these boards lately. I am going to attribute it to the Dimitroff effect. Before the TD hiring, most of the posters were going after high profile "star" guys. Now, there is a concerted effort to build a true team with quality along both lines.

The only problem I have with your mock is with the Henne choice in the first round. If we trade Hall for a first rounder, we must ensure that we have a good FS to handle the Cover-2. You have done that by signing Hamlin. But, taking Henne in the first round is not only a huge reach, it is a major gamble.

I would use that first rounder for a LT prospect, like Ryan Clady. I would also try to trade a second rounder this year and our second rounder next season for Derek Anderson. This is not my original idea, guys like Dill and Draftnut have mentioned such a trade in the past. Anderson is obviously a good starter and using second rounders in that trade would enable us to build an OL to protect him.

I can't argue much with the rest of your mock. We need a upgrades at OC and RG. Velasco and Nicks are good candidates.

Good job.

Culain (2/10/2008)
Richard Nixon (2/10/2008)
Jesus Christ, Redman and Forte starting in the backfield? That's not an impressive pair of starters in Conference USA.

I have wasted too much unnecessary energy in this pissing contest with you.

I will not waste anymore of my time on you. If you decide some day that you actually have something to say then I might respond, but until that day leave my posts alone and I will do the same.

That's all well and good, but this is still a horrible plan.

I see all these threads assuming that we just go down to the Kroger and pick up a Ken Hamlin. LOL

He will be one of the 2 or 3 highest paid FA, IF, Jerry Jones doesn't sign him to a huge deal. Hamlin is the #1 priority here in Dallas- not a Flozell Adams. Hamlin is young and an All-Pro. The bidding on him will go sky high and somehow I don't think that's Dimitroff's style

Culain (2/10/2008)
Please let me know what you think, You can t fix everything in one season, that s why I didn t select more OL, we need depth so I tried to get some of that as well, I know some will complain about this off-season and draft, you can t make everyone happy but I will try to explain my thinking behind everything.

Cap Casualties: Dunn, Gandy, Forney, Coleman, Anderson, OjjinikaAgreed

Not Resigned: Williams, Crocker, Horn, Milloyagreed, although i think Milloy has more years left on contract and I might keep Milloy one more year - cut Horn, he has two more years left but he's gotta go - should never have been signed -another bonehead McKay free agent signing

Resign: Boley (Can build around him), Clabo (Will be our starting RT for years)total agreement here, i would also re-sign Redman for 1-2 more years - he earned it and would be solid back-up

After our last few FA signings I don t like the idea of sinking a lot of money in people.

FA signing: Ken Hamlin (Starting FS), Grady Jackson (really good rotational NT).would like to see both of these but would also like to see an OT signing like Jordan Gross or Max Starks - if i had to choose between Gross/Starks or Hamlin, i would take the OT.

Trades / Pay cuts:

Brooking will be asked to take a pay cut if he does great otherwise he is gone.agree with this, Brooking has to take a 40% paycut - it still would be more than what he would get in the open mkt. if we cut him - Brooking is grossly overpaid

I am trying for team orientated players that are leaders, and give 100% all the time.

Also none of these players have off field issues that I know of, if I discover they do I replace them with another player.

Draft:

1a. Glenn Dorsey // NT// 6 3 316 (Team Leader) (Immediate Starter) You can substitute Ellis here IMO either would be major success in the NFL, he will rotate with Jackson at NT, Like Lewis he can play both NT and UTI want to feel more comfortable about Dorsey's health before I take him - I like Jake Long and Sedrick Ellis more

1b. Chad Henne // QB // 6 3 228 (Team Leader) (Starter next season) (Hall Trade)

Some people will say that this is to early for him, I disagree he is now considered the 3rd best QB in the draft, and with playing experience will be able to start next season or maybe even 10 games into this season if needed.I'm on board with Henne but not in the first round - and if I traded D-Hall, I might use this pick for his replacement - say Dominque Rogers Cromartie or an OT

He is a versatile and special player that would add a great pass rush, and could spell Abraham from time to time. not interested in this guy at all - don't need a 'tweener' which is what Groves may be.

2b. Carl Nicks // G-T // 6 5 343 (Team Leader) (Immediate Starter) at Guard and in time could be a really good Tackle is a good pass protector but is a great run Blocker will be an instant upgrade.with your plan, this is our biggest offensive line acquisition - this guy is a decent player but not nearly good enough

Will be awesome in the cover 2 he is a big CB that is super fast, will play nickel for a year and I think will take over at CB.not a bad pick......i like Phillip Wheeler at this spot

Gets stronger as the game goes on will wear down defenses and then we can hit them with Norwood. He is a great receiver out of the Back field and a great blocker probably the most complete back in the draft if he had 4.4 speed I believe he would be the first back taken even before Mcfadden.good pick - he better be able to run at least a 4.5/40 though

Great tackler, very good in coverage, team player, very athletic, and very good pass rusher. good pick

McClure is to technically sound to be replaced by a rookie but Velasco should be ready to take over in a couple years when McClure is let go, he can also play guard.good pick, one round to early though

Has a really strong leg kicks a large portion of his kickoffs into the end zone and is very accurate from 40 and 50+about the right spot for a kicker - don't know about this one

Great athletic ability for someone his size, long arms can play tackle but will take some time.great size, don't know who he is though

Very fast and a good route runner with good hands, ST, and PR and KRgreat pick but he will go at least two rounds earlier - love him as kr/pr and 3rd wr in the slot.

Really fast but is to small to be a full time back in the NFL, but his talent will get him here.

UDFA:

Has the skill to take over a game but was hurt a lot good blocker excellent receiver.

Offense //

RB- Forte , Norwood

FB- Ovie, Snelling

TE- Crumpler, Kapanui

LG- Blaylock

OC- McClure, Velasco

RG- Nicks, Quarterman

RT- Clabo, Foster,

Starting Defense //

RDE- John Abraham

NT- Glenn Dorsey

UT- Trey Lewis

LDE- Jamal Anderson

SLB- Michael Boley

MLB- Jonathan Goff

WLB- Quinton Groves

LCB- Chris Houston

RCB- Jimmy Williams

FS- Ken Hamlin

SS- Darren Stone

K- Taylor Mehlhaff

P- Mike Keonen (sp)

KR- Jayson Foster

PR- Dexter Jackson

Culain (2/10/2008)

Cap Casualties: Dunn, Gandy, Forney, Coleman, Anderson, Ojjinika

Not Resigned: Williams, Crocker, Horn, Milloy

Resign: Boley (Can build around him), Clabo (Will be our starting RT for years)

FA signing: Ken Hamlin (Starting FS), Grady Jackson (really good rotational NT).

Trades / Pay cuts:

Brooking will be asked to take a pay cut if he does great otherwise he is gone.

Draft:

1a. Glenn Dorsey // NT// 6 3 316 (Team Leader) (Immediate Starter) You can substitute Ellis here IMO either would be major success in the NFL, he will rotate with Jackson at NT, Like Lewis he can play both NT and UT

Some people will say that this is to early for him, I disagree he is now considered the 3rd best QB in the draft, and with playing experience will be able to start next season or maybe even 10 games into this season if needed.

He is a versatile and special player that would add a great pass rush, and could spell Abraham from time to time.

2b. Carl Nicks // G-T // 6 5 343 (Team Leader) (Immediate Starter) at Guard and in time could be a really good Tackle is a good pass protector but is a great run Blocker will be an instant upgrade.

Will be awesome in the cover 2 he is a big CB that is super fast, will play nickel for a year and I think will take over at CB.

Gets stronger as the game goes on will wear down defenses and then we can hit them with Norwood. He is a great receiver out of the Back field and a great blocker probably the most complete back in the draft if he had 4.4 speed I believe he would be the first back taken even before Mcfadden.

Great tackler, very good in coverage, team player, very athletic, and very good pass rusher.

McClure is to technically sound to be replaced by a rookie but Velasco should be ready to take over in a couple years when McClure is let go, he can also play guard.

Has a really strong leg kicks a large portion of his kickoffs into the end zone and is very accurate from 40 and 50+

Great athletic ability for someone his size, long arms can play tackle but will take some time.

Very fast and a good route runner with good hands, ST, and PR and KR

UDFA:

Offense //

RB- Forte , Norwood

FB- Ovie, Snelling

TE- Crumpler, Kapanui

LG- Blaylock

OC- McClure, Velasco

RG- Nicks, Quarterman

RT- Clabo, Foster,

Starting Defense //

RDE- John Abraham

NT- Glenn Dorsey

UT- Trey Lewis

LDE- Jamal Anderson

SLB- Michael Boley

MLB- Jonathan Goff

WLB- Quinton Groves

LCB- Chris Houston

RCB- Jimmy Williams

FS- Ken Hamlin

SS- Darren Stone

K- Taylor Mehlhaff

P- Mike Keonen (sp)

KR- Jayson Foster

PR- Dexter Jackson

ok if we have a second first round pick they will not take henne i bet that it would be brian brohm (if hes there) if not they will go differently bcause henne is not a first round pick i think he is a little overhyped right now ive see nhis games to me he is not what everyone else around here thinks he is