This is what the Falcons should do about QB

boss hogg

I think its safe to say that the Falcons will address the QB position at some point this offseason, draft or free agency. Here's something to think about.

The Cleveland Browns do not have a first round pick this year. Their first pick in the draft is 2nd round #57 overall. They have a pretty good offense but their defense was 30th overall and their old. It looks like there is a good chance QB Derek Anderson will sign a new deal with Cleveland. Only time will tell, but if he does, I think the Falcons should take a shot a getting Brady Quinn. Here is my logic:

Send Cleveland our two second round picks in exchange for Brady Quinn and their current third round pick.

Our two picks (#36 and #49...if we win first toss) = 950 value chart pts (540+410)

Brady Quinn (#22 pick overall last year) and third rd pick (#88 overall) = 930 value. pts

- This leaves Cleveland with three second round picks to address their defensive needs

-The Falcons would still have their 1st round pick and would be in a great position to take offers to trade down on draft day or just use it on OL or DL. In addition, that would leave the Falcons with, most likely, three third round picks if you include a compensatory pick for Patrick Kerney.

My think in this whole think is that Brady Quinn is a better QB prospect than anyone in this year's draft or free agency in terms of the future of the franchise. Some people might disagree and that's debatable. Either way, I don't think this scenario is too far fetched.

boss hogg (2/9/2008)
I think its safe to say that the Falcons will address the QB position at some point this offseason, draft or free agency. Here's something to think about.

The Cleveland Browns do not have a first round pick this year. Their first pick in the draft is 2nd round #57 overall. They have a pretty good offense but their defense was 30th overall and their old. It looks like there is a good chance QB Derek Anderson will sign a new deal with Cleveland. Only time will tell, but if he does, I think the Falcons should take a shot a getting Brady Quinn. Here is my logic:

Send Cleveland our two second round picks in exchange for Brady Quinn and their current third round pick.

Our two picks (#36 and #49...if we win first toss) = 950 value chart pts (540+410)

Brady Quinn (#22 pick overall last year) and third rd pick (#88 overall) = 930 value. pts

- This leaves Cleveland with three second round picks to address their defensive needs

-The Falcons would still have their 1st round pick and would be in a great position to take offers to trade down on draft day or just use it on OL or DL. In addition, that would leave the Falcons with, most likely, three third round picks if you include a compensatory pick for Patrick Kerney.

My think in this whole think is that Brady Quinn is a better QB prospect than anyone in this year's draft or free agency in terms of the future of the franchise. Some people might disagree and that's debatable. Either way, I don't think this scenario is too far fetched.

What has Brady quinn done to prove he is worth 2 2nds?? NOTHING. i say we keep our Picks and BUILD OUR TEAM. we are more run oriented, so we need a game manager/4th quarter star, and that DJ Shockley, but it could be Redman or Gray

boss hogg (2/9/2008)

i love it. but i'd rather do a 2nd this year and next year's second.

I'll put it to you this way GeorgiaFan. Brady Quinn and D.J. Shockley have done about the same thus far. NOTHING. But whatever Quinn did warranted him a first round pick #22 overall in the NFL draft and whatever Shockley did warranted him a seventh round pick #223 overall in the NFL Draft. Dude, we all know you are the President of the D.J. Shockley fan club :P but, once again, be realistic....he is a 7th round pick in his third year, in his third offense, with his third coordinator coming off a torn ACL!

FalconFanatic!!!! (2/9/2008)
thats crazy brady is just as unproven as the rookies coming out why not draft a qb in the 2nd and still have another pic

Or better yet, judging by your pictures of Vick all over your profile, why don't we just wait for Michael Vick to get out of jail :w00t:

boss hogg (2/9/2008)

Not the worst idea I've heard. Although, I don't think that he's worth 2 seconds. Maybe a 2nd this year, next year, and 2010 though...

I don't like it at all.

I would prefer leftwich over quinn. at least leftwich has taken a team to the playoffs.

we have too many hole to fill to go giving up 2 high picks this year.

and when you have a player you can't value him at his draft spot you value him as a player. That player could have been a 6th round pick like brady...do you value him along that scale? I think not. Besides that, I just don't think that he is the answer. He couldn't even start on his own team.

trubirdfan4life (2/9/2008)
I don't like it at all.

I would prefer leftwich over quinn. at least leftwich has taken a team to the playoffs.

we have too many hole to fill to go giving up 2 high picks this year.

and when you have a player you can't value him at his draft spot you value him as a player. That player could have been a 6th round pick like brady...do you value him along that scale? I think not. Besides that, I just don't think that he is the answer. He couldn't even start on his own team.

I'll give you one more chance. Are you actually saying that Mike Smith should hang his hat on Byron Leftwich? :w00t: That is hilarious. You mean Byron Leftwich...the guy who hasn't played a full season yet in his NFL career? You mean Byron Leftwich who got cut last year by the same team that employed our current head coach? Give me a break

red2play (2/9/2008)
Its so crazy that people want to throw away picks to get a popular name. Get Brady Quinn, Why? because he has a recognizable name.

Even the CLEVELAND BROWNS have him on the bench. Hello McFly!!

Once again...here is an obvious case of not reading the ENTIRE post before you reply! So, what I said was "my thinking in this whole thing is that Brady Quinn is a better QB prospect than anyone in this year's draft or free agency in terms of the future of the franchise. Some people might disagree and that's debatable. Either way, I don't think this scenario is too far fetched."

What the heck does recognizable name have to do with it? NOTHING...Grow up

I have faith in Redman. He has never been proven to be a bad QB, he just had a major back injury that forced him out of football. He has the arm strength, he has accuracy, he has timing, he can move in the pocket. He can fit into pretty much any offense.

If Redman isn't the answer go with a FA, Draft, or see how Shockley works out. As of now though, nothing I have seen shows me that he cannot do well.

boss hogg (2/9/2008)
FalconFanatic!!!! (2/9/2008)
thats crazy brady is just as unproven as the rookies coming out why not draft a qb in the 2nd and still have another pic

Or better yet, judging by your pictures of Vick all over your profile, why don't we just wait for Michael Vick to get out of jail :w00t:

*fake laugh* Excuse me bruh dat wasn't even funny so you know you can get off the stage:laugh: Now dats a real joke lol

I have faith in Redman. He has never been proven to be a bad QB, he just had a major back injury that forced him out of football. He has the arm strength, he has accuracy, he has timing, he can move in the pocket. He can fit into pretty much any offense.

If Redman isn't the answer go with a FA, Draft, or see how Shockley works out. As of now though, nothing I have seen shows me that he cannot do well.

He can run any offense?The ravens let him go because?I dont get that much confidence in redman.It will be interesting to see if they waive one of the qbs soon.

what is it with everybody's dislike of trading for Brady Quinn? Everybody seems to hate this guy for some reason, but it's hard to figure out why. He's easily better than any quarterback in this draft.

1. a great blend of size and speed

2. can launch tha ball as far as any out there

3. is accurately accurate

4. has played at one of tha most storied colleges in tha world

5. who was on that notre dame team, again?

6. has already sat out a year to get a "feel for tha game"

7. preseason or not, he's taken snaps in tha league and looked pretty good in do so.

i'm cool with redman. I love how he led this team those last 4 games. but you're telling me that trading one of our 2nd rounders this year (a pick many want to use on a qb), and a 2nd rounder next year for Brady Quinn is a bad idea????

thakrunk1 (2/10/2008)
what is it with everybody's dislike of trading for Brady Quinn? Everybody seems to hate this guy for some reason, but it's hard to figure out why. He's easily better than any quarterback in this draft.

1. a great blend of size and speed

2. can launch tha ball as far as any out there

3. is accurately accurate

4. has played at one of tha most storied colleges in tha world

5. who was on that notre dame team, again?

6. has already sat out a year to get a "feel for tha game"

7. preseason or not, he's taken snaps in tha league and looked pretty good in do so.

i'm cool with redman. I love how he led this team those last 4 games. but you're telling me that trading one of our 2nd rounders this year (a pick many want to use on a qb), and a 2nd rounder next year for Brady Quinn is a bad idea????

the browns will trade anderson before quinn. they still think brady is the future. either way they arent letting either of them go until possibly 09 or 10. adam schefter said it is possible, but highly unlikely that they will shop anderson this offseason. if they do i expect it will be in the draft.

the browns will trade anderson before quinn. they still think brady is the future. either way they arent letting either of them go until possibly 09 or 10. adam schefter said it is possible, but highly unlikely that they will shop anderson this offseason. if they do i expect it will be in the draft.

Derek Anderson becomes a restricted free agent Feb 29th. The Browns extended him an offer on 1/28/08. He is yet to sign it. If he doesn't sign, the Browns will most likely tender him at the highest level. This means any team that wants him will have to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick to get him. He will probably not sign unless it is a long term deal...especially with Quinn on the bench behind him. If he does sign though, I'm sure they would entertain offers for Quinn even though their management has said they would love to start next season with both QBs on their roster.