Here's the part I don't get.....

JDaveG

All the right wing talk radio pundits (in particular Limbaugh, Hannity, Ingraham and Levin) were whining and moaning about the supposed "alliance" between McCain and Huckabee, where Huckabee was "blatently helping" McCain get the nomination so he would be VP, right? I remember Sean Hannity saying that "it is obvious that McCain and Huckabee are involved in this underhanded scheme to deny Romney the nomination" and all such crap. So here's the question:

If McCain and Huckabee are aligned to get McCain the nomination, and Romney dropped out to SUPPORT McCAIN, why is Huckabee still in the race?

Anyone who bought that conspiracy crap, please help me out with that one, because it doesn't make sense.

That is all.

Steve_Bartkowski (2/9/2008)
That's completely true. If there was a McCain - Huckabee alliance then Huckabee would have already dropped out. Huckabee is still trying to win! (ie...BEAT McCain)

The only alliance that exists is that McCain and Huckabee both respect each other. But make no mistake, they are BOTH trying to win their party's nomination. McCain saw Romney as a bigger threat than Huckabee hence the West Virginia thing...

Exactly. By my count, that's strike 2 for Hannity and Co.

And they are 2 huge, off-balance whiffs nowhere near the ball, not homeruns that were pulled past the foul pole.

It's sad to watch them make such idiots of themselves. Funny! But sad. I actually used to enjoy listening to some of these folks (Levin gets on my nerves). Laura Ingraham gave a very good speech at an awards banquet at our school once, and even lit up the most liberal professor there several times ("....it's in the Constitution, Professor X. I have a copy if you'd like to see it......"). Now, they're eating their own young.

Steve_Bartkowski (2/9/2008)
And if conservatives haven't voted yet and still want a conservative candidate, they will vote for Huckabee. Contrary to what the media says, Huckabee STILL has a shot. As we have seen Huckabee has been winning a lot of the southern states and there are still several southern states in play like Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Louisiana, Kansas, etc... If Huckabee wins those states then we have a race on our hands...

I agree that Huckabee is the best conservative choice, but I do not concede that McCain is not a conservative candidate. He is a different TYPE of conservative, but to call him a liberal (not that you have done this, but the aforementioned pundits have) is just dead wrong.

Jack Kemp would not endorse a liberal. To call McCain a liberal (and Kemp a liar, as Hannity did the other day) is to redefine what a liberal is (and, for that matter, what a liar is). McCain is not a Republican lapdog. He does not walk in lockstep. But he IS a conservative. He just happens to be a deficit hawk first, anti-big money in politics, etc. Again, Jack Kemp would not endorse a candidate that does not understand supply side economics. Kemp is THE supply side guru in the Republican party. No one else comes close to his depth and breadth of knowledge on the subject, and no one else can articulate it as well as he can. McCain is also a defense hawk and an ardent pro-lifer. I disagree with him on a few narrow, key issues, including gun control, which happens to be an issue I care deeply about and have withheld my vote over. But that doesn't make him a liberal.

It just makes him wrong for supporting new gun laws that have been proven not to work.

With McCain's overall record, he's entitled to be wrong on a couple of issues. ****, Romney's been wrong on **** near all of them and these folks were tripping all over themselves to annoint him the savior of the conservative movement!

I think Huckabee wants to see how he does in a one-on-one race with McCain. He did pretty good last week in a 3-way race, and he just wants to see how he fares this week.

Remember what happened in '76 when Reagan won a couple states there after Super Tuesday...he picked up a ton of momentum and started a string of victories and took it all the way to the convention. I don't see that happening here....I think if McCain wins 4 or 5 of these primaries in the next few days, Huckabee will pull out.

Suppo81 (2/9/2008)
I think Huckabee wants to see how he does in a one-on-one race with McCain. He did pretty good last week in a 3-way race, and he just wants to see how he fares this week.

Remember what happened in '76 when Reagan won a couple states there after Super Tuesday...he picked up a ton of momentum and started a string of victories and took it all the way to the convention. I don't see that happening here....I think if McCain wins 4 or 5 of these primaries in the next few days, Huckabee will pull out.

I think he will as well. The question is, if he is trying to help McCain get the nomination (as was alleged), why hasn't he already?

IOW, my question is no more than an assertion that Rush/Hannity/Laura/Levin are lying blowhards who would rather slander John McCain AND Mike Huckabee than tell the truth and risk their guy "losing." I don't know WHY they feel compelled to lie (my guess is they hate McCain), but they do.

JDaveG (2/9/2008)
Suppo81 (2/9/2008)

I think he will as well. The question is, if he is trying to help McCain get the nomination (as was alleged), why hasn't he already?

IOW, my question is no more than an assertion that Rush/Hannity/Laura/Levin are lying blowhards who would rather slander John McCain AND Mike Huckabee than tell the truth and risk their guy "losing." I don't know WHY they feel compelled to lie (my guess is they hate McCain), but they do.

They hate McCain for one main reason, IMO.....he works with democrats a lot in the Senate. A lot of his bills are co-sponsored with democrats. God forbid one of their own candidates tries to work with others accross party lines. The fact he's liberal? Heck, GW Bush is probably more liberal than McCain is, yet they put their full support behind the guy. The immigration bill is another factor, but McCain has said a number of times now that was a mistake and he now supports securing borders first. But conservatives let that fly over their heads.

As for Huckabee, I don't buy the whole conspiracy theory some in the media have tried to illustrate. I do think there's an alliance there with the two, but it's not in a conspiratory way. I think Huckabee's goal was to outlast Romney. To him that's a victory, that he has no money whatsoever and just outlasted a guy who pulls millions out of his ears.

is Mitt completely out of the race?? some one told he is is on hold, and what does that mean?? Im rooting for McCain. im a Dem, but the economy is in deep doo doo, and if Obama cant bring it back, then i think that will hurt peoples idea of having a black/female president, so id rather have McCain, because i think he is the most liberal of the Reps.