The Cardinals fully anticipate letting LB Calvin Pace hit the free agent market.

The Cardinals fully anticipate letting OLB Calvin Pace hit the free agent market.

GM Rod Graves called re-signing Pace a priority back in January, but the Cardinals can't afford to franchise Karlos Dansby and lock up both Pace and Larry Fitzgerald with lucrative contracts. A 2003 first-round pick once thought to be a bust, Pace set career highs for tackles (97) and sacks (6) in 2007.

Calvin Pace

6'4 270lbs

2007 stats: 98 tackles....6.5 sacks....1 int....1 FF

Should we try to sign him......Since Coach Smith hinted towards us playing a 4-3 and 3-4 type cover 2 D(like the patriots)

pace.gif

swiftkick (2/9/2008)
they are going to have a tough off season cause they have to franchise Dansby and offer Fitzgerald a riducloius contract cause he is owed some big time money

Well, I dont see how that would be an issue for them...the only person on the team 'taking money' some would say is Edge.

Edge isnt bad, but he isnt worth the money they are paying him.

He's a fine player (or he's a guy who had a fine year, one or the other), but it's generally a mistake for 4-3 teams to play OLBs a lot of money. This is the reason I don't expect us to get in on Briggs, either. In the 4-3, the Will and Sam are chasers and cleaners. Those aren't hard tasks and shouldn't be tying up a lot of cap space. We're already going to pay Boley a ton -- and he has certainly earned it -- so we shouldn't be giving a huge contract to a guy on the other side. Linemen who can keep them clean from trash are where the money should go.

jidady (2/10/2008)
He's a fine player (or he's a guy who had a fine year, one or the other), but it's generally a mistake for 4-3 teams to play OLBs a lot of money. This is the reason I don't expect us to get in on Briggs, either. In the 4-3, the Will and Sam are chasers and cleaners. Those aren't hard tasks and shouldn't be tying up a lot of cap space. We're already going to pay Boley a ton -- and he has certainly earned it -- so we shouldn't be giving a huge contract to a guy on the other side. Linemen who can keep them clean from trash are where the money should go.

I agree. I think he would be better in a 3-4 but I'm not so sure if he's a one year wonder. I think it would be a better idea to look elsewhere instead of giving him a big deal.

karlos dansby is better.

pace is good, but hes better suited for 3-4 (like demarcus ware). Mike smith is more of a traditional 4-3 defense. If we would have hired rex ryan, then we could have probably used pace.

I like pace, he's a good player, but I j ust dont know if he'd fit our scheme