Has Thomas Dimitroff passed his first GM test?

It is unlikely that anyone who posts on this message board truly has any authentic inside info regarding the Flowery Branch decision making process. However, it is thought that the Falcons new general manager, Thomas Dimitroff, was key in the hiring of the Falcons new head coach, Mike Smith. Smith was chosen - much to the displeasure of many posters on this board - without waiting for Steve Spagnuolo or Jason Garrett to complete their "Will I or Won't I" routines, or the hiring of some retread coach, with "experience" but of dubious worth (think Norm Turner).

Especially in light of the trials and tribulations currently being experienced by the Washington Redskins regarding the selection of a new head coach, the hiring of Smith now looks like a stroke of brilliance. (At lease publicly, Dimitroff and Smith are saying things that are pleasing to my ears.)

It's going to be very interesting to see what the Falcons do come draft time. Dimitroff has apparently established a strong presence in Falcons headquarters and has gained the confidence of Blank and others. Heck, Dimitroff might actually be able to distinguish between players with actual ability over some flash-in-the-pan college star.

Reflecting on the previous season, perhaps it is true: that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The Vick/Petrino debacles have forced the Falcons to reevaluate almost everything and head into a new direction. I truly believe the next few seasons will see the Falcons rise to prominence in the NFL.

thats a good attitude to have and i am right there with you, maybe not prominence mind you, but certainly improvement. TD and Smith are right on the same page, and together they will have the final say in every draft selection we make, and i assume they will both be working together very closely to determine what free agents to sign or pursue. that is just what i want and im not sure that ever happened with petrino/mckay or mora/mckay, and even if it happened with them im not sure it meant much, especially considering TD was the director of college scouting for the patriots.

thats just my opinion, but i love the GM and HC moves, the OC and DC moves i am undecided on, especially because our DC reminds me of petrino too much for my liking, but i hope that that is just paranoia.

Nice post. As of now, TD has sign a good coach and coaching staff. We will probably have a under .500 season for a few more year. After that I think we will be able to compete with anyone. Its time to his draft choice.

1. Ellis

2. Gorder Cherilus

2. Joe Flacco

3. Jamal Charles

4. Tom Zbikowski

4. Jacob Hester

5. Brandon Coutu

6. Eddie Royal

6. Barry Richardson

7. Fernado Velasco

That would be a very good and probably most productive draft.

falcon_freddie (2/9/2008)
It is unlikely that anyone who posts on this message board truly has any authentic inside info regarding the Flowery Branch decision making process. However, it is thought that the Falcons new general manager, Thomas Dimitroff, was key in the hiring of the Falcons new head coach, Mike Smith. Smith was chosen - much to the displeasure of many posters on this board - without waiting for Steve Spagnuolo or Jason Garrett to complete their "Will I or Won't I" routines, or the hiring of some retread coach, with "experience" but of dubious worth (think Norm Turner).

Especially in light of the trials and tribulations currently being experienced by the Washington Redskins regarding the selection of a new head coach, the hiring of Smith now looks like a stroke of brilliance. (At lease publicly, Dimitroff and Smith are saying things that are pleasing to my ears.)

It's going to be very interesting to see what the Falcons do come draft time. Dimitroff has apparently established a strong presence in Falcons headquarters and has gained the confidence of Blank and others. Heck, Dimitroff might actually be able to distinguish between players with actual ability over some flash-in-the-pan college star.

Reflecting on the previous season, perhaps it is true: that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The Vick/Petrino debacles have forced the Falcons to reevaluate almost everything and head into a new direction. I truly believe the next few seasons will see the Falcons rise to prominence in the NFL.

now we have to wonder if he brought a spycam with him, with all the media hype on the patriots

Reflecting on the previous season, perhaps it is true: that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The Vick/Petrino debacles have forced the Falcons to reevaluate almost everything and head into a new direction.

WE TRULY DON'T KNOW WHICH DIRECTION THEY ARE GOING. BUT I THINK IN THE END IT WILL BE GOOD. WE'VE HAD TO DEAL WITH SO MUCH BAD ........ IT'S TIME FOR THE GOOD:)

(2/9/2008)
Hiring Mike Smith as head coach was not a good move. The defense of the Jags were the worst this past year than it has been in a while.

Are you on crack? He has run a top tier defense since he became DC in 2003. He was also the LB coach for the Ravens during their Superbowl winning year.

Every player in the Jacksonville has said good or GREAT things about him. The only negative words have come from Wiley, who has bad mouthed EVERYONE and EVERY TEAM he has ever worked with.

The Falcon Ace (2/9/2008)
(2/9/2008)
Hiring Mike Smith as head coach was not a good move. The defense of the Jags were the worst this past year than it has been in a while.

Are you on crack? He has run a top tier defense since he became DC in 2003. He was also the LB coach for the Ravens during their Superbowl winning year.

Every player in the Jacksonville has said good or GREAT things about him. The only negative words have come from Wiley, who has bad mouthed EVERYONE and EVERY TEAM he has ever worked with.

True, FA. I do hope everyone noticed that once Wiley realized he was getting absolutely NO support in his opinion about Mike Smith, Wiley quickly changed the subject and fell silent about Smith. Obviously, all Wiley wanted to do was to get some notice being a contrarian about the Smith hire, whether or not his viewpoint was valid.

We won't actually know until after the draft and FA.

(2/9/2008)

Coach Smith might not be the #1 choice by all Falcon fans and ESPN. No he is not one of the glamor coaching candidates to interview for the HC job, but he wanted to be here. I do not see him using the team and bailing out in the middle of the night to coach at Arkansas.

According to Rod Woodson on NFL Access the man was a teacher when they were with the Ravens. Having a coach that can teach veterans and young players is something since Dan Reeves was fired.

The Falcon Ace (2/10/2008)
Tetsu, please change your sig. My sig is long, but I don't have 3+ pictures that make it so you have to scroll side to side if you want read what someone wrote.

EDIT: Was long, do to lack of time and not wanting to have a sig over 100 lines long I have ended the True Fan List.

The scrolling down does not bother me nearly as much as having to scroll side to side just to read the post, and to see the screen name of the poster. His sig is so ridiculous that most of the time I don't even read anything he posts in. As far as I know, it's the only sig on the board like this. (maybe the kidgolden arm guy too w/all the cartoons)