Something I've always wondered

capologist

Ok, we've all seen hotels, Dairy Queens, convenience stores, etc. owned by Indians, Middle Easterners, etc. It's also common knowledge that our government gives them Federal aid to open their business.

What was the reasoning behind these grants? I've always been curious but never got a straight answer.

Also, why are these grants given to immigrants instead of those who were born here?

Any ideas?

capologist (2/9/2008)
Ok, we've all seen hotels, Dairy Queens, convenience stores, etc. owned by Indians, Middle Easterners, etc. It's also common knowledge that our government gives them Federal aid to open their business.

What was the reasoning behind these grants? I've always been curious but never got a straight answer.

Also, why are these grants given to immigrants instead of those who were born here?

Any ideas?

I would have to actually read the regulations on the grant you're referring to. There are billions of dollars in grant money for everybody so whatever money is marked specifically for those that immigrate and become citizens is probably a fraction of what's available for those born in the US.

july425 (2/9/2008)

I would have to actually read the regulations on the grant you're referring to. There are billions of dollars in grant money for everybody so whatever money is marked specifically for those that immigrate and become citizens is probably a fraction of what's available for those born in the US.

I'd actually like to see that myself. Everything I've ever researched says there is no Federal money for starting businesses but because I've had personal interaction with those who claim to have gotten Federal aid, I took them at their word. (Why would they lie about that if the truth was they busted their butts, lived frugally and payed for it themself?)

I've never found conclusive proof and that's part of the reason I started the thread. The other is because it's extremely tough to start your own business unless you already have a good amount of liquid assets.

capologist (2/9/2008)
july425 (2/9/2008)

I'd actually like to see that myself. Everything I've ever researched says there is no Federal money for starting businesses but because I've had personal interaction with those who claim to have gotten Federal aid, I took them at their word. (Why would they lie about that if the truth was they busted their butts, lived frugally and payed for it themself?)

I've never found conclusive proof and that's part of the reason I started the thread. The other is because it's extremely tough to start your own business unless you already have a good amount of liquid assets.

I have 3 friends that got federal grants to start businesses, but part of the stipulations for those particular grants was the location and how the business improves that location. I don't know if all work that way, but I'm sure a grant is supposed to actually enrich more than the person its given too...in other words if you just want to start your own business, get a loan...but if you're willing to open up a franchise in an underserved or more impoverished area, the government will help...and I would bet that what is classified as "underserved" is pretty generous. This is exactly how Magic Johnson got started. He didn't open up all of his franchises with his own money...but because he targeted specific areas he qualified for a grant. I know his businesses definitely revitalized sections of Inglewood and South Central LA...so it was more than worth it overall, even if he was a millionaire already. I don't know if that article is online, but I read this on Magic in Black Enterprise magazine a long time ago.

july425 (2/9/2008)

I have 3 friends that got federal grants to start businesses, but part of the stipulations for those particular grants was the location and how the business improves that location. I don't know if all work that way, but I'm sure a grant is supposed to actually enrich more than the person its given too...in other words if you just want to start your own business, get a loan...but if you're willing to open up a franchise in an underserved or more impoverished area, the government will help...and I would bet that what is classified as "underserved" is pretty generous. This is exactly how Magic Johnson got started. He didn't open up all of his franchises with his own money...but because he targeted specific areas he qualified for a grant. I know his businesses definitely revitalized sections of Inglewood and South Central LA...so it was more than worth it overall, even if he was a millionaire already. I don't know if that article is online, but I read this on Magic in Black Enterprise magazine a long time ago.

That's the thing though, these hotels, convenient stores, etc aren't in those locales. Are you sure your friends didn't get state grants? I've never seen anything stating Feds have business grants. I'd love to actually find proof of these grants so I know what is available and what conditions have to be met or if it's by ethnicity...

capologist (2/9/2008)
july425 (2/9/2008)

That's the thing though, these hotels, convenient stores, etc aren't in those locales. Are you sure your friends didn't get state grants? I've never seen anything stating Feds have business grants. I'd love to actually find proof of these grants so I know what is available and what conditions have to be met or if it's by ethnicity...

Well, like I said, I think a location can be considered "underserved" in ways that aren't obvious to the naked eye. Underserved doesn't mean poor so if you can prove a real need, that might be all you have to do. One friend opened up a daycare center specifically for people that work at night (guess that makes it a nightcare center), she got pretty much all of the money for the building, equipment, salaries for employees for the first few years, tax exemptions, the works. The center is in a very nice area, but obviously there aren't too many of those type childcare centers anywhere. Her grant was ridiculously large, but in retrospect, she did provide a real service that was needed. I thought it was a federal grant, but I never asked so I cant say.

Isn't the Small Business Administration a federal agency? I thought that was mainly what they do, grant federal money.

That's like saying why many medical doctors in the US are of Indian (South Asian) descent. Why is it that out of the 20+ graduate students in my mechanical engineering department, only 2 are Americans (Mostly East Asians and two Indians)? The department heads for both the mechanical and electrical engineering departments are both Indian?

Let's not go into this. There are people who are involved in all businesses in all races. Generalizations are fallacies.

capologist (2/9/2008)

Any ideas?

Don't forget Philly Connection. ;)

july425 (2/9/2008)

Well, like I said, I think a location can be considered "underserved" in ways that aren't obvious to the naked eye. Underserved doesn't mean poor so if you can prove a real need, that might be all you have to do. One friend opened up a daycare center specifically for people that work at night (guess that makes it a nightcare center), she got pretty much all of the money for the building, equipment, salaries for employees for the first few years, tax exemptions, the works. The center is in a very nice area, but obviously there aren't too many of those type childcare centers anywhere. Her grant was ridiculously large, but in retrospect, she did provide a real service that was needed. I thought it was a federal grant, but I never asked so I cant say.

Isn't the Small Business Administration a federal agency? I thought that was mainly what they do, grant federal money.

Very interesting. The SBA is an indepedent federal agency. It offers loans but not grants.

womfalcs3 (2/9/2008)
That's like saying why many medical doctors in the US are of Indian (South Asian) descent. Why is it that out of the 20+ graduate students in my mechanical engineering department, only 2 are Americans (Mostly East Asians and two Indians)? The department heads for both the mechanical and electrical engineering departments are both Indian?

Let's not go into this. There are people who are involved in all businesses in all races. Generalizations are fallacies.

Actually, that's apples to oranges. It's not about "race" which is what your comment was addressing. This is about grants to immigrants, if they do exist, and what kind of grant they are getting to start businesses. What people choose to get educated in isn't pertinent to that discussion. I used Indians strictly as an example of small businesses that are commonly owned by immigrants. By the way, that example was interesting enough for the USA Today to do an article on it...

I quoted this from a website that came up when I googled "business grants for immigrants."

The government is subsidizing them.

Few Americans know it, but many immigrant businesses originate in preferential financing or loan set-asides from the Small Business Administration.

The same kind of thing occurs with home ownership. Congress has created two corporations, known as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, to help Americans own their own homes. These federally chartered corporations are designed to make financing for home mortgages easier to get.

Both of them have decided to make this funding easier for immigrants to get.

Fannie Mae has a New Americans program (part of their "Trillion Dollar Commitment" which is designed to help foreigners who don't speak English very well borrow money.

Well, what's wrong with that?" Some people might ask. "As long as they're American citizens, don't they have just as much right to a slice of this gravy train as any one else?"

Well, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have been lending to resident aliens too, although allegedly insisting that they be legally resident. And Fannie Mae now has a home mortgage program designed to provide mortgage loans to illegal aliens. Cheap!

It works like this: Fannie Mae says it believes in fighting all kinds of "discrimination" in mortgage lending. In addition to fighting the discrimination rational lenders feel towards giving a mortgage to someone with no down payment and a low income, they have recently started a program in their "Border Region" called the "NCLR Pilot Program." Guess what discrimination this is going to combat. As Fannie Mae boasts on its website:

National Council of La Raza (NCLR) Pilot A pilot developed with NCLR to address barriers to homeownership for Hispanic communities. It waives the requirement that borrowers provide evidence of permanent resident alien cards and allows for a down payment of the lesser of $1,000 or 3 percent.

American taxpayers are being forced to subsidize their own displacement - on a scale not seen since 1532, when Hispanic immigrant Francisco Pizarro made the Inca fill an entire room with gold.

capologist (2/10/2008)
saint vitus (2/10/2008)
No problem, but it's a sad day when you're more likely to realize the "American dream"

by not being "American" to begin with.

I agree. I think you'd give your own citizens those opportunities before those from another country...

It's not that our own citizens don't have these opportunities, it's that if you're a

foreign born resident(not necessarily legal), it's much more accessable to get home

or business loans with much lower mortgage/interest rates.

For us American born english speaking residents, more red tape, which means more a chance of being denied.

saint vitus (2/11/2008)

It's not that our own citizens don't have these opportunities, it's that if you're a

foreign born resident(not necessarily legal), it's much more accessable to get home

or business loans with much lower mortgage/interest rates.

For us American born english speaking residents, more red tape, which means more a chance of being denied.

And that's the opportunities I speak of. If there are easier loans to obtain or grants given out then I think those should go to American born citizens first.

capologist (2/9/2008)

Any ideas?

This is simple.

The globalists want to get rid of all national sovereignty and identity. It is also why they were pushing for blanket amnesty so hard.

The same thing is happening in the UK and its all about a push towards world government.

Biloxifalcon (2/11/2008)
Thanks for asking the question Cap. I had always wondered about that myself. Unfortunately, being an American citizen, I'm ineligible for a lot of "grants/loans" available to even "illegal aliens". ****!

maybe you should make sure to not support them? don't get rides in taxis that have alien drivers? don't shop in stores that have alien clerks? don't buy blizzards?

capologist (2/11/2008)

And that's the opportunities I speak of. If there are easier loans to obtain or grants given out then I think those should go to American born citizens first.

I am sure they are out there, we just don't know about them. I mean, that's how Matthew Lesko has made his money....telling Americans how to get the government to help them start their own businesses.