Sometimes you just have to let go

Atlanta Falcons running back Warrick Dunn has had a long and honorable NFL career. He has 10,181 career rushing yards and 62 career touchdowns, and he may be an even better person off the field than he is a player on the field, devoting much of his money and much of his time to the organization he founded that buys homes for families that can't otherwise afford them.

But let's be blunt: The 33-year-old Dunn is just not a good football player anymore. He averaged 3.2 yards a carry in 2007, and every touch he got was a touch that Jerious Norwood should have gotten. It's just a simple fact of life, he's gotten old. On top of all that, under his current contract, Dunn would cost $6.2 million against the Falcons' 2008 salary cap, which would make him the fourth most expensive running back in the entire league.

So that's why it's a little baffling that the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that "it is a tough choice" whether the Falcons are going to keep Dunn. It actually strikes me as a very easy decision: There's just no way the Falcons are going to keep Dunn, unless he's willing to play for the league minimum for 10-year veterans and understands that he has to compete for a roster spot.

The most likely scenario is that Dunn will choose to walk away some time this off-season. If he doesn't, the Falcons should make the decision for him.

NOBODY HATES TO SEE DUNN GO MORE THAN I. BUT TIME GETS THE BEST OF US ALL. HE DID A LOT OF GOOD THINGS FOR US AND FOR THAT I AM GREATFUL TO HIM. HE'S NOT JUST A FOOTBALL PLAYER HE IS A GOOD MAN. I HATE TO SEE THE GOOD ONES JUST STAY TOO LONG. TIME SLOWS THE BEST OF THEM. IT IS THE GREAT EQUILIZER. I HOPE DUNN STEPS OUT WITH THE DIGNITY THAT HE DESERVES.:)

If Dunn was willing to be released, then re-signed with a vet minimum salary I would love to keep him.

He would be the best 3rd down back in the league....solid receiver and can block like its no one's business.

His carries would come mostly out of shotgun, and would get a chance to play another year without putting too big a toll on his body. Only touching the ball 6 times a game would keep his legs fresh, and his stamina up.

I agree,

Warrick has had a great career, 10,000 yards is a huge milestone.

But I got the strange feeling that everytime he got the ball last year it was out of pity.

Sounds odd maybe, but thats how it seemed to me.

I mean really how many teams would continue to give a guy carres with barely a 3.5 ypc average?

He is ineffective at best, granted our O-line is nothing to write home about but even so his production was dissapointing. He is taking up alot of cap space (didn't know it was as much as was listed earlier in this post), and a roster spot.

Thanks Warrick you've had great career but its time for the Falcons ot move on.

A while? I think a 1000 yard season just two years ago kind of hurts your argument. Yes many argue that his production fell off in the second half of the season in 06 then again, so did everyone's........

Yes his days are coming to an end in the NFL, but also the haters have been absolutely insane when it comes to this guy. Anyone that can't recognize that he was a very good running back overall, while with us, just plain doesn't want to see it.

REV.2000 (2/8/2008)
NOBODY HATES TO SEE DUNN GO MORE THAN I. BUT TIME GETS THE BEST OF US ALL. HE DID A LOT OF GOOD THINGS FOR US AND FOR THAT I AM GREATFUL TO HIM. HE'S NOT JUST A FOOTBALL PLAYER HE IS A GOOD MAN. I HATE TO SEE THE GOOD ONES JUST STAY TOO LONG. TIME SLOWS THE BEST OF THEM. IT IS THE GREAT EQUILIZER. I HOPE DUNN STEPS OUT WITH THE DIGNITY THAT HE DESERVES.:)

agreed

I think he has too much pride to walk. You don't do the things a guy of his size does, without a ton of work and a **** of a lot of pride.

We either cut him, or make him take a pay cut.

The guy has been a great player for us, and a class act. It is truly a shame that we will likely have to make a decision for our football team that is going to further ##### off some of our fans.

before I say this let it be know I love dunn he was one of the faces of the franchise,

but dunn's production was dew 2 the fact that vick was a threat 2 run on any given down.

No one questions his ability 2 play,but coachs don't fear him and neither do players.Lets be honest the man's gotta go.